Dropbox sync conflicts merged into a single Secure Note

glindsey
glindsey
Community Member
edited June 2013 in iOS

Honestly, Khad, I am afraid that you are going to get tired of hearing from me! :)

There is a possible bug that I have encountered when syncing "secure notes: from the iPhone to the Mac: If I have just dropbox syncing enabled on the iPhone, the secure notes seem to sync just fine. But if I should enable both dropbox and cloud syncing at the same time on my iPhone, my most recent secure notes end up being duplicated within the body of the note - i.e. not two notes, but one note that has the same information written to it twice. The note is synced in its entirety, only to be followed by two or three dashes and then a recapture of all the information that preceded the dashes written to the note all over again.

This bug is maddening! Each note that has been effected by this error then has to be edited individually to remove the information that has been written to it in duplicate. On a lengthy note, this can take a bit of time. And then, the next time that I happen to enable cloud syncing again in addition to dropbox syncing, this same sort of duplication of information will happen again!

On the phone, this phenomenon may be observed by the fact that dropbox syncing will occur multiple times. You will see the syncing under dropbox complete, and then when cloud syncing is added, the dropbox syncing will occur all over again, sometimes, repeating itself two times in a row.

Oddly enough, notes that I had written but not altered since I installed the new 1Password v. 4.2 on my phone, do not seem to have been affected by this bug.

Please see if the developers can replicate this error. If not, let me know, please, and I will try to give you a step by step description beyond what I already have written to see if you can reproduce the error.

I sure hope that this is a bug that your development team can squash!

Comments

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member

FYI, here is a url which perfectly illustrates the error that I referenced in my above note: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s216/sh/7772aa93-de31-4ded-913d-d0dbaa184c43/319e95eca1d9978c42eae837ca27ed26

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member

Oh, wow, I studied my own illustration, and it is revealing. The bottom half of the secure note that is pictured above is a duplication of the earlier note, but an older version of that note! It's like the cloud syncing had older data and rewrote the older data or copy of the older note to the newer note instead of syncing the newest information to the cloud! Weird!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2013

Honestly, Khad, I am afraid that you are going to get tired of hearing from me!

Never! We appreciate all feedback. It helps us improve 1Password. :)

On the phone, this phenomenon may be observed by the fact that dropbox syncing will occur multiple times. You will see the syncing under dropbox complete, and then when cloud syncing is added, the dropbox syncing will occur all over again, sometimes, repeating itself two times in a row.

I think this is a red herring, but I'm glad you mentioned it just in case.

Oh, wow, I studied my own illustration, and it is revealing. The bottom half of the secure note that is pictured above is a duplication of the earlier note, but an older version of that note! It's like the cloud syncing had older data and rewrote the older data or copy of the older note to the newer note instead of syncing the newest information to the cloud! Weird!

I'm going to ask the team here if anyone else has seen this before. It sounds like behavior that has specifically been built in to the syncing for possible protection against data loss, but I've not seen it myself before. As such, I don't know what might trigger it.

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member

Ah, but it would be so very nice to be able to sync both the the cloud and to the dropbox simultaneously for an extra measure of security! But not if the cloud syncing is going to mess up earlier syncs! Appreciate your looking into this issue for me, Khad.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

1Password is designed to sync simultaneously with iCloud and Dropbox. I'm sure we'll get this issue sorted out. Thanks for your patience. :)

• bpollock
    bpollock
    Community Member

I am having exactly this problem and I'm tired of it.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@bpollock, a Dropbox conflict causes this to happen. 1Password merges the data as a separate section so you don't lose anything. However, since Secure Note items don't yet have sections, it is merged into the existing note.

I think it may help to indicate that the bottom portion is a conflict.

This discussion has been closed.