Dropbox Sync Not Working

Comments

• etrep
    etrep
    Community Member

I just wanted to point out that I too, noticed that my keychain items were no longer syncing, following the installation of the MAS version. I have been on the beta program for a while and did not have this problem with the beta builds.

Yesterday, I "reset" the dropbox sync on all my devices and things seemed to be syncing OK after doing that.

But this morning, after seeing somebody mention the issue on Twitter, I made a quick test and deleted one old entry from one device and the change was never synced to any of my other devices.

• roustem
    edited October 2013

Everyone,

Thank you very much for all the information you shared in the forum! Thanks to you we found the problem. It is happening with 1Password 4 for Mac currently available in the Mac App Store (version 4.0, build 402000). The app is sandboxed and when you select folder for syncing with Dropbox, OS X will give 1Password permissions to access the selected folder. These permissions are then saved in the application settings.

The bug in the current version prevents 1Password from accessing the selected folder after 1Password mini is restarted. We hope to fix this problem and submit an update to the Mac App Store asap.

Please note that if your "1Password.agilekeychain" is stored in ~/Dropbox/1Password/ folder then you are not affected by this issue because 1Password has specific permissions to this folder.

• sbauer
    sbauer
    Community Member

I sync between two Mac's, an iPhone, iPad and a Win7 PC. I'd be glad to move the data into a ~/Dropbox/1Password/ folder if you could provide me with the correct procedure to change all my devices without jeopardizing the data.

• devnulled
    devnulled
    Community Member

Hey everyone,

I was having this exact same problem with 1P but I have the classic version (non-App Store). I got an update notification this morning for 1P and updated, and now Dropbox syncing is working again!

Thanks so much for your hard work on 1P 4! Now if I just had a proper Android client I would be completely satisfied with 1P. :)

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

Please note that if your "1Password.agilekeychain" is stored in ~/Dropbox/1Password/ folder then you are not affected by this issue because 1Password has specific permissions to this folder.

My Dropbox folder is not stored in this folder. Can I just create such a folder with Finder and move the agilekeychain file there? or does it have to be created by 1Password to have the right permission?

Thanks

• @mikebore,

There are no special permissions and moving the .agilekeychain there with Finder would work. Make sure you wait for the Dropbox to finish syncing and also check the 1Password > Preferences > Sync points to the right location.

It is probably better to disable the sync in 1Password > Preferences > Sync, then move the file, and then enable the sync again.

Please wait for the Dropbox to finish syncing the changes before you use iOS or Android app.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

roustem, Thanks very much for that...can I refer you to my supplementary but related question which I put in a new post here:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16709/how-do-i-create-new-agilekeychain-from-my-icloud-data#latest

Thanks

• Michael Mercurio
    Michael Mercurio
    Community Member

@roustem, in response to:

Do you see any message shown in Console right after you make the change in 1Password and the sync is triggered?

I upgraded 1Password via the MAS and upon syncing with Dropbox I'm seeing the following logs in Console:

10/9/13 9:51:40.707 PM sandboxd[6440]: ([6435]) 2BUA8C4S2C.com.a(6435) deny file-read-data /Users/michael/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/1password.keys
    10/9/13 9:51:40.716 PM sandboxd[6440]: ([6435]) 2BUA8C4S2C.com.a(6435) deny file-read-data /Users/michael/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/.1password.keys

How to proceed?

• darren13
    darren13
    Community Member

Hi -

I'm using 1P V4 (402000) from the Mac App Store.

My agile keychain is stored in dropbox/1password/

But no syncing for me I'm afraid.

Any updates?

• ThomasB
    ThomasB
    Community Member

just saw this thread after i posted a new one. Glad i'm not the only one having this sync issue and there's a fix in the works for the MAS version. Here is my thread that explains in detail. http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16765/dropbox-sync-issues-with-updated-mas-v4-0-and-ios-v4-2-7#latest

• KevinGoldsmith
    KevinGoldsmith
    Community Member

I am also having this issue (I sync using Dropbox across two macs and 3 iOS devices. I moved the 1password.agilekeychain file into the 1Password folder in dropbox and it worked for my mac, but when I ran the iOS version it re-created the 1Password.agilekeychain file in the root of my dropbox folder, so this is a bigger problem it seems.

• velgor
    velgor
    Community Member

Moving my keychain into ~/Dropbox/1Password/ has resolved the issue for me. I'd even go so far as to say syncing performance on iOS has improved since I've done this. One recommendation: delete 1Password from your iOS devices and reinstall if you intend to do this or anything equally substantial to your configuration.

