1Password 4 for iOS sale ended

ibaraba
ibaraba
Community Member
edited August 2013 in iOS

Hi,

a few days ago my 1Password Pro app on my iPhone vanished. After checking on your blog I found out that my version of the app is called 1Password 3 and that there exists a version 1 Password 4 now. Here is what happened to me:

1. I downloaded 1Password 3 again
  2. The app appeared on my phone but when clicking it it gave me a black screen
  3. I considered buying the 1Password 4 version and after I saw your offer for 7.99 US dollars, http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/08/08/1password-3-dropbox-sync-faq/, (To make this transition as easy as possible, we’re putting 1Password 4 for iOS on sale for over 55 percent off. It’s a single, universal app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch that regularly sells for $17.99 USD, but we’ll put it on sale for just $7.99.) I decided to go ahead and buy it.
  4. Instead of getting credited for 7.99 I got charged for 17.99 US dollars!
  5. I am annoyed that I invested so much time for first finding out why my 1Password app vanished, then trying to get it working again, then buying the new app and finally realising that you did not deliver on your promise to charge 7.99 US dollars instead of 17.99 US dollars.

Don't get me wrong, the app is great but I would have preferred to keep on using the 1Password 3 version, if it were possible to get it work again.
Anything that can be done here? What did I do wrong, the link from your blog post http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/08/08/1password-3-dropbox-sync-faq/ directed me to the app in iTunes, why was I charged 17.99?

Kind regards,
Ivica

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2013

I'm sorry for any confusion, @ibaraba. I can't assist you with financial matters on this public forum, but if you email us we'll see what we can do to help: support@ agilebits .com

As for downloading the copy of 1Password 3 that you previously purchased, you can download a previously purchased copy of 1Password 3 for iOS from your Purchases list in the App Store at any time. If you wish to do so, you can simply follow the steps in the FAQ:

I can’t find 1Password 3 for my older iOS devices, how do I download it?

We can better assist you via email, but please let me know if there is anything else I can help with here.

Thanks!

• johnny_b12
    johnny_b12
    Community Member

I had resisted my son's and wife's advice for a year now, only to realize I was duped. Limited time sale for an upgrade to keep my status quo? Price of electron futures just spiked? I should have jumped to Last Pass as they had advised. Live and learn.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @johnny_b12,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. Unfortunately all sales must end, even for 1Password 4 for iOS. That said, we completely understand why you didn't want to miss this one.

We'd like to help you by reimbursing you $10 USD so you effectively get the sale price. In order to get the ball rolling on that, you'll need to do a few things.

• Purchase 1Password 4 for iOS.
    • Email us your receipt from Apple showing the purchase.
    • Also let us know your Paypal ID (usually the email address used).

Once we have that info, we'll process the reimbursement as soon as possible via PayPal.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• pjfoley203
    pjfoley203
    Community Member

Why would you possibly end the sale before the transition date? After using the program for years, we were given no heads up on the desktop version and only when you opened the iphone version do get the message. FYI, the "learn more" still takes you to a webpage that describes the sale. Shouldn't this be a free update as it one of the main features of the program was the Dropbox syncing? Why there is not an upgrade available for version 3 users? Feels very much like extortion... you announce during summer vacation weeks that the main feature of your software wont work in a few weeks, and the only true solution is to pay for the newest iOS version - after we have already bought the desktop version OSX, windows version and iPhone version. Very questionable customer service : (

• dustinmr
    dustinmr
    Community Member

I'm not going to bash you too hard on charging for an update as I understand that software has to be maintained and sometimes it costs something to do that. And the App Store makes it a bit difficult for you to do that. I get it.

But I will say that your press release seems to imply that we had until September 1 to deal with this. You say above that the sale ended on the date you announced. But the only date I see on the posting is 1 September: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/08/08/1password-3-dropbox-sync-faq/

At $8 its worth it to me to have this taken care of and done with minimal fuss. But at $18 for each of the 5 users I put on 1Password, and announced in a way that seems a bit tricky on your part, I'll wait and see if Mavericks and iOS7 deal with my password syncing.

