1Password (Mac) odd behaviour

Options
BlackMacX
BlackMacX
Community Member

Hi,

Since the new version (8.10.30) on Mac; but only since my reboot of my Mac Mini M1 on April 18th, 2024, has 1Password shown a new and odd behaviour, that being it will repeatedly launch the app when only the Finder is running and not Safari (which is what I use as a web browser and have the 1Password Extension (2.22.1) installed on) running. I have repeatedly quick 1P and it will still relaunch, roughly once every few minutes thereafter. I haven't changed any settings from the prior version of the 1P desktop version either. I have 1P set to Start at Login (via the General pane in 1P and that's not changed either).

I have disabled the Start at Login, and also checked that it was disabled in the Mac Login Items settings System Settings > General > Login Items > 1Password.app (toggled off) and rebooted. That prevents the 1P browser extension from working (which is what I would expect). After the reboot, 1P doesn't repeatedly launch; but as noted above, I cannot use the browser extension therefore.

Re-enabling the Start at Login in 1P, turns on the Login Items 1Password.app login items on the Mac (as expected); but this does also, after the reboot, cause 1Password (the app) to re-launch every few minutes, regardless of what I am doing.

Has anyone experienced this, this is the first time I have in all my years of using 1P (going back to v3). If you have, how have you stopped this rather annoying behaviour?

Cheers,

Anthony

1Password Version: 8.10.30
Extension Version: 2.22.1
OS Version: Mac OS 14.4.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @BlackMacX! 👋

I'm sorry that 1Password is opening unexpectedly on your Mac. When 1Password opens is it the main window that is opening? Or something else? I don't recommend that you add 1Password to the Open at Login list since 1Password launches automatically at startup using a different method. Please try these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click General.
    5. Make sure that both "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" and "Open at Login" are turned on.
    6. Click Browser.
    7. Make sure that "Connect with 1Password in the browser" is turned on.

Then check your system settings:

1. Click on the  in the menu bar and click System Settings.
    2. Click General and then Login Items.
    3. Remove 1Password from Open at Login.
    4. Make sure that 1Password is enabled for Allow in the Background.

Then, completely close 1Password by right-clicking on the menu bar icon and clicking Quit. Reopen 1Password and let me know if you still see the same issue.

-Dave

• BlackMacX
    BlackMacX
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave_1P,

So, I generally didn't have the 1Password menubar item enabled and haven't for all prior version. But in this new version of 1Password, it keeps auto-launching unless the 1Password menubar item, is running. This maybe a corrupt preference file; but whatever it be, it is a change in how 1Password functioned and was not expected.

That said, I consider this topic closed.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@BlackMacX

Thanks for the reply. If you have app integration turned on for 1Password in the browser then I would expect the desktop app to open when you try to unlock 1Password in Safari. However, if your browser is closed then 1Password shouldn't opening randomly just because the menu bar icon is turned off even if app integration is turned on.

If you're interested in helping me to investigate this further, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac after reproducing the issue one more time:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave