Support for viewing attachments was added in version 4 of 1Password for iOS

Options
glindsey
glindsey
Community Member
edited May 2013 in iOS

Color me "confused"! Maybe I am mistaken, but I have the latest versions of 1Password on both my Mac laptop and on my iPhone, and as far as I can tell, the attachments to the login files that show up beautifully on my 1Password on the Mac, do not seem to be showing up at all on my iPhone. Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@glindsey, what version of 1Password do you have installed on your iOS device(s)? If you're not sure you can just tell me which of the three icons matches the one you are using:

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member
    Options

Khad, I have both of the last two versions of 1Password installed on my iPhone 4S. I just downloaded the newest version of 1Password yesterday, to begin trying it.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Support for viewing attachments was only added in version 4. If you just downloaded version 4 yesterday that's why you weren't able to view attachments before. It was not possible in version 3. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Kyle! Glad to know that I may soon be viewing attachments in 1Password 4.0! For the time being, however, I see no way to get my attachments to the new program. I Wi-Fi sync all my 1Password (v. 3.9.6) stuff from the computer to 1Password (v. 3.7.2) on my iPhone, and then have to sync the stuff from that version of 1Password to the newer version 4.0 of 1Password on my iPhone. So, no way that I can see to sync the attachments, since the new version on the iPhone won't support Wi-Fi syncs, and the old version on the computer won't support Cloud computing. Can't wait for 1Password to come out for the computer, so my troubles will be over!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2013
    Options

iCloud is a version 4 feature. 1Password 4 has only been released on iOS so far, so iCloud syncing is only between iOS devices until 1Password 4 for Mac is released. It's on the way, but I can't give a time frame.

Dropbox has been supported for years, though, and works across all platforms and versions:

Set up Dropbox syncing in 1Password

You can sync right now. No need to wait. :)

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, okay, I will download Dropbox and try it. Who knows, I may love it! But out of curiosity, will USB syncing allow me to do that, also? The iTunes method, btw, sounded way too convoluted! And prone to error by this user!

P.S. I may need help with Dropbox syncing. I've read about it lots, and it sounds difficult to implement. I will keep reading.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yeah, iTunes File Sharing isn't for syncing. It is for manually transferring the data file which is not ideal if you just want everything to always be in sync.

Dropbox syncing is super easy to set up. Just install Dropbox on your Mac, click the button in 1Password's preferences to enable Dropbox syncing, then turn it on in 1Password on your iOS device. I'm not sure how we could make it any easier. But please do let me know if you run into any trouble. :)

The USB sync tool is in beta if you want to try it, but you need to manually plug in your device via USB whenever you want to sync. Nothing is worse than running out the door and forgetting to sync a piece of data you really needed. Dropbox syncing is automatic. There is nothing to remember (or forget, as the case seems to be more often than not). It just works. Your data is just always up to date across all your computers and devices. It's also secure if that was a concern of yours.

From the moment we designed the Agile Keychain data format we ensured that it was able to withstand an attack should your data fall into the wrong hands, either as a result of a Dropbox breach or if someone physically stole your computer. As such, we use AES encryption with PBKDF2 key strengthening to protect your sensitive 1Password data as well as many other mechanisms to stop an attacker from ever accessing your information and we detail this here:

Security of storing 1Password data in the cloud

So, as long as you use a secure master password that you don't use elsewhere, your 1Password data is incredibly safe even when stored on a service like Dropbox. If you're not sure about the strength of your master password, please do take a look at our recent blog post on this:

Toward Better Master Passwords

I can't think of many better ways to show just how strongly 1Password protects your data than by pitting it against the pre-eminent password cracking tool John the Ripper. We did exactly that:

1Password is Ready for John the Ripper

But the choice is yours to make. You can sync via USB if you are cloud averse. :)

1Password USB Syncing

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member
    Options

Khad, of course I ran into trouble trying to use the Dropbox! Right now I hate it. I guess I will learn to love it!

