Custom Fields: can't see all data when opening record on iPhone/iOS

Options
FrankBreech
FrankBreech
Community Member
edited April 26 in iOS

Hello!
I'm using iOS v. 8.10.31 and on PC v. 8.10.30 81030032 on Production channel.

On the windows version, I'll open a note with custom fields in it, and they fully display all the data on the screen: the field title and the field contents.

However, on iOS version, the field titles show up, but just a little bit of the contents.

I would like to see all fields fully expanded when I open a record on iOS.

Can this please be changed? It's an impediment to using 1PW.

Thank you!

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @FrankBreech! 👋

Thank you for reaching out. I can't reproduce the same issue using 1Password on my own iPhone, when I create a long text field then I see the complete text in that field when viewing the item. So that I can better understand the situation can you tell me the following:

1. If you add a new custom text field to the item using 1Password for iOS then do you see the same issue there: Customize your 1Password items
    2. How many characters long is the note in one of the fields that isn't displaying correctly?
    3. How did you add that custom field, using 1Password 8 on your iPhone or on a different device?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• FrankBreech
    FrankBreech
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Dave! These are records I've imported from Bitwarden, i'm pretty sure. I'll go ahead and create a new login record from scratch within iOS 1password and see if the fields fully show up on my iPhone.

I will get back to you today. Thanks again!

• FrankBreech
    FrankBreech
    Community Member
    Options

oK so it worked: when I create a new record from within PC 1password (windows) and i add a field: Text, it shows the full field(s) on the screen both on PC and on iOS iPhone.

I think the issue is that when I imported all my records from Bitwarden (or any other password manager I would imagine) I mapped my prior-password manager data to what I labeled the column as "Custom", but didn't assign it a (i suppose) proper 1password field name. I will work on this and attach photos and then try to troubleshoot it until I get it to work and then I'll post the solution if I can get one.

Meanwhile, here's my "fixed" new record, created from scratch with 1PW and showing all the field data on iOS:

• FrankBreech
    FrankBreech
    Community Member
    Options

ok, I tried re-importing all my passwords using MrC's converter, This time it didn't ask me to map all fields ( I don't know what I did differently, sorry), it just generated a MCS_converted.1pux file and 1PW directly imported it. When it did, it was the same: all my discrete custom fields from Bitwarden (some records have one or 2, some 5-7) get lumped all into one "Other Field" titled "Custom" and it merges them all together into one long string of characters. This is painful as i have over 2k records, and I cringe at going thru each one and teasing out all the data to make separate text fields in 1PW. Thoughts?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@FrankBreech

Thank you for the detailed explanation, pinging @MrC to see if they have any thoughts here. 🙂

-Dave

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@FrankBreech

I saw this post the other day, and wondered if you might run into trouble with your custom field labels. I agree that trying to clean-up 2k records would be a slog.

If you still have the data in BitWarden, and want to use the suite, then you'll get better results using the bitwarden converter itself (and it wants a JSON export, not CSV)). Otherwise, you'd use the csv converter.

Either way, fields unknown to converters get placed into the record's Notes in the form of Label: Value, and Notes is just a large string field. Converters can instead place custom fields into a custom fields by using the --addfields option. The csv converter enables this automatically.

Which converter did you use? From your problem explanation, it seems like you use the bitwarden converter without specifying --addfields. Is this correct?

I'm confused by your mention of "Other Field". Using the --addfields option would create a section named "Original Fields". Perhaps just some more clarification could help.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@FrankBreech

Just checking in to see if you still need help.