Cannot search for partial match in passwords

Options

I've recently discovered that I can no longer perform a partial match search on a password in 1Password for Windows.

Let's say I have a login with password "thisisaterriblepassword". It used to be that if I selected the "include notes and passwords in search (slower)" check box and typed "terrible", the login would appear in the search results. Now, it doesn't.

Partial match searching is still working for login names, notes, etc. however. Is this expected behaviour?

I'm using version 1.0.9.332.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi @rgsteele,

Thanks for asking about this. This is by design since we are no longer keeping non-hashed passwords in memory.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• rgsteele
    rgsteele
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Khad. This is a bit of an issue for me since I still have some old passwords that are a "variation on a theme", i.e. a shared password combined with some unique characters derived from the name of the site. I'm trying to get rid of these but I won't be able to do that easily without partial match searching.

Fortunately, this feature still seems to be working in 1Password for Mac so I can do it there, at least for now.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You can also sort by password strength which may group them together depending on their specific construction. Thankfully, once they have been changed you don't have to worry about the issue again.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer, but please do let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

This discussion has been closed.