• paull
    paull
    Community Member

I opened the app on my phone Sunday night and got a message saying that Dropbox sync was being discontinued by Sept 1 and recommending upgrading, at a sale price. No mention of and end date for the sale, so I assumed it was the transition date. On Monday I went to upgrade and found the sale had ended - less than 24 hours after receiving the only notification I got. $10 isn't a lot, but I'm annoyed enough to post this!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Shouldn't this be a free update as it one of the main features of the program was the Dropbox syncing?

1Password 4 for iOS was released over half a year ago and wholly separate from this change that Dropbox is introducing. It was expected that existing Dropbox sync users would be grandfathered in as they were previously:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/03/09/dropbox-update-and-1password/

Two weeks ago that was revoked. Making the fix before the change actually happens is not feasible, and the complications of having an old and unsupported version released temporarily on the App Store are very large.

Why there is not an upgrade available for version 3 users?

There is not a way to do that. Apple does not allow upgrade pricing on the App Store. The closest thing to that is a sale price which is exactly what we did. If you missed the sale, just email us your receipt and we'll make it right for you like I mentioned in my post directly above yours.

At $8 its worth it to me to have this taken care of and done with minimal fuss.

Thanks for your support! Please do email us your App Store receipt so we can make sure you get that $8 price.

• dmm
    dmm
    Community Member

I love 1Password 3 but I agree with many of the other responders. We all had until September 1 to make the conversion; we are directed to the website that says it's on sale for $7.99 and no expiration date on that site. One would think that AgileBits would have at least kept V4 on sale until September 1 like many had presumed it to be.

Fortunately I had purchase V4 a few months ago and loaded it on my iPad. I left V3 on my iPad as well because I loved V3 sooooo much better V4. I rarely used V4 and now I am forced to use V4. I hate that every time I exit the app for just a minute, I have to put my master password in again instead of just the 4 digit pin as in V3. I have a rather long master password and that is a real hassle. I wish you would implement the option to re-enter with a 4 digit pin if only out of the app for a short time.

• frudoc
    frudoc
    Community Member
    edited August 2013

I have an email into support and hope to figure out a way to get the $7.99 price.

I don't understand why the sale would end before the deadline. To say that "all sales must end" is just silly—it's about when it ended. Think of the time and energy wasted by ending the sale when you did, not too mention the amount of bad blood generated. I really like the product, but in addition to this frustration, I have to now tell a good number of friends and family which jumped on board thanks to me that they now need to drop another $18. I won't be recommending 1Password to anyone again for awhile, even if I can hang on myself for now. I'll wait and see how the next API change or other tweak is handled.

Again, I love the app. I just think that this whole thing could have been handled much better.

• fseesink
    fseesink
    Community Member

I'm sorry for any confusion, @ibaraba. That blog post is from over a week ago. The sale ran for over a week (and even a few days past the end date that we announced for it).

Wow, a WHOLE week! Seriously, does no one at AgileBits even consider just how bad this looks? I realize it's not AgileBits fault that DropBox yanked the API. And sure, expecting you to react in 2 weeks' time isn't realistic. But considering all the flack you've been taking for the various changes with v4 regarding syncing, and now this? Would it really have killed you all to run the sale until 1 Sep 2013? People who might not otherwise have upgraded may have considered it.

I only fire up 1Password on my iPad Mini once in awhile, and to be perfectly blunt, after reading reviews of the v4 release, I was in no hurry to move to it at the time. But when a few days ago I had to check on something, launched 1Password and got that message, I thought, "Crap, I'm in a hurry now and can't do this today. But for $7.99, ok." Then I went tonight to do just that, and I find the price is $17.99. I go online just to verify, and sure enough, I read this forum thread. So you only get notified of the change 2 weeks ago. And your response is to put up a notice for anyone launching your app which, in the end, is only good for 1 week. Genius.

