Setup instructions

Why looky here! I'm posting this from Chromium and I did not need to copy and paste or manually type my password! (party)

Many have been asking for 1Password support for Chrome and we're happy to deliver! We've been having a lot of fun hacking on this and thought some people might want to join in on the fun :)

Before you jump in, please remember that this is an alpha extension running on a beta developer platform, so don't expect much polish. The only features implemented in this version are the ability to unlock 1Password and fill simple Logins.
Polish and more features will come in future updates and thankfully we have the automatic updater working! :)

Here's how to install the 1Password Chrome extension:

1. Make sure you have the latest 1Password 3 installed. Since everything is in a state of flux, you need to keep up with the latest Beta version. Enable Betas in the 1Password > Preferences > Updates window.
  2. Enter this URL into Chrome's address bar: http://aws.cachefly.net/aws/chrome/OnePasswordChrome-0.8.1.crx
  3. Choose Window > Extensions menu, click the Developer mode link, and then click "Update extensions now" button to make sure you have the latest version.

Have fun! If you have any troubles, please review the Chrome Troubleshooting Guide before posting.

Comments

• gray_hat
    edited December 1969
    Thank you for the exciting alpha! I just tried it. While it is indeed rough around the edges, it is impressive to say the least.

I don't see myself opening Safari much more in the future.
  • sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I am on 4.0.295.0, it says it is the latest, but clicking the 1P button isn't doing anything, for example logging in here.

1/17/10 8:35:29 PM Google Chrome Helper[47007] Failed to load '/Users/ME/Library/Application Support/1Password/Extensions/30459/Resources/English/Localizable.strings'

1/17/10 8:35:29 PM Google Chrome Helper[47007] Database (agilekeychain:/Users/ME/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain) load time [NSOperationQueue]: 0.651 (595 objects)

1/17/10 8:35:30 PM Google Chrome Helper[47007] Failed to find 'UnlockKeychain.nib' in '/Users/ME/Library/Application Support/1Password/Extensions/30459/Resources/English/UnlockKeychain.nib'

1/17/10 8:35:30 PM [0x0-0x1468467].com.google.Chrome[46997] 2010-01-17 20:35:30.052 Google Chrome Helper[47007:107] Failed to find 'UnlockKeychain.nib' in '/Users/ME/Library/Application Support/1Password/Extensions/30459/Resources/English/UnlockKeychain.nib'

1/17/10 8:35:30 PM Google Chrome Helper[47007] Inconsistent resource: UnlockKeychain.nib
    Path: /Applications/1Password.app
    Expected version: 30459
    Version found: 30467

etc
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Nothing happens for me (other than seeing a pretty button).

Chrome version 4.0.295.0 dev

1Password Extension - Version: 0.0.4

When I click on the button (upper right corner) it visually acknowledges the click (the button background color changes), but nothing happens. Also I see nothing about 1Password in a contextual menu (probably not implemented yet).

OS X 10.6.2

Cheers,

-j
  • roustem
    edited January 2010
    sriggins wrote:
    I am on 4.0.295.0, it says it is the latest, but clicking the 1P button isn't doing anything, for example logging in here.

1/17/10 8:35:29 PM Google Chrome Helper[47007] Failed to load '/Users/ME/Library/Application Support/1Password/Extensions/30459/Resources/English/Localizable.strings'

1/17/10 8:35:29 PM Google Chrome Helper[47007] Database (agilekeychain:/Users/ME/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain) load time [NSOperationQueue]: 0.651 (595 objects)

Please make sure you have the latest 1Password 3 beta build installed (3.0.3.BETA-8) and then open

chrome://extensions

in Chrome and click "Update extensions now", or click the new link in the first post.
  • ski22
    ski22
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    The newer extension version is working for me now. Thanks !!! Looks like a great Alpha version :smile:
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Extension version 0.0.5 is now working for me. This is being posted with Chrome. This is great news. Obviously there is much work to be done, but it's great that you guys have Chrome talking to 1password.

Cheers,

-j
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    I wasn't really expecting it, but I just tested. I see that there is no HTTP auth support in the Chrome extension.

And is this the thread where you want reports of of issues?

Cheers,

-j
  • miked378
    edited December 1969
    It ain't pretty, but it works! Awesome! I have seriously been checking back just about every day, and mumbling that Chrome wouldn't be useful to me until 1password was supported.

