Trouble With Potentially Corrupt 1Password Keychain - Need Your Input

All

I have posted this directly to Agilebits support as well but thought I would cross post here to see if anyone else has experienced the same issue as well as for awareness, so here goes.

I have been using 1Password for a few years now and upgraded a few months back again to the Mac App store version (3.9). I use a 3rd party piece of software to sync a backup of my 1password.agilekeychain to my QNAP NAS (either Synk pro or Chronosync). This had been working without issue until a few weeks back when I noticed that the synced version (residing on the QNAP) was a dissected version of the 1Password package and notably that now errors were showing in the sync log around .AppleDouble files.

I deleted the 1Password (sync version) from the NAS and tried a number of new sync setups only to be presented with an error 50 when trying to get this copied over even manually to the NAS. I then upgraded the NAS firmware and saw the same issues again. This left the 1PSW file itself as the last thing I had not started to troubleshoot directly.

So that (misses a lot of steps I know but in the interest of time) bring me to today. I decided to blow away 1PSW and reinstall from the Mac App store again. The first thing I noticed is that the 1PSW keychain file (the one that was not copying) changed icon (not sure if this is relevant). I opened this file with 1PSW and of course all my data was there without issue however it still would not let me copy to the NAS but worked fine copying to other local drives (brings back the NAS as potential culprit I know but bear with me).

So not convinced that it was all just NAS related I moved my rather large 1PSW keychain (1.69GB) out of sight and created a new 1PSW file instead. This worked beautifully and allowed me to copy the new file (granted it was only 323kb) to the NAS without any problem !

This brings me to the potential conclusion that this may be a somewhat corrupt 1PSW file (the older 1.69GB one) or some other weird issue with the NAS. What is interesting is that if I try and restore from backup the old 1PSW data into the new file, it of course creates the same 1.69GB file and again won't let me copy over. Therefore I am not sure how to get my data back to this new database while preserving that new file instead of just reintroducing any of the issues seen before.

I do have an iPad running 1PSW 4 as well so can move data from that but even then it does not seem to copy all items just a handful even though it sees the iPad with 560 items and the Mac with none (therefore I would assume it would copy all).

So that brings me to the end of the post for now. Anyone have any ideas or input ? Very much appreciate any help

Thanks

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

We will continue to work with you via email until everything is resolved, so we are not duplicating efforts. But perhaps other forum members will have something to contribute as well while we are assisting you via email. Thanks for posting, @Wildcat_1!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2013

Actually, I just checked our support system for a support ticket of yours. I was unable to find you. It's entirely possible that you emailed us from an email account that is different than the one you used to sign up for the forums. That was all I had to go on, though, and it returned no results. Have you already received a reply via email? If not, could you let me know via PM what email address you sent your message from? I'd love to follow up.

• Wildcat_1
    Wildcat_1
    Community Member

Khad, thanks for your response, yes I am using a different email address and will PM you.

Just posting a quick update to everyone including yourself. I blew away the 1Password install, reinstalled from the MAS and created a new blank 1PSW file. I then force synced my iPad back to the Mac and finally got it to take every login (took me about 3-4 times). This in turn gave me a 1PSW agilekeychain file of just 1MB (far and away different from the 1.69GB of the original). I then copied this one over to the NAS and voila! it worked.

Obvious concerns are what was going on with the original file that a) it did not copy and gave the parameter (error 50) and b) why is there such a huge difference between the original 1PSW file and the new by some 1.6+ GB and I guess c) the whole icon changing thing just seemed a little strange to me. I have another machine I am going to remove and reinstall on as well (also exhibited the same issues with its 1PSW file) and see if the same changes happen there.

I have kept both the new 1PSW file and the old one so can definitely dig in deeper to them (with the right help) to understand what if anything is different. My next steps are to try Chronos or Synk Pro again and ensure that a) it syncs a backup to the NAS and b) that it doesn't dissect the package.

Will keep this updated with anything else I find and Khad will be PM'g you now

Thanks

WC

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I never got a PM from you, WC. Could you try sending one again? I would love to be able to see your email support ticket to get the full story.

This discussion has been closed.