Questions about syncing options

Options
GeorgeRudd
GeorgeRudd
Community Member
edited March 2013 in iOS

So I was just about to purchase 1Password for my iPad but I stopped when I started to read the recent reviews. It sounds like users can not longer sync over WiFi. Why was this feature removed? What are the syncing options with the new version? Am I forced to put my data on the cloud if I want to use 1PW for iOS?

About two years ago 1password was an awesome product. Then you destroyed it while trying to implement your unified interface across browsers. As a result FireFox users were left with an inferior product compared to it's predecessor. Sluggish, clunky, with a terrible new GUI that was obviously designed by someone that does not use the product (or that has very poor vision) as evident by the giant over-sized font that truncates even short names as you are trying to save new logins.

Here have a look:

Seriously guys, what's the deal with this? If these are the types of poor decisions that you are making (that we can see) how am I supposed to trust the decisions that you are making with the stuff that we cant see...such as the programming that is supposed to keep all of my passwords secure on the cloud?

Comments

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member
    Options

Fellow user here. I have the same issues in terms of syncing, and on top of that the iTunes sync doesn't work as it should (see my thread here: http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/11968/direct-sync-not-updating-entries-on-iphone/). The suggested solution seems to be to use USB sync (http://discussions.agilebits.com/categories/1password-usb-sync), which is still in beta. Not perfect, but at least should work for people who for various reasons can't or don't want to use Dropbox or iCloud.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

George, Wi-Fi syncing never made it into version 4 of 1Password since it was very brittle. You can review the Wi-Fi Sync Troubleshooting Guide yourself to see just how many things could go wrong.

And this list didn't cover everything as we still have customers with unusual network configurations and have never been able to sync via the old Wi-Fi method. It may have worked well for you, but overall it was very frustrating for the majority of users and for us.

There are some valid use cases at the moment where direct sync is needed, though. For example, a really nice fellow from China emailed us explaining that the Great Firewall prevents all Dropbox access and he's been using Wi-Fi syncing as a workaround until the developers add iCloud syncing to 1Password for Mac. We told him to keep using version 3 for now until Mac added iCloud support in the new year.

Then there's the user experience itself: even when Wi-Fi worked it was cumbersome. You had to start 1Password on each device and trigger the sync. If you added new accounts and forgot to sync (or remembered to sync one device but not the other), you'd be without your data.

For 4 years, all we heard about Wi-Fi sync is that it is a huge source of problems and disappointment for our customers. The developers rewrote 1Password from the ground up for version 4. There is no code shared with 1Password 3. Re-implementing Wi-Fi sync again was never on the list.

iTunes File Sharing is more secure than Wi-Fi sync and does not have any of its connectivity issues. It is less convenient, though, so we looked at ways to make things easier and have now rolled out USB syncing in beta form.

If you cannot use Dropbox, you will be able to use iCloud in the new year when it's available on Mac. If you are unable to use iCloud and Dropbox and the iTunes File Sharing doesn't suit your needs, USB syncing is a great option.

We're always evaluating new sync options, and we are very pleased to continue to offer a solution via USB where you can sync without relying on a central server but without all the heartache that Wi-Fi caused.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• GeorgeRudd
    GeorgeRudd
    Community Member
    Options

I purchased your iPhone app. It works great. To be honest, I do not understand the negative reviews.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your support and kind words, George! :D

This discussion has been closed.