Unable to sync using Dropbox on iOS 7 and iPhone 5s

ddmincorporated
ddmincorporated
Community Member

I can sync using Wifi but every time I try to configure 1Password to sync using Dropbox, it cannot log into Dropbox. It returns the message Error(null) or something similar. I'd tell you exactly except the 1Password lock screen kicked in and after entering my pin, the 1Password app is a blank, black screen. I double and quadruple checked I was typing in the proper Dropbox userid and password.

Comments

• ddmincorporated
    ddmincorporated
    Community Member

Nevermind. I assumed 1Password would update in the transition from iPhone 3GS with iOS 5 and iPhone 5s and iOS 7. Nope. Have to buy the upgrade. Check!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

It sounds like you got things sorted out, but please do let me know if you have any further questions. We're always here to help. :)

• UnclKracker
    UnclKracker
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue only the phone is a 4S and the version of 1Password is 4. I've had 1Password and Dropbox on this phone for more than a year and it has worked well. Is there an issue with 1Password/Dropbox and iOS7?

• Hi @UnclKracker - Thanks for getting in touch with us! I am not sure what is happening for you - if you could get in touch with us at support@ agilbits .com and send in your Diagnostics Report send in your Diagnostics Report, we can have a better look at things for you. Please refer to this forum thread when you email in.

As a work around, can you try doing a hard restart of your app - the one where you double tap and then swipe it up to close. Hopefully this might give everything a kick and get things back up and running :)

• konfident
    konfident
    Community Member

Hi just today I found out that my 1pw will not sync with dropbox anymore. This seems to happened after I upgraded to IOS7. Please help me out!

The error I got on my Iphone was:

error="This app uses a version of Dropbox integration that is no longer supported. Please update your app or contact its developers."

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@konfident, are you by any chance using 1P3 on your phone? 1P3 on iOS no longer supports Dropbox sync because of changes in Dropbox's API. If you are using 1P3 on your Mac and 1P3 for iOS you can use wifi sync. If you have 1P4 on your Mac and 1P3 on your phone you'll need 1P4 for iOS on your phone to sync using Dropbox, iCloud or wifi.

Stephen

• konfident
    konfident
    Community Member

I realized that I forgot to add some more important info.

Iphone 4GS with IOS7
    1PW Pro version 3.6.5

iMac with Mavericks
    Dropbox version 2.4.6
    1Password 3.8.21 (build 32009)

sync 1password with imac fully functional.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Peter

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @konfident,

Thanks for following up with those details. As @Stephen_C says, Dropbox recently made some changes to their API that have made it impossible for 1Password 3 for iOS to use Dropbox sync. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Since you still have 1Password 3 for Mac installed, you should be able to keep your devices in sync easily using Wi-Fi sync. Just follow our guide here: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password3/ios-wifi-sync.html to get set up!

Please let me know if you have any further questions :)

• JeffZ
    JeffZ
    Community Member

I'm unable to sync anyway. Normally it's been from Dropbox, but I tried from wifi & iCloud and my MAS version 4.0.5 doesn't sync from anywhere.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JeffZ,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting synced up. What version of 1Password for iOS are you using?

• konfident
    konfident
    Community Member

MegAn,

i like the automatic sync via dropbox. Wifi sync is too much hussle because I have to open 1password on both ends in order to sync. Is there a way to sync in an other way then dropbox?

• Jasper
    edited November 2013

@konfident Sync options include iCloud, Dropbox, or wifi. Keep in mind that iCloud and wifi only work between 1Password 4 on Mac and iOS, not any other platforms or versions (which require Dropbox). Hope that helps!

EDIT: Those are the sync options in 1Password 4 only. I realize now that you are talking about 1Password 3 - where the only option on iOS is wifi. See blog post for details.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @konfident,

I am a big Dropbox fan too. Unfortunately, the issue you are seeing is the result of a recent change that Dropbox made to their API. We've written a blog post that should answer most of your questions here: http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/08/08/1password-3-dropbox-sync-faq/

But, the basic gist of things is this: due to these changes, 1Password 3 for iOS can no longer sync via Dropbox. Our new version is 1Password 4 for iOS has been built to work with Dropbox's latest and greatest sync technology. 1Password 4 for iOS has been for sale in the iTunes store since December, as a separate purchase from version 3 (the "old" and still supported version).  We did this because it's basically an entirely new application, built bigger, better, faster, and stronger.  It is also a universal app now, meaning you only require one purchase for all your iDevices associated with your Apple ID, using iOS 6 or greater. Since the iOS device(s) you want to run 1Password on are running iOS 6+, the best solution is to move to 1Password 4 for iOS.

