Symantec doesn't like 1Password update?

I was prompted by 1Password to update and when I attempted to do so, Norton Security Suite advised me that the following file was unsafe and the "threat" had been deleted:

Filename: 1password-1.0.9.333.exe
Threat name: WS.Reputation.1

Behavior
_WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories.

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques._

Can I assume this is just a false positive?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Can I assume this is just a false positive?

Yes. Please be sure to report it to the vendor. We'll investigate it on our end as well. Thank you for reporting this.

• bioxx
    bioxx
    Community Member

"the wisdom of crowds" otherwise known as "the competition" has been busy it seems, probably closely followed by WOT 8-|

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Unfortunately, it’s the same type of false report with the same "reason" that we've seen in the last few months. This type of "crowd scanner" does not work well when the majority of people do not know what they’re doing, and the app vendors keep sending in false reports, only to come back being flagged again. :/

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

This happens every time we release an update :(

• Funglin
    Funglin
    Community Member

I tried again today, and this time Norton Security Suite said that the downloaded .933 file is "safe." :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

The crowd must be getting wiser. ;)

This discussion has been closed.