Tailored Auto-Generated Passwords

Options

Hi,

As you know, many websites have a different set of limitations on what characters its passwords contain, and the length of these passwords.

In order to make it easier to change passwords, is there some way 1Password can help the user memorize these limitations for each website?

Hence, would it be possible for the 'Generate' button to result in a password that automatically adheres to the website's password limitations?

Cheers,
DanDan565

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dandan565,

Unfortunately, there is not a way to automate this since websites to not provide these restrictions in a way that 1Password can programmatically access — if they even provide them at all. I've seen some sites refuse certain passwords but give no clue as to what the restrictions are. In these cases, I usually try a 20 character password with no symbols. I'll drop it down from there if necessary, but it's usually the symbols that are the problem. It would be great if there weren't any restrictions on any site. Maybe one day…

Until then, please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers!

• dandan565
    dandan565
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Khad,

How about a feature request?-

Could there be some sort of field/s for each website which stores password limitations for that website?

Users could manually populate this field. There are really only 2 types of attributes-

1. Prohibited password characters
    2. Maximum password length

Then, when the user presses the 'generate' button for the password of that website, the generator automatically adheres to the password limitations of the website.

This would make it easier to change passwords on multiple websites regularly (which is what good password management is all about right?)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I’ll pass your feature request along to the developers. Thanks for your feedback! :D

• itisilefunk
    itisilefunk
    Community Member
    Options

Could the feature be extended somewhat to there being a public list of requirements. Eg Agilebits have a webpage that lists websites and their password requirements. The generate button could then dynamically query this website to get the requirement and then generate the password ?
    The webpage could be updated in the same process. So if the website isn't in the list it can be put there with length, digits, symbols etc, and then this can be updated if 1 password successfully sets a password with higher limit?

So first 1 password user to access a site finds nothing and has the hassle they do today. But then anonymous data is sent back to agilebits with the website name and characteristics of password stored, eg 12 characters incl 2 numbers and no symbols. The 2nd person coming along will automatically generate a password with these characteristics and no information will be passed to agile. Third person will also generate a password with these characteristics but if they choose to override them with a 15 char passwords, 2 numbers and 3 symbols. If successful this would then be passed to agilebits so any future attempts to generate passwords would all be 15char, 2 numbers and symbols etc.

It would mean agilebits incurring s mall cost to keep the webserver up etc, there may be security concerns as the requirements for various websites woould be listed, also it would mean most 1 password users having the same length password for the same site which may be beneficial to crackers. But it may be differentiator between 1 password and other password managers.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @itisilefunk,

You've got the gears spinning in several minds here - that's an intriguing suggestion! It's been passed on to those with the power to make magic happen ... Thanks so much for sharing the idea :)

This discussion has been closed.