Passkey support in Lockdown mode

Options
BigBobbyTables
BigBobbyTables
Community Member

Are there any plans for passkey support in Safari on macOS when lockdown mode is enabled? I'm guessing no, but if no one asks it seems unlikely to ever happen. Previously, 1password indicated that they do not intend to support their browser extension on Safari on systems with lockdown mode turned on (~universal autofill is good enough). However, with the advent of passkeys it would appear that a browser extension is mandatory to add new passkeys to the 1password desktop app.

I admit to being highly confused by the apparent contradiction of phrases such as passkey support requires 'The desktop version of 1Password in the browser. You’ll need our browser extension .. ' so I would be thrilled to find out that getting it to work is a PEBCAK issue. (The browser extension is NOT the desktop app!)

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 14.4.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @BigBobbyTables! 👋

Thanks for reaching out! You're correct that 1Password for Safari isn't supported when using Lockdown Mode. Lockdown Mode disables certain features of the Safari browser that 1Password's extension requires in order to function.

That being said, I can see how the lack of passkey support in Safari while Lockdown Mode is enabled isn't ideal and I've filed a feature request with the team so that they're aware of the situation. For now, you can still save and sign in with passkeys by choosing to scan a QR code using your mobile device. I know that this isn't the best workaround and using a different browser (like Firefox or Chrome) is likely a more convenient option since 1Password extension will still work there even when Lockdown Mode is turned on.

I admit to being highly confused by the apparent contradiction of phrases such as passkey support requires 'The desktop version of 1Password in the browser. You’ll need our browser extension .. ' so I would be thrilled to find out that getting it to work is a PEBCAK issue. (The browser extension is NOT the desktop app!)

I'm sorry for the confusion. "The desktop version of 1Password in the browser" would refer to our browser extension for Mac, Windows, and Linux which we call "1Password in the browser". This isn't referring to the desktop app, the "desktop version" portion is there to differentiate the browser extension for the desktop from our browser extension for mobile (iOS).

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#16841
    ref: dev/web/support.1password.com#3881
    ref: PB-39555062