Input Incorrect Master Password

DeKaL35
DeKaL35
Community Member
edited September 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hey guys,

A little bit frustrated here..

Is it possible to get yourself locked out due to excessive attempts? I know my password but incorrectly typed it in due to being in a rush. I have a feeling now that my account is frozen/locked out. Is there a way to unlock this?

Please advise as to what I can do...

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DeKaL35,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Is it possible to get yourself locked out due to excessive attempts?

No. There is no throttling other than PBKDF2 which slows automated cracking but doesn't have any perceptible effect on human attempts.

I know my password but incorrectly typed it in due to being in a rush. I have a feeling now that my account is frozen/locked out. Is there a way to unlock this?

Do you mean that you incorrectly typed in a new Master Password when changing it? If so, you can restore a backup file from just before the change. You'll be able to unlock with the old Master Password. If you didn't change your Master Password and you know the correct one simply enter it to unlock 1Password. Nothing changes no matter how many failed attempts you made previously. A correct Master Password entry will unlock 1Password regardless.

If you think you know the Master Password but it is not being accepted, please be sure to try all the steps in the User Guide.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

• DeKaL35
    DeKaL35
    Community Member

Hi Khad,

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately your suggested tips did not work. I never changed my master password and have not forgotten it as I wrote it down just in case and have double and triple checked my spelling.

What are my options as this point? Is there a way to start over? Can I purge all previous saved entries? Do I have to pay the fee again? Please advise.

D

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

If the password is not being accepted then it is not being entered 100% correctly. There is no charge to start over. 1Password is an encryption app not a hosted service. We don't have any of your data. It's all on your own machine, and if you already have a license for 1Password then you're all set. You'll just need to start over as described in the User Guide that I linked to above. It's linked to from the section called "Start Over":

What do I do if I forgot my master password?

Here is a direct link:

How To: Start fresh with a new data file (Agile Keychain)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Of course, I would also suggest that even if you didn't recently change your Master Password it may be prudent to try restoring a backup just in case your encryption keys were somehow damaged.

• DeKaL35
    DeKaL35
    Community Member

Thank you Khad.

If I understood your FAQ correctly, the backup that is default on the Mac Version, wouldn't restore it since it is not stored on the computer itself?

I also noticed it is not working on my iPhone...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What do you see when you select File > Restore Data File from Backup from the menu bar in 1Password? Your most recent backup should be listed at the top and automatically highlighted.

This discussion has been closed.