While you can obviously do what you like business-wise (hey, it's your business), your missteps lately and poor responses like the ones in this thread indicate a shift in attitude towards your customers which I find disturbing. ibaraba posts a genuinely polite message, and your response is to question their ability to read? Seriously? THAT is your idea of good customer relations? And only when someone talks about going to LastPass do you consider reimbursing them $10? Nice to see how you treat decent customers vs. those simply pointing out you're not the only game in town.

• Christian Ritter
    Christian Ritter
    Community Member

I also got the message about the Dropbox API just yesterday. So my Dropbox-Sync will not work after 1st September and the only way to use 1Password is to buy V4, which price doubled just before I got the message about this issue (What a coincidence!?). Is this the way you handle loyal customers? I am ready to support software development for a fair price, but I will not pay €15,99 for a software I already bought. If you are not able to give me a fair price I will search for a alternative.

• janwillem
    janwillem
    Community Member

This is indeed somewhat unbelievable... I've had the same experience - using 1Password on my iPhone today and reading about the no longer supported syncing via dropbox. This is already questionable. But finding out there was a sale, and that it happens to be just closed is really disappointing. Since I love the product, I will buy the newer version, but I expect agilebits to refund the difference, just like khad mentioned above: "If you missed the sale, just email us your receipt and we'll make it right for you like I mentioned in my post directly above yours."

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

every time I exit the app for just a minute, I have to put my master password in again instead of just the 4 digit pin as in V3.

@dmm, one of our goals with 1Password 4 was to make strong security the default. The old PIN code had the downside of being used to encrypt some items and with only 10,000 possibilities, this just wasn't good enough for us to continue with. We did away with that approach in the first iPad version as well. The PIN code was originally conceived as a convenience feature for frequently accessed items in the time before iPhone OS supported fast app switching and background tasks. It was a compromise we were never happy with, but it provided the best balance of security and user experience at the time. We do still have the unlock code available in settings, but it is only used to control access to the 1Password application, never for encryption of any of your data. This means that you need to authenticate with your master password at least once per session in order to be able to use the QUC.

From the User Guide:

You can configure 1Password to never prompt the password/code, but this only works after you:

1. Initially unlock 1Password app already,
    2. Set both Request After and Request Code After to Never, and
    3. Also keep re-opening 1Password once in a while.

Why the last one? When you stop using 1Password, the iOS app will keep track of how long it’s been in the background in order to ensure there’s enough memory for your current and most recently used apps. 1Password can remain unlocked in memory only until iOS is forced to fully close the app in the background to reclaim its memory block, so that your current apps can use it.

If the termination has occurred, you’ll have to enter the master password to unlock it.

Note that the more memory you have in your iOS devices, the longer 1Password can remain unlocked. Keep this in mind when switching to older iOS devices that might see 1Password locked more often.

I hope that clarifies the situation and our decision a bit. If you have other thoughts or ideas, please email us: support@ agilebits .com

We are always here to help! :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Again, I love the app. I just think that this whole thing could have been handled much better.

Thank you for your kind words, @frudoc. There is always room for improvement. I will mention this to the team here. I'm not in charge of the sale start or end dates, but I am passing this along to those who are. We appreciate your feedback on this.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2013

I also got the message about the Dropbox API just yesterday. So my Dropbox-Sync will not work after 1st September and the only way to use 1Password is to buy V4, which price doubled just before I got the message about this issue (What a coincidence!?). Is this the way you handle loyal customers? I am ready to support software development for a fair price, but I will not pay €15,99 for a software I already bought. If you are not able to give me a fair price I will search for a alternative.

