OMFGBBQWTF new forums

hexley
hexley
Community Member
Holy crap, these forms are 3x as fast as the older ones, my account data seems to have been migrated over pretty well. I don't think all my forum posts are attached to my account, as it only shows three, but I really don't care. I was able to post and not have the forums eat my typed data, so I no longer have to remember to copy my post before posting it.

I really like the new forums, good work!

The only thing so far I would like a little better is to have control over the font size of the post that I am typing, it is a but small. I don't want to make it larger so that the actual post type is larger, just larger for my own personal entry point of view.

It's so nice not having that one button that I was always clicking on when replying to a post that would somehow nuke everything I typed.

// hugs, smiles, yay!

Comments

• hexley
    hexley
    Community Member
    stu wrote:

Hi Hexley,

Glad you're enjoying the new forums, Roustem did a pretty decent job of bringing over as much as he could and I think this really helped us start using IP boards over the old vBulletin system. You're right, the speed increase is fantastic.

I'll have to have a look through the settings, but I've found that using the Command-Shif-+ and Command & - combo works to magnify the text enough to read when composing a reply, of course I use a combination of QuickCursor and TextMate to actually write my forum replies, as I have access to a lot of saved snippets with common links through TextMate.

Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated.

Is that jumping from a textarea into TextMate and back into the textarea pretty seamless? I tried to give it a go with Apple Mail, but never could get it to reliably make the transition back to Apple Mail. Do you have a link to any docs on how you set this up? I would so much prefer to compose in TextMate.

Looking at QuickCursor now, thanks for mentioning that.
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    stu wrote:

…, but I've found that using the Command-Shif-+ and Command & - combo works to magnify the text enough to read when composing a reply, …

And I discovered Command- is a workaround to get Add Reply, Preview Post, and Cancel to show up without scrolling. I can still read everything (barely) after using it twice on a page.

Now, where's the unquoted reply function? :)
  • hexley
    hexley
    Community Member
    stu wrote:

I'll have to have a look through the settings, but I've found that using the Command-Shif-+ and Command & - combo works to magnify the text enough to read when composing a reply...

I made a custom style sheet which I have applied in Safari. I am using a monospaced font which many may not like, so you can simply strike that line and it will default to the fonts of the styles defined in the forums.

I am used to monospaced fonts, and like things to line up when typing, even if they won't look that way to the recipient :)

Make a new text file called local.css or whatever you want to call it. Save it somewhere logical, I have put mine in ~/Library/Safari for the time being. Put the below text into it and reload the page in the forums with a reply screen open...

#ed-0_textarea {
        font-size: 1em;
        font-family: "Andale Mono", "Lucida Console", Monaco, Courier, "Courier New", monospace;
    }

This should not interfere with other sites, as the name 'ed-0_textarea' is rather unique. This is the first time I have ever done this. Does anyone know in CSS how you can target a class or id to a specific domain/website?
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    hexley wrote:

This should not interfere with other sites

It may disable text box resizing but it's not convenient for me to thoroughly test that now. I happened to notice the box resizer missing in a rely after temporarily using your style sheet (with SafariStand Site Alteration). Surprising, it was also missing in rely boxes on other sites even though forum.agile.ws was the only Site Alteration site. It generally reappeared after disabling the css, but I also relaunched Safari. So, I'm not quick to blame this on the css; maybe some interaction through SafariStand.
  • hexley
    hexley
    Community Member
    sjk wrote:

It may disable text box resizing but it's not convenient for me to thoroughly test that now. I happened to notice the box resizer missing in a rely after temporarily using your style sheet (with SafariStand Site Alteration). Surprising, it was also missing in rely boxes on other sites even though forum.agile.ws was the only Site Alteration site. It generally reappeared after disabling the css, but I also relaunched Safari. So, I'm not quick to blame this on the css; maybe some interaction through SafariStand.

Strange indeed. From what I remember, textarea resizing is a native browser feature. Safari was early in adopting it, and others followed suit; though it looks as though FireFox is still lacking in native support. Javascript can do really cool stuff, like this http://www.itsavesyou.com/TextArea_Resizer_example.htm which I just stumbled on looking for an answer to whether this is native or not. I really like the resize vertically via a middle placed handle. That method has a much nicer and easier to hit target then the small little wedge in the bottom right corner.

SafariStand looks cool, I was just looking it over after you mentioned it. I think I can find most of that functionality in extensions now, plugins for Safari always scare me a bit for reliability. 1Password is the only mod I must run no matter what.
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    hexley wrote:

Strange indeed.

For now I'm not going to try isolating the cause.

Javascript can do really cool stuff, like this http://www.itsavesyou.com/TextArea_Resizer_example.htm which I just stumbled on looking for an answer to whether this is native or not. I really like the resize vertically via a middle placed handle. That method has a much nicer and easier to hit target then the small little wedge in the bottom right corner.

What mostly makes that vertical resizer an easier target for me is changing the cursor to a down arrow when hovering over it. The wedge resizer has the advantage of also allowing horizontal resizing, but can often be an elusive target (just like the one for window resizing).

SafariStand looks cool, I was just looking it over after you mentioned it. I think I can find most of that functionality in extensions now, plugins for Safari always scare me a bit for reliability.

I've mostly relied on SS for session management, but recently migrated that to the Sessions extension (whose shortcut we've discussed). Still relying on it for Web Clip, Quick Search (bur preferred Keystone), and auto-closing the Downloads window. Have been trying KeySearch to partly replace Quick Search, but the separate toolbar and modal popup are both awkward compared to typing keyboards in the Location field. And none of the extensions for adding context menu searching won me over yet. Dunno enough about what can/can't be done (and is allowed) with extensions to know if they could provide Web Clip and auto-close Downloads functionality.

1Password is the only mod I must run no matter what.

And maybe what we should be discussing, although we're in a Lounge topic, so… :)
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

And maybe what we should be discussing, although we're in a Lounge topic, so… :)

Exactly carry on :D
  • 1Jeff
    1Jeff
    Community Member
    thightower wrote:

Exactly carry on :D

Why do I get the feeling there may be thread hijacking imminent? ;) Oh, crap, I said it aloud. Hijack fail! :P
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Since the Welcome to Our New Forum (take 2)! announcement thread isn't locked that seems a more logical one to use for feedback about it and let this one be hijacked. :D
  • am i doing it wrong?

sjk wrote:

Since the Welcome to Our New Forum (take 2)! announcement thread isn't locked that seems a more logical one to use for feedback about it and let this one be hijacked. :D
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    forumboy wrote:

am i doing it wrong?

No, you're just "holding it wrong." :-P

You should be able to post in that thread.
This discussion has been closed.