IPasswordiOS 4 Pro & Cons (w/suggestions)

romad
romad
Community Member
edited August 2013 in iOS

I just bought this and after migrating my data over from ver. 3.7.2, I made a short list of Pros & Cons

Pro: At last, one universal app! Don't know why it took you so long.

Cons:

1. I can no longer Sync with 1Pwd on my iMac! I don't use iCloud or Dropbox due to security concerns. I see that 1Pwd is now listed in iTunes File Sharing pane; I can't find what file I need to move between the iOS device and my iMac. Please tell me which one it is.
  2. The display layout is poor, particularly on an iPad. The layout in 1Pwd3 was more usable. Add option to use the older style layout if preferred.
  3. I just discovered that 1PwdiOS screwed up my log-in to 1PwdMac - somehow it has deleted my password. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE! How do I restore my password to 1PwdMac? Do I have to delete 1Pwd on my iMac and then re-install it?

As you can see, the Cons outweigh the Pro, therefore I will be removing 1PwdiOS4 from my iOS devices. While enabling the universal app switches in iOS, you forgot the important adage: Don't "fix" what ISN'T broken!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, folks!

Pro: At last, one universal app! Don't know why it took you so long.

The old "1Password Pro" was a universal version of 1Password 3 for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. But we are pleased to continue this tradition. We think it makes it much easier for folks when deciding which app to purchase. Before there were three apps: one for iPhone/iPod touch, one for iPad, and "Pro" which was the universal app. Now there is no more confusion. :)

I can no longer Sync with 1Pwd on my iMac! I don't use iCloud or Dropbox due to security concerns. I see that 1Pwd is now listed in iTunes File Sharing pane; I can't find what file I need to move between the iOS device and my iMac. Please tell me which one it is.

Wi-Fi syncing never made it into version 4 since it was very brittle. You can review the Wi-Fi Sync Troubleshooting Guide yourself to see just how many things could go wrong.

And this list didn't cover everything as we still have customers with unusual network configurations and have never been able to sync via the old Wi-Fi method. It's very frustrating to the users and for us.

There are some valid use cases at the moment where direct sync is needed, though. For example, a really nice fellow from China emailed us explaining that the Great Firewall prevents all Dropbox access and he's been using Wi-Fi syncing as a workaround until iCloud syncing is available for Mac. We told him to keep using version 3 for now until iCloud support is available for Mac.

Then there's the user experience itself: even when Wi-Fi worked it was cumbersome. You had to start 1Password on each device and trigger the sync. If you added new accounts and forgot to sync (or remembered to sync one device but not the other), you'd be without your data.

For 4 years, all we heard about Wi-Fi sync was that it is a huge source of problems and disappointment for our customers. We rewrote 1Password from the ground up for version 4. There is no code shared with version 3. Re-implementing Wi-Fi sync again was never on the list.

The iTunes File Sharing is more secure than Wi-Fi sync and does not have any of its connectivity issues. It is less convenient though. So we looked at ways to make things easier and have now rolled out USB syncing in beta form.

If you cannot use Dropbox, you will be able to use iCloud in the new year when it's available on Mac. If you are unable to use iCloud and Dropbox and the iTunes File Sharing doesn't suit your needs, USB syncing is a great option.

We're always evaluating new sync options, and we are very pleased to continue to offer a solution via USB where you can sync without relying on a central server but without all the heartache that Wi-Fi caused.

All that said, Dropbox syncing is extremely secure.

From the moment we designed the Agile Keychain data format we ensured that it was able to withstand an attack should your data fall into the wrong hands, either as a result of a Dropbox breach or if someone physically stole your computer. As such, we use AES encryption with PBKDF2 key strengthening to protect your sensitive 1Password data as well as many other mechanisms to stop an attacker from ever accessing your information and we detail this here:

Security of storing 1Password data in the cloud

So, as long as you use a secure master password that you don't use elsewhere, your 1Password data is incredibly safe even when stored on a service like Dropbox. If you're not sure about the strength of your master password, please do take a look at our recent blog post on this:

Toward Better Master Passwords

I can't think of many better ways to show just how strongly 1Password protects your data than by pitting it against the pre-eminent password cracking tool John the Ripper. We did exactly that:

1Password is Ready for John the Ripper

But the choice is yours to make. You can sync via USB if you are cloud averse. :)

1Password USB Syncing

The display layout is poor, particularly on an iPad. The layout in 1Pwd3 was more usable. Add option to use the older style layout if preferred.

I will pass your vote along to the developers. Just so I'm clear, are you referring to portrait or landscape orientation?

I just discovered that 1PwdiOS screwed up my log-in to 1PwdMac - somehow it has deleted my password. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE! How do I restore my password to 1PwdMac? Do I have to delete 1Pwd on my iMac and then re-install it?

I'm not sure what you mean, @romad. Could you please email us a Diagnostics Report so we can better assist you? 1Password for Mac makes daily backups of all your data. Nothing should be lost at all, and we can help you figure out what happened once we see the report.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

No, because I've run into another problem: my agilekeychain has disappeared from my hard drive. I was able to locate an old one in a time machine backup and can open it but when I try to move it to my boot hard drive, I'm told either I don't have permission to do it (I'm the administrator) or that the file is corrupt. Where on my boot hard drive should the agilekeychain be located?

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

OK, report has been sent.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

khad, a question about this "USB syncing". AFAIK, Apple only allows "USB syncing" via iTunes File Sharing, so how are you getting around this prohibition? Will we have to JB our iDevices to use USB syncing?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2013

Will we have to JB our iDevices to use USB syncing?

No. It is a separate app. You can find out more in the USB Syncing FAQ I linked to above.

OK, report has been sent.

Thank you! We'll work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion.

This discussion has been closed.