Suggestions for Dropbox support

Options

I really love 1password, it really changed my life and is just one beautiful, simple and powerful tool.
The dropbox integration is great, but I still have at least one suggestion and one problem I came over using it!

• by default 1password is creating a folder for its own data in the Dropbox' root directory, which kind of annoys me, because I always keep those places as clean as possible. I read some stuff in this forum and a developer mentioned, the Mac App Store version can't get this done in another way, because of the restriction, Apples Sandbox mode brings with it. But as I'm used to from other App Store Apps (f.ex. iDropCopy), you can get a specific folder in ~/Dropbox/Apps/ by using the Dropbox API which is a much more accurate, good and professional solution!
  • Dropbox is saving (when DB-syncing is on) a settings file right into the dropbox root. Would be a neat feature, but on Mac OS X it uses the name .ws.agile.1Password.settings (the dot at the beginning makes it an invisible item in Mac OS X), f.ex. the Dropbox Webapp still displays this as a normal file, which also isn't as accurate as I want my Dropbox to be. Also looking at this file shows, that it just says, where the keychain sits (1Password/1Password.agilekeychain) which makes this file kind of useless, because this is, as mentioned above, a fixed directory! Or is it possible to just delete this file and it was only created once for a special purpose?

Greetings
lchrist

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

Quote : you can get a specific folder in ~/Dropbox/Apps/

Yes that is true but Dropbox does not allow the sharing of App folders, so if enabled today no one would be able to share the keychain i.e. Husband and wife on different account etc. and the list goes on and on.

Until Dropbox changes this this is the best option. I did see a post in passing where the team mention they have a few ideas to get around this (root level folder) and to look for future updates that may provide a fix, but none is guaranteed.

As to the pointer file :

The .ws.... file is a pointer to the keychain file if you delete it. It will get recreated by 1Password when ever it starts up on your Mac etc.

Its best to leave it intact and un deleted for the immediate future.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ichrist,

@thightower is correct. We have a lot of users who want to share their 1Password data with their family members, coworkers, and so on. So, app sandboxing (the apps folder is a special sandboxed folder from Dropbox) is not the way to go just yet.

In addition, before we can move toward app sandboxing, we also have to update all of the 1Password apps to support this. This takes a lot of time and it is not a simple fix for us.

We have plans as mentioned but no promises and no timeframe on when you might see us do something about this.

This discussion has been closed.