I downloaded Dropbox on both my phone and my computer. Then I enabled dropbox syncing for the iPhone. Then I enabled it for the Mac. So, I got two .ipa files in the Dropbox, one called "1Password 3.7.2.i.p.a" and a second file named "1Password4.2i.p.a.". Then I got a message that said Dropbox was screwed up because I had the two different 1Passwords syncing completely different files to the same box, and not to each other. Weird.

So, then I trashed both files, completely forgetting that I no longer had any 1Password files on this computer. Thought I'd lost everything, then realized that all the files on the iPhone were backed up to the cloud. Restored it from the cloud, but of course, it doesn't have those pesky attachments that I wanted to attach to 1Password.

Then I recalled that Dropbox had mentioned something about being able to retrieve files that had been trashed. So, I did a search on my Mac and found the two 1Password files that had been in the Dropbox. Or maybe they were just duplicates of those files. Who knows?

Meanwhile, 1Password on my computer is asking whether I am a new user or not. I said no, and having retrieved both 1Password files back out of the trash I proceeded to put them both back into the Dropbox. I then pointed out to 1Password on my Mac that the 3.7.2 file that it was seeking was right there in the Dropbox. But the file was greyed out and therefore could not be selected. So, for now, I have synced my Mac's 1Password application with the 1Password that is on my iPhone. These files are older, lack the attachments, and lack the neat little icons that I have on the desktop version of 1Password. Bummer!

Is there any way to take this 1Password 3.7.2.i.p.a. and restore it back to the 1 Password on my computer and then take these files and sync them with the 1Password on my iPhone? That way, I'd have the more recent set of data on both my computer and my phone.

See, I tried to tell you that I'd be better off waiting for Password 4 with icloud syncing to be ready for my Mac. All of this trouble just because I wanted to add the pesky attachments to my files on my phone!!!!!!!! I should learn to live with less! -- Less is more, right?

Anyhow, I sure hope you can help me.

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member
    Options

Update: Okay, I figured it out! If I had just done as you said and downloaded DropBox, synced the computer to Dropbox and then synced my iPhone to Dropbox, all would have been well in the kingdom! i had to make things difficult! As is, only lost about an hour or so of updating my files, as everything fortunately had recently been backed up to the Cloud! The "Cloud" must reside in a very sunny sky!

Now if I can just figure out how to sign onto this forum using "Open something or other", I'll be okay. Don't understand that at all!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that Dropbox syncing is working well. :)

Now if I can just figure out how to sign onto this forum using "Open something or other", I'll be okay. Don't understand that at all!

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you provide some more details?

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member
    Options

Khad, I haven't been able to reproduce this error. I was getting something along the lines of, "Sign in with open GL" or something like that. And that was after I clicked the AgileBits Forum login from within 1 Password.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Khad, I haven't been able to reproduce this error. I was getting something along the lines of, "Sign in with open GL" or something like that. And that was after I clicked the AgileBits Forum login from within 1 Password.

I can't imagine what that might be, but please take a screenshot next time you see it (if you ever do). I'd love to help if I know what the issue is. Thanks!

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member
    Options

I reproduced the error, but I can't at the moment tell you the steps that led up to the error! All I know is that after launching the AgileBits login from within Password, when I clicked on "Sign in", I was greeted with this web page that instructed me to "Sign In with OpenID" followed by the message to "enter my OPen ID Url". I was and am at a loss to know what my "Open ID Url is", or why I was getting that message. Here is a url to a screenshot of the web page that I encountered when trying to log onto these forums: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s216/sh/57749dba-f15e-4302-bd3f-e402fa65cb56/9d162d7ca74bd701a4c23790dd972942.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Oh, you're just being directed to the OpenID login page. Make sure the URL you have saved in your Login for this forum is:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin

And don't tap anything that says OpenID. You should be fine. :)

This discussion has been closed.