This is indeed somewhat unbelievable... I've had the same experience - using 1Password on my iPhone today and reading about the no longer supported syncing via dropbox. This is already questionable. But finding out there was a sale, and that it happens to be just closed is really disappointing. Since I love the product, I will buy the newer version, but I expect agilebits to refund the difference, just like khad mentioned above: "If you missed the sale, just email us your receipt and we'll make it right for you like I mentioned in my post directly above yours."

Christian and @janwillem, I hope you didn't miss my post above. We'd like to help you (and everyone else) by reimbursing you $10 USD so you effectively get the sale price. In order to get the ball rolling on that, you'll need to do a few things.

• Purchase 1Password 4 for iOS.
    • Email us your receipt from Apple showing the purchase.
    • Also let us know your Paypal ID (usually the email address used).

Once we have that info, we'll process the reimbursement as soon as possible via PayPal.

• fseesink
    fseesink
    Community Member

Christian and @janwillem, I hope you didn't miss my post above. We'd like to help you (and everyone else) by reimbursing you $10 USD so you effectively get the sale price. In order to get the ball rolling on that, you'll need to do a few things.

Purchase 1Password 4 for iOS.
    Email us your receipt from Apple showing the purchase.
    Also let us know your Paypal ID (usually the email address used).

khad,

That's a nice gesture. But just to be clear, my reason for posting was about business practices and perception. Only those who come here to the forum and complain will know about this. Please let your marketing/sales people know that it's about more than "oh I want me some money back." It's about using just a little thinking when putting a sale like this together. The gesture offered when I first read it made me think, "Wow. That's nice of them." Then when I went to buy at that price and found it was full fare, it was more along the lines of feeling like I'd been hit with a bait & switch. Whatever goodwill was initially engendered was completely pissed away and then some. That's just... well, bad business.

And sorry to toss this out, but what about those of us who don't use PayPal? I appreciate the offer and would like to partake, but I don't use PayPal.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

We are certainly sorry for any trouble this has caused anyone and want to make it up to you. We are only human and must live and learn like everyone else. We will keep this in mind next time we have a sale. This is a very unusual circumstance, and we were not really prepared to handle it. It's not often that a discontinued version of an app has the API that it uses to sync deprecated. We obviously never hope that it happens again in the future, but will apply the lessons were learn from this if it does. We'll also certainly apply these lessons in other areas as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us about this.

If you don't have a PayPal account, we've even cut good old fashioned paper checks and mailed them to several folks. Please email us so we can better assist you. We are genuinely looking forward to helping.

• eanghil
    eanghil
    Community Member

I think it is really commercially poor and unfair to ask money for a service that was already bought
    I had already bought an app that could sync through Dropbox and it is unrespectful to ask to pay the app again to maintain the same features. I would be disappointed if I had to be forced to an upgrade to have the same service, but at least the cost would be acceptable. To buy the entire app in my opinion show little respect for your "amazing customers"
    I read you had a discount period when the app was less expensive, but again I think it is unacceptable that this period has expired BEFORE the transition time is still on. You warn me that soon sync won't be working anymore and as soon I've been noticed I discover that discount has already expired?
    Come on is this respectful for your "amazing customers"?
    If I have to buy a completely new app I think I would look around what the market can offer after such treatment and lack of respect for whom has chosen you before
    I loved the application and I've been using it for years. I also suggested it to friends, but I'd never imagine that you would force me to buy it twice to have the same features I've already paid for.
    I am really disappointed

• eanghil
    eanghil
    Community Member

I read about reimbursement of the difference and I'll take it in consideration
    At least you understood that faithful customer should not pay for your inability to produce an upgrade since you cancelled old apps from iTunes Store

• oregondean
    oregondean
    Community Member

Count me in to for the email offset as well. Just purchased and will send in the receipt.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I read about reimbursement of the difference and I'll take it in consideration…

Count me in to for the email offset as well. Just purchased and will send in the receipt.

Thanks, @oregondean and @eanghil. We'll make sure you're taken care of. We genuinely appreciate your continued support.

This discussion has been closed.