Using 1P on a thumb drive

Options

Hi:

I'm an apple guy, but have to live in a windows world. So, I have a windows machine at home, but don't like to travel with it (that's what my MacBook is for!) I handle this by making an 'office on a stick.' I have a thumb drive with the portable version of Firefox on it and all the attendant files. So, I just pop the stick in the USB of any old Windows machine and - boom - I have my bookmarks and extensions preconfigure on my version of Firefox... except for one: 1Password. I've stored the windows copy of the program on the drive along with the agile keychain, and the program itself works great. But I can not get the Firefox extension to 'find' the keychain on the thumbdrive. I asks for my password, then gives me the 'connecting' along with an infinite countdown. How can I fix this?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for asking about this, @ScooterNash. The phrase I normally use is that "integration requires integration". That is to say, in order to integrate 1Password into Firefox (or any other browser) via the extension, you must integrate 1Password into the system (i.e. install it).

• ScooterNash
    ScooterNash
    Community Member
    Options

You mean the system as in the hard drive of the computer itself? The program, keychain, Firefox and all the associated files are all on the thumbdrive. But I would have to install them on the hard drive of every computer I use to make it work. Correct? Or am I misunderstanding. I did install into the browser normally. But my goal is to never need to carry around a windows computer.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, you need to install 1Password (i.e. not merely run it off of a USB drive) in order for browser integration to work. The main application should work fine without installation, though. You only need to install 1Password for browser integration.

You can also just use 1PasswordAnywhere by opening the 1Password.html file inside 1Password.agilekeychain if you prefer.

This discussion has been closed.