Keyboard shortcut works intermittently

Options
doskei
doskei
Community Member
edited March 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Most of the data is right there in the title. On a daily basis, there seems to be a random chance that my keyboard shortcut (never changed from ctrl+) will respond. I almost always use Firefox, and I keep both it and 1Password up to date. The behavior happens in other browsers as well (at this moment is it nonfunctional in Firefox, Chrome, and IE).

This has been happening for what feels like eternity - certainly at least six months, though possibly as long as a year. Sometimes it will work consistently on all my computers for weeks at a time, sometimes there are some "problem" computers and some not, and other times all my computers are hit or miss on a daily basis.

I am guessing this has something to do with the 1pass helper functionality, and I'm happy to provide whatever information AB would like for troubleshooting. Mostly though, I just want the damn thing to work. I love this product and I need it to do its job - it slows me down way too much when it's broken.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble. I'd encourage you to contact us sooner next time you have some trouble. There is no need to be frustrated for six months. We're here to help. :)

I would be frustrated too if the keyboard shortcut wasn't working for me. It is an integral part of my daily workflow. Let's see if we can get it working as well for you as it is for others and myself.

You're guess about it being related to the Helper is correct. The keyboard shortcuts are controlled not by the browser extensions themselves but by the Helper.

When you are having trouble using the keyboard shortcut, please generate a Diagnostics Report. Select Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File from the menu bar in 1Password. You might want to rename the file so that you know that the report was generated when you were having trouble since you'll be generating a new report momentarily.

Restart the Helper by selecting Help > Restart 1Password Helper from the menu bar.

Does that restore the keyboard shortcut functionality? Please let me know and then generate a new Diagnostics Report after restarting the Helper.

Then attach the reports to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Denys Davydov
    Denys Davydov
    Community Member
    Options

I have this problem everytime after wake up from sleep mode. It's very annoying. I often use sleep mode and can't use hotkey because of this.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry to hear that, Denys. Have you emailed us the Diagnostics Reports as requested above?

• Denys Davydov
    Denys Davydov
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I already send the Diagnostics Report (may be year ago). Only tip I was recieve - restart Helper after every wake up. But it's annoying for me too.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2013
    Options

Ah, yes. I see your support ticket in our email from about a year ago (PBE-82782-227). What would be helpful at this stage is if you would follow the steps I provided above to generate one report, restart the Helper, and then generate another report right afterwards. That might give us a better chance to see what is happening.

• Denys Davydov
    Denys Davydov
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, khad, I sent new report to email.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, Denys! It may prove to be very helpful indeed to see both of those reports — generated before and after you restart the Helper.

• Denys Davydov
    Denys Davydov
    Community Member
    Options

khad, I sent new report (after restart 1Pass helper). Hope it help you to fix problem.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you very much! We'll continue to work with you via email.

• artoor
    artoor
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, please let me join this thread. I've been using 1Password for few days, and I expierience probably the same problem as Doskei. Actually I don't know if it happens after waking up from sleep mode, because I don't use it, but usually when I turn my laptop on, shortcut doesn't work. Sometimes it does, another time when I restart Firefox it does, but not always.

I followed khad's instruction to generate 2 reports, but after restarting 1Password Helper shortcut still haven't worked. So I restarted firefox also, and voila - now it is working. So generated the 3rd report. Can I send you three reports in order to diagnose my problem?
    Please be informed, that it happens on both Windows 7 and Windows XP OSs.

Kind regards,
    Artur

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having some trouble with the Helper, @artoor. Please do email us the Diagnostics Reports as indicated in my post above. We will be able to better assist you that way.

Thank you!

• cjmusante
    cjmusante
    Community Member
    Options

Also having the same problem...
    Khad, I'm also having the exact same problem. In my case, 1Password seems to exhibit this behavior after I use Yahoo email, via the Firefox browser. I now try to reduce any chance of using Yahoo mail from Firefox over the course of the day, and this has dramatically reduced the number and frequency incidents of the keyboard shortcuts failing, but they still appear.
    Also, perhaps I've missed it, but it is not clear to me what the procedure is for us to restart a service or process in Windows, when this problem occurs. Right now, it seems that the only way to get the keyboard shortcuts to recover is with a reboot. Is there a more sensible way of doing this?
    Also, if will help you guys narrow down the problem, I'm happy to generate the log files that you ask for. Who do I send them to?
    Lastly, this is a really good product, but the fact that it seems to have such low reliability is really becoming an issue.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

…it is not clear to me what the procedure is for us to restart a service or process in Windows, when this problem occurs. Right now, it seems that the only way to get the keyboard shortcuts to recover is with a reboot. Is there a more sensible way of doing this?

You can restart the 1Password Helper from the Help menu as I described in my post above.

Please email us a Diagnostics Report as requested in my post above.

Who do I send them to?

Our email address is also listed in my post above.

We look forward to receiving your Diagnostics Report so we can better assist you. Thanks!

• cjmusante
    cjmusante
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Khad,
    I've sent the diagnostics file to the address listed above.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Much appreciated! We will reply as soon as possible. :)

This discussion has been closed.