Safari extension can't find app 1P v4 [fixed]

Options
Pr0fMadman
Pr0fMadman
Community Member
edited October 2013 in Mac

Hi all,

I just upgraded from 1Password 3 to 4 on a mid-2013 MBA running Mac OS X 10.8.5 and I'm having issues getting the Safari extension for 4.x recognising that my 1Password app is installed. I sync my vault to Dropbox and have no problems opening up the main app and retrieving passwords in there.

I'm using version 4.0 (400200) which was bought from the MAS. Initially, I had the 1Password mini icon in my menu bar and initially the extension worked with v4. This was prior to removing v3. (it somehow installed v4 into a folder called 1Password in my Applications folder). I then proceeded to uninstall v3. Had some updates in the MAS for the Mac and rebooted and since then the extension doesn't recognise that the app is installed.

I uninstalled v3 by dragging the app to the trash and emptying. I've removed the extension from Safari for 3 as per the upgrade instructions but didn't create a bogus entry as I was sure my vault was synced up to Dropbox.

When I reboot, I don't get the 1Password mini icon and attempting to reinstall the extension just ends up on a page in this image:

https://dropbox.com/s/tnhpwn5vncphqlb/1P4exterror.png

I can't click on anything in there to take me to the link, although I've searched the forum for a solution but only found posts related to beta builds. I've also managed to reproduce the exact issue on my mid-2011 Mac mini running OSX 10.8.5 so either I'm doing something wrong here or something's gone awry.

Hope anyone can help out here! :)

Comments

• Pr0fMadman
    Pr0fMadman
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Okay, just tried this:

• Ran v3 uninstall script
    • Removed v4 extension from Safari
    • Dragged v4 app to the Trash (and authenticated as it required root privileges to do so)
    • Rebooted
    • Reinstalled v4

Immediately the 1P mini app was showing in my menu bar and the Safari extension registered and recognised 1P straight away. After a reboot, the issue is back. I am not running any security software on my MBA. I'm suspecting there is an issue getting the 1Password mini process to spawn and the extension is looking for this but can't find it?

Edit:

The process shows up in Activity Monitor but doesn't show in the menu bar.

https://dropbox.com/s/c8lgii0hn6gwi5d/1Pmini.png

• Pr0fMadman
    Pr0fMadman
    Community Member
    Options

No ideas? I found a workaround in the interim. After a restart if I open 1P and go to Help Menu > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini the little lock shows up in the menu bar and Safari extension recognises that 1P is present straight away. The problem is that I have to do this every time after a reboot. Is the Safari extension dependent on 1P mini being available? It certainly appears to be the case.

• Hi @Pr0fMadman,

It sounds like OS X is not starting the 1Password mini process in the background when rebooting or 1Password mini is not configured to do so.

Can you open the main 1Password app, unlock, go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > General. Is Always Keep 1Password mini running checked?

If yes, try rebooting once more, confirm the issue and then open the main 1Password app, unlock and don't restart the mini just yet. Go to Safari, does it work?

• Pr0fMadman
    Pr0fMadman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT

I can confirm that the "Always Keep 1Password mini running" is checked. After a restart, the key is not visible in the menu bar but I've confirmed that the 1Password mini process is visible in Activity Monitor. I unlocked 1P, verified that the setting is still ticked and the key isn't visible. Launching Safari and clicking on the extension button yields the same error as in my original post above. Restarting 1Password mini from the Troubleshooting menu fixes this for me and immediately after doing so the 1Password mini "key" is visible in the menu bar

• That's strange.

Can you reproduce the same problem but this time, don't fix the problem but instead email us your diagnostic report. The logs may help us see if there are errors from mini.

Thanks, I know it sucks to keep rebooting but we really appreciate your help and time on this!

• Pr0fMadman
    Pr0fMadman
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT I've done as requested :) Problem now is I used the diagnostic tool's repair functions but not sure if this also applies to 1Password4? It's now completely knackered (the 1Password mini is not even showing up after doing a restart from the troubleshooting menu).

Can you provide complete uninstall instructions for 1Password 4 (including preferences, plist and other config files, not just dragging the app to the Trash)?

I want to follow uninstall as per this http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/uninstall.html (to remove any legacy 1Password3 files) and then the same for 1Password4 and completely start over to see if that fixes my problem. I've found all Agilebits and 1Password components and removed those and re-installed but I think I missed something as the fresh install still recognises my password DB and doesn't invoke the introduction wizard

Cheers

• Pr0fMadman
    Pr0fMadman
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Update: FIXED! :D

I did a grep from the Terminal and removed all references to agilebits, onepassword and 1password. I think the main culprit was two folders in the /Library/Containers folder but can't verify. Anyway, rebooted, re-installed 1Password4 from the MAS and when I launched it, it took me through the wizard as you'd expect.

I just tried a reboot and the app is working flawlessly! I'll now attempt this on my Mac mini too and see if I get the same results :)

Edit: This resolved the problem on my Mac mini too. Thanks for your assistance @MikeT!

This discussion has been closed.