Incorrect master password in 1Password 3.7.2 for iPhone

Hi there

I have serious problem with my copy of 1Password.

First of all, I have only one copy of 1Password for iPhone 3.7.2 without any syncs with "boxes" and desktop apps.
I bought this app in App Store in December and setup security database with my private data. So, was no problem before I updated iOS from 5 to 6.0.1 directly on device. And the problem that the program rejects this password right after iOS update with the next string "Wrong password" and counting attempts. Anyway I'm sure the password is correct and used many times. Thus, I have no access to very important data in my wallet.
What can I do to recover all my highly protected records? I tried to restore it from backup, tried to reinstall the app and restore from backup again - failed with the same message. No answer for this issue in FAQ too. Please, help.

iPhone 4S iOS 6.0.1, no JB.

Thanks,
Shtu.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2013
    Welcome to the forums, Shtu! Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

I just want to be clear. Can you confirm for me that the problem you are having is in the old version 3.7.2 of 1Password on your iPhone. Or are you having the problem in 1Password 4 after importing the data from the old version? Did you ever set up Dropbox syncing?

You mentioned that you restored from a backup. What sort of backup? Is it a .1ptbackup file on your computer created with the built-in backup feature in 1Password 3 or something else? Where is the backup located?

I'd love to help if you have provide some more details. Thanks!
  • Thank you Khad! Glad to see you!

Can you confirm for me that the problem you are having is in the old version 3.7.2 of 1Password on your iPhone.

Exactly, this is old (latest 3x) version 3.7.2 of "1Password for iPhone".

Did you ever set up Dropbox syncing?

No.

You mentioned that you restored from a backup. What sort of backup? Is is a .1ptbackup file on your computer created with the built-in backup feature in 1Password 3 or something else? Where is the backup located?

Exactly, it has been made by built-in "backup-restore" feature. This .ptbackup file and it stored on local iMac. The problem is that the backup i made AFTER iOS update and have no backups before system update 8( Sad.

Thank you!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks so much for clarifying. I know you wrote "master password", but now that you have confirmed you are referring to 1Password 3 for iOS I want to be sure that you are referring to the master password and not the 4-digit unlock code. Are you able to get into the app by entering your 4-digit unlock code (via the numeric keypad) or is that where you are stuck?
  • Hi!

Are you able to get into the app by entering your 4-digit unlock code (via the numeric keypad) or is that where you are stuck?

Yes, no problem with 4-digit unlock code. It works fine and no problems with that. And the main problem in records protected by master password.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Your master password does not have to be the same between 1Password for Mac/Windows and your 1Password 3 iOS app(s). Because they do not have to be the same, they are never synced from one device/platform to another.

Your master password is used to encrypt all your confidential information for each item that has the master password enabled; without this password the data in these items cannot be recovered. Your 1Password master password is known only by you, and we cannot reset it for you; if we could, that would be a security hole that criminals could use to steal your data.

If you cannot remember the password, you will need to reset your master password. Make sure you're using the latest version of 1Password on your iOS device and then navigate to More > Settings > Security and tap Reset Master Password.

Note that any entries that were previously protected by the master password will be permanently lost.

However, even if you reset the database there are a few ways to retrieve your data after the reset:

* If you've been using Dropbox to sync your data with 1Password for Mac or Windows, just set up Dropbox syncing again, and your data will start syncing to your iPhone automatically. Please see this guide for instructions:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_syncing_with_dropbox.html

* If you've previously sync'ed your 1Password data with 1Password for Mac using Wi-Fi, you can easily restore your data during the next Wi-Fi sync:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/sync_to_mac_manually.html

* If you've used the built-in "backup and restore" feature to save a backup copy of your 1Password data, you can use it again to restore that saved backup file. You can read more about our backup and restore option here:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html

I hope that helps. Please let me know.
  • Khad,
    Thanks for your help. I clearly understand that I can't restore in usual way protected records. And unfortunately seems to me I lost all of them. And I understand about security hole on password restore. Also I found out that some Apps in Appstore have serious updated for fixing similar problem. One of app for notes installed on my iPhone has this update when user experienced problems with access to encrypted notes after iOS update to 6x. And probably 1Password has the same problem with keychain/tokens/whatever...

All I see now is that 1Password for iPhone 3x is no longer supported and it's sad. And that all what have for paid price.
    Thanks.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    1Password 3 for iOS is still supported. I hope the support I have been providing to you since you first posted in this thread on January 10 counts as support.

There is no known bug like this that we are aware of. This is the only report of it we've seen. If there was a bug of the sort you describe, we'd almost certainly be seeing a lot more reports of it since there are millions of 1Password users.

You can use one of the three methods above to restore the data after resetting the master password. Unfortunately, if you have not been syncing or backing up your data as we always recommend, there is not anything else we can do if you cannot remember your master password.

I'm sorry there isn't a better answer, but that is why we always recommend syncing and backing up. There is no backdoor or safety net without them. :S
  • Khad, thanks for your answer, but anyway my problem is still unresolved and as I understand your comments above can't be. Pay attention, I said that I didn't forget the master password and I don't need to recover and reset the password. I need to recover few protected records in 1Password db. Unfortunately (for me) the problem occurred on my iPhone only and no other similar cases with the problem on this forum. When I said that 3x version is unsupported I mean that the version is not available in AppStore and no more fixes and updates will be available for it (?). Sorry for that and sure I know few guys who happy with 1Password apps, but not me.

Thanks for the attempt to help me with that. Seems this case is closed.
    By this result all I want is to know how I can get my money back?

Thank you.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2013
    I need to recover few protected records in 1Password db.

There is no way to access items which are encrypted with the master password without without correctly entering the master password. If the password you are entering is not providing access to the items, then it is not the correct master password.

I know you said you weren't syncing with 1Password for Mac or Windows, otherwise we would just start from scratch in 1Password 3 for iOS and sync the data from 1Password on your desktop computer. However, just in case it helps, I want to be sure to mention that your master password does not have to be the same between 1Password for Mac/Windows and 1Password 3 for iOS. Because they do not have to be the same, they are never synced from one device/platform to another. Again, I don't think this will help in your situation, but I've seen some users forget that they chose a different password for 1Password on their Mac than the one they chose for 1Password on their iOS device(s). This can often lead to confusion (and is why we changed this in 1Password 4 for iOS).

When I said that 3x version is unsupported I mean that the version is not available in AppStore and no more fixes and updates will be available for it (?).

1Password 3 is available on the App Store. (It just isn't for sale anymore). You can download it at any time from your Purchases list as described in the FAQ. There has not yet been an update to 1Password 3 since 1Password 4 was released, but that was only a little over a month ago. No new features will be added to 1Password 3, but critical bugs and security issues will be fixed in future updates as needed. 1Password 3 is still supported in every sense of the word.

By this result all I want is to know how I can get my money back?

Please email us so we can better assist you: support@ agilebits .com We'd be happy to assist you further.
  • weekente
    weekente
    Community Member

i have the same problem
    BUT
    as far as i see it, the masterpasswort question shows up, when I say: allow other network connections, that is, when I am in the wifi settings of the app
    iphone 4, 1password 3.7...
    But is there a masterpassword on my iphone?

• weekente
    weekente
    Community Member

looks like the masterpassword was ok, but where to enter the 2 auth codes on my mac?

• weekente
    weekente
    Community Member

think i got it :-)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad things are working well, @weekente, but please let me know if you have any other trouble.

This discussion has been closed.