Issue with the option to update password

Options
KitCoderR2
KitCoderR2
Community Member
edited April 25 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm reaching out to the help community regarding an issue I've been experiencing with 1Password.com. I've encountered a recurring problem: the absence of an option to update an account's password when it's incorrect or outdated. Given the multitude of accounts I manage, it's common to reset passwords or encounter inactive accounts, especially when importing a large volume of credentials from the keychain.

Across various browsers, including both public and beta versions, as well as using 1Password** Beta** on OSX, I've noticed that when I attempt to log in to a website using suggested credentials and they prove to be incorrect, I don't receive the prompt asking if I'd like to update the password. Instead, I'm required to manually initiate the update process. While seemingly trivial, this manual process becomes laborious given the extensive number of accounts I handle, particularly as an API developer with numerous SaaS products under management.

Previously, I recall Safari and Firefox consistently offering the option to update passwords when typing in the correct one or initiating a password reset. However, this functionality seems to have been absent from 1Password for some time now. Despite testing across different 1Password builds (stable, beta, nightly) and browser plugins (Safari, Chrome, Brave, Opera, Firefox), I've been unable to resolve this issue. Even on different computers, I've experienced the same behavior, leading me to suspect a change possibly related to the introduction of PassKeys which I noticed around the same time when I noticed this.

I've diligently followed each changelog, yet I'm unaware of any alterations that might explain this behavior. While I understand that manual updates are manageable, I'm eager to explore any potential workarounds until a resolution is found. Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

**Note: **If this ends up being something really simple and I managed to miss it, I apologize to all those who have read this lol...

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac Stable to 8.10.32 (81032024)
Extension Version: 2.22.1 22200104 - Stable Release
OS Version: macOS 14.5 & Beta version 3 on development system
Browser: Safari, Chrome, Brave, Firefox, Firefox Developer

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @KitCoderR2! 👋

Thank you for reaching out. If you try to fill a password using 1Password in the browser and the website responds that your password is incorrect then you can update your password by following these steps:

1. In the password field on the website in question type in your correct password.
    2. Click the Save in 1Password button that appears.
    3. Make sure that the appropriate login item is selected and then click Update.

Does that fit your use case? Let me know if I misunderstood the situation. 🙂

-Dave