Passkeys don't work with Chrome Extension 2.23.1 and OTP is irregular too

Options
happycappie
happycappie
Community Member
edited April 30 in 1Password in the Browser

Ever since Chrome Extension 2.23.1, Passkeys do not work when trying to sign in to a web app that has worked for months. The app's error notification is "WebAuthn::AuthenticatorDataVerificationError".

I cannot replicate this on the same computer using Firefox nor Edge.

It works fine also on my Mac using Chrome Extension 2.21.1.

Other weird things on 2.23.1:

• OTP codes only work sometimes, even if well within the 30 second validity window. See video.
  • After signing in using OTP, 1Password extension sometimes prompts me to save a Passkey

Here you can see the video of irregular OTP which shows how after it worked the first time, subsequent attempts do not work as expected.

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.10.30 (81030032)
Extension Version: 2.23.1
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @happycappie! 👋

I'm sorry that signing in using a passkey and filling your one-time password aren't working properly. You mentioned that you have a video, can you send an email to support+forum@1Password.com with a link to this thread?

After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message send you a secure upload link so that you can share the video with our support team and have them investigate this further.

-Dave

• happycappie
    happycappie
    Community Member
    Options

Here is the video regarding OTP that is behaving in unexpected ways: https://www.loom.com/share/c947dc23e7254198a173b9dbeaad41d9?sid=4dc059db-6726-482f-8ed8-488f6f164b04

Will add support ID when received from BitBot.

• happycappie
    happycappie
    Community Member
    Options

Support ticket ID: VVQ-54754-997

• happycappie
    happycappie
    Community Member
    Options

We debugged the rails web app some more and it appears that an issue with Chrome Extension 2.23.1 is related to the length (# of bytes) of the authenticator data received from 1Password.

We are expecting to receive 37 bytes but Chrome extension is sending 38 bytes. Here is some detail from engineering on how output from Chrome vs Safari extensions differ:

https://github.com/cedarcode/webauthn-ruby/blob/master/lib/webauthn/authenticator_data.rb#L135

• Dave_1P
    Options

@happycappie

Thank you for posting the Support ID and for the additional information. I've made sure that your ticket is with the correct team and one of my colleagues will send you a reply as soon as possible.

Since we have a communications channel open via email, I'm closing this thread. 🙂

-Dave

ref: QYD-66521-912

This discussion has been closed.