Multiple Chrome Users

For years I've used 1P with both Safari and Chrome, no problems. Then work migrated to Google Mail and I needed to make a separate user in Chrome to deal with the two Google identities. Now when I'm in my work user and I activate the 1P extension it comes up behind the window in my original user.

How can I get the extension to work with both users?
Chrome Version 25.0.1364.172
1P Version 3.8.20 (build 31499)
OS X 10.8.2

Thanks!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

This is a known issue with keyboard shortcuts and multiple Chrome users (RM2943). If a window from the default profile is open, it receives the keyboard shortcut. If a window from the default profile is not open, the keyboard shortcuts just appears to fail — except if you quit Chrome and re-open it as the non-default user. Then it should work as expected.

This should be easier to deal with using the chrome.commands APIs, but, offhand, I'm not sure if they are available in the stable channel yet.

• JacobSG
    JacobSG
    Community Member

This is frustrating me also.

From that chrome.commands argument, is there any way to the shortcut to work on whatever window I have in Focus?

I have my personal Chrome on it's own Desktop/Screen, and my work one on my main screen.
    At first, it was only working on my Work Chrome. When I re-loaded Chrome for an update, it's now only working on my Personal.
    I assume it's loading onto whichever Chrome instance loads first.

I can't easily open one instance or another first, as I have a bad habit of keeping tabs up.

• bananastand
    bananastand
    Community Member

There's another way to handle this, using Chrome's support for keyboard shortcuts.

1. Go to chrome://extensions
    2. Scroll to the bottom, click on "Keyboard Shortcuts"
    3. Set a shortcut. You cannot do the default 1P shortcut since that'll activate it in the primary user. I use CMD+Shift+P
    4. Repeat for the other Chrome user

All set!

• DavidTO
    DavidTO
    Community Member

Took me a minute to get that to work, since the extension wasn't installed for the other user...which couldn't have helped in the first place! I never realized you had to install the extensions for each user.

Anyway, I'm all set now. Thanks for the hot tip!

This discussion has been closed.