Question Dropbox Sync with SymLink'd Folder

Raptor256
edited December 1969 in iOS
I am trying to use the new 1Password Pro on my iPhone with the Dropbox sync feature but it keeps telling me it can't find my 1Password file. I have an idea what maybe causing this and I want to get your feedback.

I am using Dropbox to sync my entire Documents folder, but I didn't want to substitute by Dropbox folder for my Documents folder. To get around this I placed a Symlink of my Documents folder into my Dropbox, which causes my entire Documents for to be synced and preserves the normal OS X folder convention. My 1Password keychain is in a folder in my Documents folder (/Documents/1Password/) and shows up in my dropbox online and on my iPhone in the Dropbox App.

On my Mac I have updated to the latest version of 1Password (3.3).

Is the Symlink'd Documents folder the reason this isn't working? Do I actually have to store my 1Password file in a folder in my Dropbox folder on my mac, and not through the symlink'd Documents folder? If 1Password Pro for my iphone would do a simple search of my dropbox it should be able to find it, since the dropbox service doesn't know my documents folder is symlink'd, it just shows up as though it actually lives in the Dropbox folder on my Mac.

Any ideas?

Comments

• roustem
    edited December 1969
    Are you getting a message in iPhone app that the data file cannot be found?

If so, please try to make sure that 1Password on Mac is configured to use the data file through a path in Dropbox, not directly through ~/Documents.
  • Raptor256
    edited December 1969
    Yes that is what I would kind of like to avoid, so I can keep everything in my Documents folder.

I am guessing that 1Password must be putting a hidden pointer file into my Dropbox to point the app at my 1Password keychain. Is that correct? If so is there any way to manually create one that I can place into my dropbox to point the app to my keychain? Or are there other issues at play here? Thanks.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    Raptor256 wrote:
    Yes that is what I would kind of like to avoid, so I can keep everything in my Documents folder.

I am guessing that 1Password must be putting a hidden pointer file into my Dropbox to point the app at my 1Password keychain. Is that correct? If so is there any way to manually create one that I can place into my dropbox to point the app to my keychain? Or are there other issues at play here? Thanks.

It could still be in the Documents folder. I just thought that having it configured as ~/Dropbox/Document/1Password.agilekeychain instead of ~/Documents/1Password.agilekeychain could help.

Please see if you have the ".ws.agile.1Password.settings" file in your Dropbox root folder.
  • Raptor256
    edited December 1969
    I did go into 1Password on my Mac and used the move command to do just that. Trying to make 1Password think it was in my Dropbox Folder by using the move command, but it isn't fooled. After trying to move it to ~/dropbox/documents/1password/1Password.agilekeychain the Data File preference goes right back to ~/documents/1password/1Password.agilekeychain. I even created another folder to move my keychain into, and used the same procedure by going through ~/dropbox, but again 1Password on my Mac was not fooled. It went right back to the proper ~/documents path.

I do not have that file in the root of my Dropbox. I'm guessing its because Dropbox on my Mac doesn't think its keychain is in a folder being sync'd by dropbox. Is there any way to create that hidden file manually? Is it a simple text file that can be edited with the location of my keychain in Dropbox?
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    Yes, you can edit it in a text editor. You will probably have to change the file permissions afterwards to prevent 1Password on Mac from rewriting it.
  • Raptor256
    edited December 1969
    Oh I see. 1Password on my Mac is going to try to overwrite that file on every startup if it doesn't think its correct?
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    Raptor256 wrote:
    Oh I see. 1Password on my Mac is going to try to overwrite that file on every startup if it doesn't think its correct?

Right.
  • Raptor256
    edited December 1969
    So basically I'm saving myself a bunch of hassle if I just stop trying to be clever and stick my keychain right into my Dropbox folder? :)
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    Raptor256 wrote:
    So basically I'm saving myself a bunch of hassle if I just stop trying to be clever and stick my keychain right into my Dropbox folder? :)

Well, the standard way is always the easiest :)
This discussion has been closed.