Migration from MacBook Pro to Dropbox plus upgrade iOS v3 to v4

Options
iflyalot
iflyalot
Community Member
edited September 2013 in iOS
  1. I finally decided to migrate away from WIFI syncing to using Dropbox. My dropbox account successfully received the 1Password.agilekeychain file. Later I decided to create a 1Password folder within Dropbox and then moved my 1Password.agilekeychain file into that new folder. I opened up my Dropbox account web page. The first problem I noticed was that none of my file icons were viewable from within the web page, but were still active from the Mac's (Dropbox) finder window. The Dropbox files were readable from the Mac side but were not viewable from my account's web page. 1Password Mac application (v3.8.21) functioned normally once I pointed it to the data file's new location. (I unfortunately am still using 1Password v3.8.21 due to having to use an old needed database software which is not Lion/Mountain Lion compatible.

2. So I continued my migration sync. to my iPhone app. Following the instructions on the iPhone app v4.2.5 I selected the Dropbox sync feature. The file was not found in accessing my Dropbox account - error message. I wondered if it was because i had moved the keychain file into its own Dropbox folder. So still having my iOS v3 app on the phone, I went back to v4.2.5 app and asked to copy/import from the v3 data file. This went smoothly. Once the new data was installed, I set up the Dropbox sync feature in the new phone version of 1Password. What this did was to install a separate much smaller 2.5MB file onto my Dropbox account. For some reason, after giving the iOS app permission to scan all of my Dropbox files, 1Password phone app did not see my original 25.8MB file that the Mac app sent to Dropbox. So now I have 2 keychain files in Dropbox (the smaller one sent over by the phone app (copied from my v3 iPhone app as well as the larger keychain app from the Mac.

3. I tried to see if the phone app would talk to the Mac app and typed a test note within my new version phone app. Unfortunately, the sync did not occur because i believe that the test note updated to the smaller file while the Mac is still talking to the larger file within the folder.

4. Next try was to dump the phone app/with its data and reinstalled it on the phone. Then i deleted the smaller keychain file from Dropbox. Next I moved the larger keychain file (Mac app generated) out of the folder I had created and put it back into the home row of Dropbox. I deleted the smaller file.

5. Still my Dropbox web page is intermittent in displaying any of my files. I sign out then back into Dropbox. The file icons may or may not appear.

OKAY here is my questions:

Shall I just go back to WIFI sync until I get begin using Mountain Lion? Is there a copy of my Mac keychain file still on my Mac or has that been moved to Dropbox? I cannot locate the file in my home folder APPLICATION SUPPORT/1PASSWORD.

May I use WIFI sync (to my phone v3 app) with the Mac keychain file still in Dropbox?

Sorry for the drawn out post.

Comments

• iflyalot
    iflyalot
    Community Member
    Options

Also now noticed that there is a file > .ws.agile.1Password.settings now viewable in my Dropbox account web home page but is not visible in my Mac's Dropbox home folder

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. I'm sure we can resolve it extremely quickly with just a glance at the report. Thanks in advance!

• iflyalot
    iflyalot
    Community Member
    Options

Is is a recommended technique to create a 1Password folder to store the 1Password.agilekeychain file? In my Dropbox webpage, the 1Password.agilekeychain file appears itself as a folder icon containing 4 more folders.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2013
    Options

We don't recommend creating any files or folders related to 1Password manually. 1Password.agilekeychain is a file bundle. It appears as a file on OS X, but the Dropbox website doesn't understand file bundles so it shows it as a folder. Please do not ever modify the contents of 1Password.agilekeychain. There's generally never a reason to look inside 1Password.agilekeychain unless you are given specific instructions by an AgileBits employee.

Did you email us a Diagnostics Report as requested?

• iflyalot
    iflyalot
    Community Member
    Options

Yes Diagnostics Report was emailed 10Sep2013. Also now noticed that there is a file > .ws.agile.1Password.settings now viewable in my Dropbox account web home page but is not visible in my Mac's Dropbox home folder. Is this a file generated by my Mac and is this file required for Mac operation or used for synchronization?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The .ws.agile.1Password.settings file is created by 1Password and is required for syncing. Like all files that begin with a period it is hidden in UNIX-based operating systems (such as OS X). Dropbox does not adhere to this convention so it shows the file. Please do not modify or delete it.

I'm not seeing an email from you in our inbox. Did you receive a reply back yet via email? Did you send your Diagnostics Report to us from a different email address than the one you used to sign up for this forum? That's all I had to go on, so it's possible that you sent it form another address and that's why I couldn't find it when I searched for that address. :)

• iflyalot
    iflyalot
    Community Member
    Options

I have received an email reply from Chris Meek (my Diagnostics Report was forwarded from Ben Woodruff. I cannot see which email address my forum membership is associated with. Is it a @mac.com or @gmail.com or @earthlink.net?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2013
    Options

Your forum address is @mac.com and if it is not up to date, you can change it here: http://discussions.agilebits.com/profile/edit

Thanks for letting me know that Chris and Ben have been helping you. We'll continue to work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion in the forum here. :)

• iflyalot
    iflyalot
    Community Member
    Options

Roger that, Khad. Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.