Thanks! Looking forward to continuing to test new versions of the plugin as they become available!

--Mike
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the updates everyone! I'm glad the alpha is treating you pretty well :)

Regarding feedback about this version, there are a lot of things missing that we already know about. For the next few weeks let's just focus on "doesn't work at all" vs. "Yippie! I can login!" type of posts. I hate to damper communication but at the moment there's just too much missing to enumerate each item. Instead, let's focus on the two things that work:

The only features implemented in this version are the ability to unlock 1Password and fill simple Logins. Autosubmit is not implemented yet and the Login form filling algorithm is weak so don't be surprised if it doesn't fill all your Logins.

While this list is small the first step is always the hardest! I'm very excited that we've made it this far and look forward to releasing a lot of updates :)
  • klar
    klar
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I wanted to switch to Chrome so bad I kept searching for any kind of solution, because, frankly, the web is not really usable for me without 1Password support. So, this is great news. It worked for me when logging into this site and Google Mail. Thanks!
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    If I have to give it a classification its YIPPIE,

but its just funny the one site giving me problems is here. Oh well, Alpha material it is. Looking forward to future revisions
  • ski22
    ski22
    Community Member
    edited January 2010
    Just in case you don't know about this issue, I'm having an issue if the base webpage address has multiple possible available logins. If the webpage have two possible logins, it works fine, and it lets me select the login to use. But on a webpage that has 4 possible logins, the 1password available logins popup box constantly shakes, shrinks & expands when it trys to show the available logins to select. Which makes it almost impossible to click on the login I want to use.
  • ski22
    ski22
    Community Member
    edited January 2010
    I also notice after the above issue happens, I am having a problem with the extension taking most of the CPU cycles. This starts happening when I go to a new webpage after the above popup available login issue. And the only way to resolve the CPU issue is to restart Chrome. I can reproduce this issue everytime.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    ski22 wrote:
    I also notice after the above issue happens, I am having a problem with the extension taking most of the CPU cycles. This starts happening when I go to a new webpage after the above popup available login issue. And the only way to resolve the CPU issue is to restart Chrome. I can reproduce this issue everytime.

I didn't see this yet. What version do you currently have installed? Does it happen in 0.0.6?
  • ski22
    ski22
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    roustem wrote:
    I didn't see this yet. What version do you currently have installed? Does it happen in 0.0.6?

Yes, I'm running 0.0.6.
  • ski22
    ski22
    Community Member
    edited January 2010
    roustem wrote:

Here are the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Go to a webpage where 1password will present multiple available logins (mine had at least 4).
    2. Press the 1password button in Chrome.
    3. The 1password popup window showing available logins will constantly shake, shrink & expand, trying to show the multiple (4+) available logins to select.
    4. Now go to a completely different website, such as www.cnn.com OR just close the tab that had the website you were trying to login
    5. The CPU cycles will now go to almost 100%.
    6. The only way to stop the CPU cycle issue is to restart Chrome.

I can reproduce this issue every time.
  • ProcessBlue
    edited December 1969
    I have the same issue (running 0.0.6) but have also noticed that the issue seems to be that the 1Password login popups don't close themselves. They stay in the background and, e.g., closing all Chrome tabs leaves disembodied login popups doing their jiggly resize dance floating on the desktop.

Also, if these popups are not covered by any windows, they only take up about 10% of CPU, but if they are covered up this shoots up to 100%.
  • dballing
    dballing
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I have the same issue (running 0.0.6) but have also noticed that the issue seems to be that the 1Password login popups don't close themselves. They stay in the background and, e.g., closing all Chrome tabs leaves disembodied login popups doing their jiggly resize dance floating on the desktop.

Also, if these popups are not covered by any windows, they only take up about 10% of CPU, but if they are covered up this shoots up to 100%.

This is my experience as well.
  • dteare
    edited December 1969

I cannot reproduce this in Chromium (4.0.302.0 (36481)) nor in Chrome (4.0.295.0 dev). Can you verify you are using the latest version?
  • ski22
    ski22
    Community Member
    edited January 2010
    dteare wrote:
    I cannot reproduce this in Chromium (4.0.302.0 (36481)) nor in Chrome (4.0.295.0 dev). Can you verify you are using the latest version?

