1Password 4 for iOS on sale through Friday, September 6, 2013

Options
stephen scheaffer
stephen scheaffer
Community Member
edited September 2013 in iOS

I am a very long time user and fan of 1Password. I am extremely disappointed as to how AngileBits chose to handled the release and subsequent notification of ending support for Dropbox on 1Password iOS ver 3. and the ending of the "Sale". I believe it was disingenuous and a very sloppy bit of spin. To get a popup notification at the last moment and a "by the way" the sale is ending did not win friends. You were a small wonderful company, Changes over the last many months are obvious. That you are growing and want to make money is a great thing. I applaud new releases and love to spend my money to help developers continue their good work, however slipshod and devious tactics are not appreciated. Just after the release of the new iOS version my boss (who was out of town) purchased the new version without consulting me. I wound-up having to set it up for him. At first I was excited that there was a new version. Unfortunately I was disappointed in it's performance and suggested he stick with the old version for the present. I scoured your website and the forums to see what direction 3 was taking. Your answers to others was "Sure if you like 3 keep on using it." No issues. Then, here you are telling us (at the very last moment) if you still would like to sync all your devices you need to purchase 4 and oh, the sale is over. I would have done that in the beginning if I felt it was a good release which I did not. I would love to have a great new iOS 1Password version. Please don't respond with the "you can sync over wi-fi stuff. Also the we can't support 3 because of the App Store stuff is a little thin. If you really wanted to you could have found a way. I guess a lot of my bitterness is due to my former high regards for AngileBits. You are still better than the competition but they are moving up. There are features that they have that you lack however the reverse is also true. I have been doing this mac stuff for a very long time professionally. I am more than willing to stick by companies thru bad times as well as good however the way you have handled the latest stuff does not sit well.

Respectfully,
Stephen Scheaffer

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

We completely understand why you did not want to miss our recent sale on 1Password 4 for iOS. We realize many of our 1Password 3 customers did not learn of the sale until it was already over, and even for those who did, there just wasn't enough time. For that, we are deeply sorry.

We want to do the right thing, so we put the app back on sale for $7.99 USD to make sure everyone gets a great deal moving to 1Password 4 for iOS.

If you already purchased at full price at any time after August 8, 2013, we'd like to help you by reimbursing you $10 USD so you effectively get the sale price. In order to get the ball rolling on that, you'll need to do a few things.

• Email us your receipt from Apple showing the purchase date.
    • Also let us know your Paypal ID (usually the email address used).

Once we have that info, we'll process the reimbursement as soon as possible via PayPal.

Thanks again for all your feedback on this! If there is anything else we can help with, please don't hesitate to let us know. :)

• azazure
    azazure
    Community Member
    Options

OK, so I decided that I have to upgrade to iOS version 4 on my iPad and iPhone to sync with Dropbox and 1Password for my Windows PC. However, my iPad will not let me buy the app because I can't upgrade my iPad beyond 5.1.1 (I believe it's an iPad 2 and doesn't support iOS 6). Is there anything I can do besides buy a new iPad? Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @azazure,

We’re very sorry that Dropbox is retiring its original sync service and how it is affecting you. If it can help, I’d like to explain a little about why it’s doing this.

The service that Dropbox is retiring is now over six years old. Like Apple, Dropbox is quickly innovating its products. Sometimes, that means a company needs to retire legacy services in order to continue providing the best products possible.

Unfortunately, because you are unable to use 1Password 4 for iOS due to your device not being compatible with iOS 6, and you do not have a Mac to use Wi-Fi Sync with, we don’t have a solution for you to continue to sync your 1Password data on your iPad. For this, we are terribly sorry.

I do hope that your iPhone is iOS 6 capable so you can take advantage of 1Password 4 for iOS there.

If you have any further questions, we're here for you!

Megan O'Brien, Support Sorceress

This discussion has been closed.