Why would you want to use 1Password to generate a new Apple ID password?

Options
jamauai
jamauai
Community Member

I'm a brand new user (purchased both Mac and iOS apps a few minutes ago). What doesn't make sense is the fact that I need the 1Password app in order to login with my Apple ID. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but from what I know, I don't have the app because can't download it because I don't know my newly generated Apple ID password, and I definitely don't want to open 1Password on my laptop, reveal the 20 character password and painstakingly input it to my iPhone every single time I decide to restore iOS. Oh the madness... Is there a better way to do this? How are you all doing this? Pls share! Otherwise I'll just keep my Apple ID password separate from the rest of my 1Password stuff and use that to log in.

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I confess I don't understand what your problem is. Once your Apple ID is in 1PW it can always be copied to use elsewhere when needed. You might have to enter it manually once, but no more.

Is your issue that you have 1PW on the Mac, but need to input the Apple ID in order to download 1PW to your iPhone? Even then there is an alternative, you could get it via the app store in iTune Store on the Mac and sync it across to the iPhone.

As you can gather, I am confused as to what the issue is, which may well be my lack.

• jamauai
    jamauai
    Community Member
    Options

My point is I think it's ridiculous that I'm required to have at least one other device available that will reveal to me the password (or via wifi sync, however that works). What if the only thing I owned was an iPhone? How would I get my generated password without a Mac that has the app already installed? Even if I did own a Mac, I don't want to have to manually type in my 28 character scrambled password. Even once, because it defeats the whole purpose of seamlessness.

On a similar note, how can I log in to any of my accounts on a public computer that doesn't have 1Password installed? You mean to tell my I have to look on my iPhone and manually input everything? What if I didn't have my iPhone with me?

• jamauai
    jamauai
    Community Member
    Options

I found the answer. 1Password Anywhere.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

hi @jamauai,

1Password Anywhere is a great way to have access to your 1Password database anywhere - I'm glad you discovered it!

I'd also like to direct you to our Towards Better Passwords blog post, which talks about how to create nice strong passwords that are easier to type.

If you have any further questions or concerns, we'd be happy to help :)

• jamauai
    jamauai
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks I appreciate it (:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @jamauai :)

If you have any other questions as you learn 1Password, we'd be more than happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.