Hundreds of agile keychains in multiple folders in Dropbox

Pluto6
Pluto6
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for several years, used multiple versions, etc. I have literally hundreds of keychains in Dropbox in multiple folders. They probably don't cause a problem, but maybe there are some good reasons to delete all the unnecessary ones?

Can anyone tell me what folder / file(s) should be kept, and can I just delete all the others? Even when I sort by creation date it is not so clear. For instance I have several keychains created in the last couple weeks, but I have changed things in the past few days, but don't have corresponding keychains created a couple days ago. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I have literally hundreds of keychains in Dropbox in multiple folders.

Do you mean actual 1Password.agilekeychain file bundles? Or are you referring to the 1Password.html file?

If the latter then you can simply delete all the copies of 1Password.html (including the original). Then open 1Password on your iOS device. 1Password.html will be recreated.

If the former, this scenario can happen when you already have a 1Password data file in your Dropbox folder but decline to use it when 1Password asks you to do so. In that case 1Password will ignore the data file in your Dropbox folder and create one in your Library folder. if you later decide to move your data file to Dropbox the existing data file will be renamed and set aside. Only one data file should be located in your Dropbox folder, though, to avoid confusion.

What is the location of the data file listed in 1Password for Mac's preferences on the General pane? That is the active data file. Just to double-check, you can also look at the "Modified" date of the files — as you mentioned —to see which one is likely your active data file.

You can archive the file that is not listed in 1Password's preferences and has an older "Modified" date.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

• Pluto6
    Pluto6
    Community Member

Khad,

Thanks for the help. I am not exactly sure what you mean about your discussion of the agilekeychain bundles. I am not sure that I ever declined to use the drop box folder. I get synched across my MacBook Pro, an iPad, iPhone, and a PC (that I don't use anymore) without any issues. Perhaps some pictures can show you, and will help. Maybe I need to reset some things?

Here is what my dropbox on my desktop looks like

This is what it looks like when I access DropBox.com

Within the agilekeychain folder

And then within the sync folder, and then the data folder...

You can see that a number of the files are from 2011.. pretty old, also even the 1Password.html file is a month old despite that I have changed - edited, added, etc to my 1 Password. Does this help to answer my question? The files in the data folder goes on and on... those are just a small sample...

Thanks for the help. You are great!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Those .1password files shown in the last image are your data. You do not want to modify or delete them. ;)

The only the thing that needs to be cleaned up are the HTML files shown in your third screenshot. As I mentioned above:

"[S]imply delete all the copies of 1Password.html (including the original). Then open 1Password on your iOS device. 1Password.html will be recreated."

Everything else is in order. Just don't go poking around inside 1Password.agilekeychain once you get the HTML files sorted out. It is not meant to be modified directly. It is a file bundle which means that on a Mac it shows up as a single file. However, the Dropbox web interface displays it as a folder so you see all of its "guts" if you click into it. Think of it like opening the hood of a car. Unless you are a mechanic, it is best to leave what's under the hood alone. :)

I hope that helps. Please do let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I am happy to help further.

This discussion has been closed.