Excel cannot paste passwords copied from Safari extension

FragileBits
FragileBits
Community Member

I can no longer copy a newly created password from the Safari extension password generator directly into an Excel spreadsheet. This used to work fine with the previous version of the extension (3.x)

Error message: "Microsoft Excel cannot paste the data".

The only way around this is to paste the data into TextEdit and then re-copy it into Excel, which amounts to a major downgrade in usability.

This is a big issue for me, as there are many username and password records that I don't want to save in 1Password and/or want to keep a separate manual copy of in a (password protected) Excel file.

On a related point, I note that I now MUST use Fill > Copy instead of being able to double click on the new password itself and right click to copy it, which also isn't an improvement.

Comments

• Hi @FragileBits,

This copy/paste is a known issue, it has to do with Microsoft Office using the much older Carbon pasteboard type. We're using the standard pasteboard APIs and for some reason, OS X cannot convert our content into the older Carbon pasteboard that Excel is using. We're investigating for a workaround and if we can find it, we'll get it fixed in an update.

As for the password, you don't have to double-click, just hover over the password (there'll be a hover bar showing up around the whole field) and click on anyway within that bar to copy it.

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member

Hi Mike

Thanks - and I'm sorry for not spotting this in the known issues thread (I did look first, but still missed it). I look forward to you hopefully being able to find a workaround in due course, as copying via TextEdit is a real pain in the whatsit.

I'm afraid I can't replicate your alternative method for copying a new password to the clipboard - nothing happens (no hover bar and nothing if I click over the top of the password with either mouse button).

• Hi @FragileBits,

Are you using any special clipboard managers on your Mac, that could interfere with how 1Password copy to your clipboard?

This is the hover bar I was referring to:

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member

Hi Mike

No, not using any clipboard managers. However, I think you may be misunderstanding me: I'm referring to standalone use of the password generator in the Safari extension, which doesn't look at all like your screenshot.

• Hi @FragileBits,

Ah, gotcha and yes, I did misunderstood. I thought it was two separate issues and when you said on a related point, I thought it was related the password field in the main app. My bad.

Yes, the lack of the selectable text field to let you copy the whole thing is something we want to fix in a future update. Many users do this to also modify the password before copying the whole string as well. We'll get this fixed for you as soon as possible.

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member

Hi Mike

Thank you, that's excellent news (especially as I also like to tweak new passwords occasionally).

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome, @FragileBits (on behalf of Mike), Enjoy your day!

This discussion has been closed.