Rant: You can't change behaviour for business customers with same-day notice

Options
mpasqualone
mpasqualone
Community Member

The recent change of renaming "Personal" vault to "Employee" was done with zero notice: https://blog.1password.com/employee-vault/

For us enterprise/business customers, this is infuriating. This creates a massive change in behaviour to our staff and leads to influx of phone calls to our service desks.

Please in future announce these changes with notice to business/enterprise customers so that we announce the upcoming behaviour changes to our staff and service desk staff.

/End rant

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2
    Options

@mpasqualone

The change was communicated to account owners and admins on April 15 via email. I apologize that you might have missed it. It may have become caught in a junk/spam folder.

• Toomas
    Toomas
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with you @mpasqualone

The comm on this has been disastrous, 15 days before for such a change in business/enterprise environments is absolutely ridiculous. On our side it has caused an insane amount of confusion.

I even wonder who is the genius product manager at AgileBits who has decided to enforce this on customers without letting them the choice to revert it or use a custom name for the "Employee" vault.

This is not the first time that AgileBits let us down, the only important thing has always been to sign purchase orders and that's it, all the other things we had asked - we are still waiting them from my account manager months and months after even after numerous reminders.

I am beyond furious about it, I consume more than 60 kEUR in licenses for 1Password yearly and this has seriously made me reconsider my use of 1Password and going to competitors instead even if the migration of all my users would be painful.

Get yourself together AgileBits.

Signed, a furious enterprise customer.

• ag_tommy
    Options

Our blog posting has additional details on why the change happened. I'm sorry that it caused you any trouble. That was not the teams intention.

Introducing Employee Vaults for Teams & Business

• norysang
    norysang
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy unfortunately, I never received that email. I am in the "Owner" group but can't find an email around the 15th of April that would contain such a notice.

• norysang
    norysang
    Community Member
    Options

The recent renaming of the private vault took me, as a business account administrator, somewhat by surprise since there was no prior notification (neither our admins nor owners received the email mentioned here). I understand the rationale behind the change, given that we occasionally experienced confusion between the private business-account vault and the personal account sharing the same name, though it wasn't a significant issue.

However, this change introduces another challenge for our team: we are based in Germany, and AgileBits opted for the translation "Mitarbeiter" for the vault, which is the male German term for "employee." While this may seem appropriate for non-native speakers, the issue arises because we do not only employ male employees. Female employees would rather call themselves "Mitarbeiterin" and non-binary employees may not identify with either label. This is suboptimal. The previous naming had the significant advantage of being gender-neutral.

It's likely that similar challenges exist in other languages, where different words are used based on gender. We would appreciate the ability to globally rename the vault for our business, ensuring that every employee feels represented by the vault's name while maintaining a consistent name throughout or operation.

On a less critical note, the vault name "Employee" is also inaccurate for business owners in presumably many languages, because they are not employees but rather employers. Interestingly, the German translation "Mitarbeiter" (which translates more closely to "Co-Worker") is slightly more accurate than the English "Employee" because technically, every person - even the company's owners - are co-workers, or "Mitarbeiter," of each other.

To finish my post, I'd really appreciate to have editing capabilities of the vault's name on an admin-level. This is something, that should have been introduced in the first place when announcing that change, so that larger businesses can decide if a name change is really optimal for their needs.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser: Not Provided

• ag_tommy
    Options

Thank you folks for your passion and voicing your concerns. I've shared your comments internally for the larger team to view.

@norysang

I've passed along your comments to our products team for further review. Thank you kindly for sharing them with me. You post covers some great examples I can include in my report.

ref: PB-39607488

• ag_tommy
    Options

I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you all. I've been sick with a spring cold.

@norysang

I have passed along your comments, and I must say you have created some internal discussion amongst the team. They are actively talking about your points. Your post has not gone unnoticed.

@mpasqualone @Toomas

The team thinks that they have a handle on what may have occurred. They are looking more into your report.

• matt_horwood_mayden
    matt_horwood_mayden
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, does this all mean that the name for my own vault will change again?

Also it turns out that the name is only changed in the desktop app and web portal, the CLI still shows the original name. For me that Personal

• ag_tommy
    Options

@matt_horwood_mayden

The team is discussing the current behavior of the name change. I'm sure much discussion will be taking place. TL;DR: I have no knowledge of a new name change. I am not part of the team responsible for that.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@matt_horwood_mayden

Apologies, I have also inquired about your CLI question.

• matt_horwood_mayden
    matt_horwood_mayden
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy thanks for the update, ignore the CLI question. I was some versions out of date, an update has fixed it.

I do need to workout how I can push updates out via jamf.

• mpasqualone
    mpasqualone
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

The change was communicated to account owners and admins on April 15 via email. I apologize that you might have missed it. It may have become caught in a junk/spam folder.

Do you want the good news or the bad news first? The good news is our spam filters didn't flag the email as spam, here are our Exchange logs for the past 90 days with some information redacted.

Unfortunately the bad news is, whoever told you internally that the "Change was communicated to account owners and admins on April 15 via email" is lying to you. No email was sent.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@mpasqualone

The team believes your case might have been an edge situation where the message did not go out to you as planned. We do not have access to account specific details here in the community.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@mpasqualone

I talked with the team (more) this morning, and they mentioned they would be happy to look into this in more detail and see if there are any specifics they can provide you. If you'd like, you're always welcome to email us using support+forum@1password.com, and we can direct your email accordingly.