I am running Chrome 4.0.295.0 dev. Are you seeing the issue with the "dancing" 1password popup box for available logins ? Are you testing with a website that has at least 4 available logins to select from in the popup box ?
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    I have seen this. Right now, we are focusing more on functionality than anything else. Dan will be working on the design aspects and addressing some of these behavior things soon.
  • ski22
    ski22
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Jamie wrote:
    I have seen this. Right now, we are focusing more on functionality than anything else. Dan will be working on the design aspects and addressing some of these behavior things soon.

Thanks. So you have reproduced the CPU issue too ?
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Which CPU issue? I haven't really checked, but I would not be surprised if such graphic glitching was spiking the CPU as well.
  • ski22
    ski22
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I described the CPU issue earlier in this thread, and other people confirmed it.
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Ah, sorry for not catching that. I have not seen this but we will investigate this further.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    ski22 wrote:
    I am running Chrome 4.0.295.0 dev. Are you seeing the issue with the "dancing" 1password popup box for available logins ? Are you testing with a website that has at least 4 available logins to select from in the popup box ?

I've seen this issue once today. I guess it is happening at specific popup sizes. This looks like a bug in Chrome to me.
  • ProcessBlue
    edited December 1969
    dteare wrote:

Yes, I'm running 4.0.295.0 dev on OSX 10.6.2.
  • gtcaz
    gtcaz
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    On Chrome 4.0.295 and extension 0.6 on OS X 1.6.2, I'm having no luck. Nothing happens when I click the 1P icon. I restarted both 1Password and Chrome a few times. I see this in the logs:

1/19/10 5:08:03 PM	[0x0-0x767767].com.google.Chrome[28407]	objc[28443]: Class WKAppKitDrawDecoyWindow is implemented in both /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/4.0.295.0/Google Chrome Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/../../../Google Chrome Framework.framework/Google Chrome Framework and /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/WebKit. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    1/19/10 5:08:32 PM	Google Chrome Helper[28443]	Failed to load '/Users/gtc/Library/Application Support/1Password/Extensions/30471/Resources/English/Localizable.strings'
    1/19/10 5:08:32 PM	[0x0-0x767767].com.google.Chrome[28407]	2010-01-19 17:08:32.784 Google Chrome Helper[28443:107] Failed to load '/Users/gtc/Library/Application Support/1Password/Extensions/30471/Resources/English/Localizable.strings'
    1/19/10 5:08:33 PM	Google Chrome Helper[28443]	Failed to find 'UnlockKeychain.nib' in '/Users/myuser/Library/Application Support/1Password/Extensions/30471/Resources/English/UnlockKeychain.nib'
    1/19/10 5:08:33 PM	[0x0-0x767767].com.google.Chrome[28407]	2010-01-19 17:08:33.143 Google Chrome Helper[28443:107] Failed to find 'UnlockKeychain.nib' in '/Users/myuser/Library/Application Support/1Password/Extensions/30471/Resources/English/UnlockKeychain.nib'
    1/19/10 5:08:33 PM	Google Chrome Helper[28443]	Inconsistent resource: UnlockKeychain.nib
    	Path: /Applications/1Password.app
    	Expected version: 30471
    	Version found: 30475
    1/19/10 5:08:33 PM	[0x0-0x767767].com.google.Chrome[28407]	2010-01-19 17:08:33.156 Google Chrome Helper[28443:107] Inconsistent resource: UnlockKeychain.nib
    1/19/10 5:08:33 PM	Google Chrome Helper[28443]	To update the 1Password extension, please restart your web browser at your convenience.
    1/19/10 5:08:33 PM	[0x0-0x767767].com.google.Chrome[28407]	2010-01-19 17:08:33.159 Google Chrome Helper[28443:107] To update the 1Password extension, please restart your web browser at your convenience.

• MikeT
    edited December 1969
    Wow, i didn't know about this until I visited the forum and saw the new title. Why didn't you guys give it a tweet for those of us who are waiting for the chrome support and will alpha/beta test it for you? Can't really get all the bugs if only few people know about it.

Anyway, thanks for allowing us to have a sneak peek, it's working so far for me. I am sure the final release is going to be just as awesome as the firefox extension.

I have been opening 1PW just to fill in logins, and now thanks to this, Chromium has just become my default browser. Bye to Safari and Firefox.
  • jgallen23
    edited December 1969
    I am having the same issue as gtcaz.
This discussion has been closed.