You can check out 1Password 4 for iOS in the App Store:

http://j.mp/1PasCS

Once installed, just open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap that you have used 1Password before, then tap Sync with Dropbox.

If you would prefer to continue using 1Password 3 for iOS, Wi-Fi sync with 1Password 3 is the way to keep things synced up.

I do apologize for the inconvenience, please let me know if you have any further questions.

• JeffZ
    JeffZ
    Community Member

@Megan - 4.3.2. The latest. iOS syncs to Dropbox, but MAS doesn't.

• konfident
    konfident
    Community Member

Megan,

Thank you for your complete answer to my question. If I update 1password for ios do I have to update on the mac too?

Kind regards,
    Peter

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JeffZ,

I think the quickest way to track down just what's happening on your system is to see a Diagnostics Report from your Mac.

Please Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

Hi @konfident,

You do not have to upgrade 1Password on your Mac. 1Password 4 for iOS will sync just fine with 1Password 3 for Mac. The only thing to note is that features such as Favourites will only be accessible on your iOS device, as they are new to 1Password 4. :)

• konfident
    konfident
    Community Member

Megan,

Thanks for your help!

Kind Regards,

Peter

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Peter ( @konfident ),

I'm glad I was able to help! If you have any further questions, we're here for you :)

• JeffZ
    JeffZ
    Community Member

@Megan MAS 4.0.8 fixed the (my) syncing issue... But I see a failure in AgileBits support system when the AgileBits support staff here doesn't see the relation between the unable to sync issues with the MAS version. Clearly I was able to see the pattern just in the posts in these forums. My concern over this has already been forwarded to AgileBits more directly.

But thank you for your attempt to help, but the steps you just mentioned were already done by me last week. And now MAS 4.0.8 fixed my issues.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JeffZ,

Again, I'm sorry that we were unable to track down your sync issue more efficiently. Many of the steps that were suggested to you were successful in solving the issue for other users, so I do apologize that they did not work for you.

In the end though, I'm so glad to hear that 4.0.8 fixed the issue for you! Every product launch seems to have a few glitches, and we have had a few significant syncing-related bugs during the initial stages of 1Password 4. Our developers have been working around the clock to get these bugs squashed and to get 1Password running smoothly and securely for you. We really appreciate your patience, and your feedback here.

• Dhuff7
    Dhuff7
    Community Member

I have Version 3.7.2 and for some reason it stopped sycing with dropbox. I had previously paid a good amount to put this on my iphone, and PC...and now it does not sync. This brings me to several issues.

1. From what I see on the support pages....I have to buy a new version in order to use the program the way I bought it? If this is the case what stops you from just "upgrading" me out of my current version over and over until I am penniless? :)
    2. I have been putting passwords in Password 1 that are not syncing to my computer. If I fold...and pay another $17 dollars will it keep my new information that has not sync'd with my desktop? Will all of the things on my desktop be protected as well?

Thank you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dhuff7,

I'd like to apologize for the confusion here. You're right, Dropbox made some changes to their API back in September that have made it impossible for 1Password 3 for iOS to sync using Dropbox. Our new version is 1Password 4 for iOS has been built to work with Dropbox's latest and greatest sync technology. 1Password 4 for iOS has been for sale in the iTunes store since December, as a separate purchase from version 3 (the "old" and still supported version). While we'd love to be able to update 1Password 3 for iOS to make it compatible with Dropbox's new API, we're just not able to. When we launched 1Password 4 for iOS last year, we removed our three previous 1Password 3 for iOS apps from sale to avoid confusing customers. Apps removed from sale cannot be updated.

I hope this helps to explain the situation a bit - we're certainly not trying to force you to upgrade! In fact, if you'd prefer to remain with 1Password 3 for iOS, we can still keep you synced up if you have 1Password 3 for Mac, we'll just need to use WiFi sync.

If you just need a way to backup your data to a Mac or PC for safe keeping, 1Password 3 for iOS has a nifty Backup & Restore option. 1Password can create an encrypted backup of your data file, and you can use a browser on a Mac or PC to copy that file to a place for safe keeping. Here’s our guide to get started with that:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html

If you do decide to upgrade, I'd be happy to guide you through the process so that your databases on your iOS device and your computer are merged correctly.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, we're here to help :)

This discussion has been closed.