How will we update to 1Password 4 on the Mac App Store?

Mr. Laser Beam
Mr. Laser Beam
Community Member
edited May 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I bought 1Password 3 from the Mac App Store. I understand there will be a free upgrade to version 4, but exactly how will we go about getting it? Will we just download the free upgrade directly from the MAS like it's any other version update, or do we have to get a special download code or something like that?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

It will appear as any other update on the app store. No codes or hurdles to go thru. :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. Just like you updated from 3.9.5 to 3.9.6 you will just update to 4.0 with a click of the "Update" button. :)

• twoseat
    twoseat
    Community Member

How far back does the free update run - is it for recent purchasers, or for all 3 users?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

AFAIK,

Anyone whom has ever purchased 1Password 3 from the Mac App Store , will get the update. Which is one of the Main reasons I purchased a few hours after it appeared. Way back when.

Since there is no way to differentiate between when someone purchased on the Mac App Store and Apple really shares no info with the developers. In this instance it is the customers favor.

If you are referring to the agilebits site any one whom purchased since 1/1/13 will get the free upgrade.

• twoseat
    twoseat
    Community Member

Ah, never mind, just saw your tweet. Thanks for, um, being awesome!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I purchased 3.9 from the App Store, but have never installed it, as I am using 3.8 purchased direct from you. Does 3.9 need to be installed in order to be able to upgrade to 4 when it comes out? Or will the line that currently says "1PW ... INSTALL" change automatically to "1PW 4 ... INSTALL" ?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Ah, never mind, just saw your tweet. Thanks for, um, being awesome!

:D

I purchased 3.9 from the App Store, but have never installed it, as I am using 3.8 purchased direct from you. Does 3.9 need to be installed in order to be able to upgrade to 4 when it comes out? Or will the line that currently says "1PW ... INSTALL" change automatically to "1PW 4 ... INSTALL" ?

I'm not sure I follow you exactly, but unless you have purchased 1Password 3 from our own online store sometime in 2013 you will "only" be able to install 1Password 4 from the Mac App Store.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Yes, I understand that I'll try and make my question clearer.

Version 4 from the App Store will be a free upgrade from version 3.9, and I have purchased 3.9. My question is whether I will have access to 4 given that I never bothered to actually install 3.9, just purchased it. I guess that depends on how the App Store works, which I don't know.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2013

My question is whether I will have access to 4 given that I never bothered to actually install 3.9, just purchased it.

Yes. Your purchase is never invalidated. It doesn't matter if you never installed 1Password 3.9. Once 1Password 4 is released you will only be able to install 1Password 4 from the Mac App Store. 1Password 3.9 will no longer be available. Just download 1Password as a past purchase and the version you will be downloading will be version 4 (once it has been released). You're all set. ;)

• GerTeunis
    GerTeunis
    Community Member

Man, I really really feel left out after I thought doing the right thing for you guys: getting a license directly at your site. Thought I would help you with that with maximum profit. Yet we don't get a free update. Last time I keep developers in mind.

This combined with the choice you made to not fix 1password 3 for iOS: a nice combination to get Max money

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@GerTeunis, if you purchased 1Password 3 for Mac directly from our own online store at any time in 2013 you will get a free upgrade to 1Password 4 for Mac when it comes out. We would do the same on the Mac App Store, but Apple provides to way to specify that only users who purchased after a certain date will get an update. So we decided to be more generous and give the update to everyone who purchased on the Mac App Store. The alternative would be to not give the update to anyone on the Mac App Store. There is no middle ground there. Apple simply doesn't provide the ability to do that. Either the update is free to everyone who purchased on the Mac App Store or it is not free to anyone who purchased on the Mac App Store. Which would you have chosen? We like the more generous option.

• dfogh
    dfogh
    Community Member
    edited August 2013

Wow this is very exciting. One must assume that you have something really good in waiting for people who prepaid for version 4 back in 2011 and now finds that they wont be able to use v4 because they don't use osx 10.8?

• Mostfoolish
    Mostfoolish
    Community Member

Evidently, I bought my version of 1Password from your site back in 2010 (no idea what the version was when I bought it -but it's 3.8.21 currently). I keep reading that anyone that purchased it after 2013 gets a free upgrade 1Password 4. Am I to understand that anyone that bought it previous to 2013 would have to re-purchase 1Password 4?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I believe you have to re-purchase, but not at full price. Check this:

https://agilebits.com/store/upgrade?product_id=109

This discussion has been closed.