How to stop password from being hidden in the editing environment

Options
cbw22
cbw22
Community Member
in Mac

I can't express how much I hate the fact that someone at 1password thought it was a good idea to HIDE the password when you are in the editing environment.

It's exposed and legible for all to see when you are reviewing an entry - so why then hide it when you are editing it....?

Does anyone know how to turn this feature off?

I'm using version 8.10.24 and don't recall this being the case in previous iterations of the program.

and i can't find any setting in the preferences to turn it off....perhaps on oversight on my part?

any help is appreciated.

thanks.

cheers-

cindy

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @cbw22! 👋

Thank you for reaching out! 1Password 8 hides the password by default in order to help protect against _shoulder surfing attacks _where someone could see your password by looking at your screen. That being said, you can choose to always show passwords by following these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click Security.
    5. Check "Always show passwords and full credit card numbers".

However, there's currently a bug where this setting won't apply to the edit view. It's in our developer's backlog to address in the future and I'm sorry for the inconvenience. For now, if you click on the password field while in the edit view then the password will be revealed.

I'm using version 8.10.24 and don't recall this being the case in previous iterations of the program.

Version 8.10.24 is an older version of the app and I recommend that you update to the latest version (8.10.30): How to keep 1Password up to date

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#12863

• cbw22
    cbw22
    Community Member
    Options

dear dave,

thanks for your reply and result.

i guess i ran headlong into your 'bug' as i already have that setting checked.

and i certainly understand the impulse to protect one's data from predators but the inconsistency left me confused....hope your team re-codes this soon.

thanks again.

cheers-

cindy

• Dave_1P
    Options

@cbw22

I'm sorry for the confusion that the issue caused. Hopefully the team is able to bring more consistency to when a password is revealed in the edit view in a future update to 1Password.

Thanks again for reporting the issue. 🙂

-Dave