• mhudes
    mhudes
    Community Member

Same sync issues. I did not purchase through Apple App Store...purchased from site and cannot get sync to work. I have tried all suggestions....what now? I need this to work ASAP

• mhudes
    mhudes
    Community Member

What is more confusing is that after following the instructions and disabling sync on my Mac version 4.0.2 and choosing to delete the files on Dropbox, it still says NEVER SYNCED. It just gave me a message when I turned sync back on saying that it is going to create a brand new vault file in dropbox and 1password will keep it in sync. I hit START SYNCING....And the text on the screen under the path to my 1password.agilekeychain says NEVER SYNCED. I logged into Dropbox and confirmed the delete and then logged in again and confirmed that it was re-created. You would think it has to have the correct data now. I then switch to my iPhone 5S and turn sync back on for Dropbox. I point it at the same spot on Dropbox.... the first time it syncs, it gives a red exclamation point and the error message says that there was a problem with the dropbox service. It then tap it and it re-syncs and looks like it succeeded. It says last synced a second ago. Data is STILL NOT CORRECT. Does not match my Mac??????

• cavenewt
    cavenewt
    Community Member

Mine is also not syncing from my Mac to my iPhone. I don't mind switching to Wi-Fi sync while this is ironed out. However, I also think I suffered some of the lost attachments in the upgrade. I did export a .1PIF file before I upgraded, so I can always get back to where I was. But I'm kind of concerned about the missing attachments. In the meantime, does Wi-Fi sync seem to be working okay?

• cavenewt
    cavenewt
    Community Member

Just as an update to my previous comment.

I spent all morning wrestling with this, and ended up downloading the web version of the app to replace the MAS version, which has issues. Apparently Agile is going to do something about transferring the license. After I posted before, I learned that the iOS version of the app doesn't do Wi-Fi syncing yet (not to mention that Wi-Fi syncing does not preserve attachments, so that's out for me), plus it turned out I had lost some attachments in the update. I got all my stuff back by going to a dropbox backup and using the web version of the app 4.0.2.

• krgraham
    krgraham
    Community Member

After redoing everything it appears that Dropbox syncing is working again. First I used Mac app to remove Dropbox sync and erase 1PW files. After confirming via Finder that files were gone I restarted 1PW and turned on Dropbox Sync. New 1Password folder and new agilekeychain file were created. To get everything to work I deleted 1PW app from each of my iOS devices. Then I reinstalled 1PW iOS apps. They defaulted to iCloud sync, which I promptly turned off, and enabled Dropbox sync. After a few passes of the progress bar, everything seemed to work as expected. I modified a few items on both the Mac and iOS to make sure changes were synced and everything seems OK. The first few syncs appeared to take quite long, but now they seem to proceed much faster.

• DanPage
    DanPage
    Community Member

1Password 4.0.2b1 (not MAS) on OS 10.8.5

I was creating new items in 1Password on my Mac but nothing was being changed in Dropbox. I quit 1Password. Then I quit 1Password mini and the next time I started 1Password it updated the files in Dropbox.

• abz
    abz
    Community Member

So is there a fix for this or not? Requiring a specific location for the file seems like a poor and inflexible requirement.

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member

In answer 7, step 2, we are told to go to 1Password Menu>Preferences>Sync, disable Drop box and tell it to delete the data file in the Dropbox folder. Please confirm that we are referred to the data file contained in the html folder in Dropbox and that deleting the file will not permanently delete the data in the file. Thus far, my sync between Macs is resulting in one Mac receiving 82 pieces in the Junkbin.

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member

I have attempted to sync between two Macs in both directions. Neither seem to work.

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member

Sorry Mike, I did not finish the question in #52. Should both Macs receive the treatment you recommend in #7?

• TechPech
    TechPech
    Community Member

I have iMac, MBA, iPhone5s and iPad, all supposedly syncing via dropbox but not actually syncing. Some are having success with advice above, others are not. Will this issue be resolved if we just WAIT for an update to iron out this issue? I need it to work ASAP

• owen-b
    owen-b
    Community Member

Worst, most shambolic and ill-prepared upgrade ever?

God help anyonwe who isn't remotely technically literate trying to do this upgrade. Glad I never forced my mum to buy 1P now, she'd have been on the phone to me all weekend.

• cybermat
    cybermat
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

Got the same issue as mentioned by so many other users in this thread. I've deactivated dropbox-sync on my Mac, which is the master, deleted all 1Password data from Dropbox, deleted the iOS apps in iPhone and iPad and gave it another try. I reenabled dropbox sync on my mac and synced it to dropbox, where a 1Password folder was created. I've reinstalled the latest iOS Versions (4.3) on my iPhone and iPad. Then the iPad synced everything and even synced an update i made in 1P on my Mac. 1Password on my iPhone only synced some data, e.g. only 162 logins of 243, 1 credit card from four, and so on. I now spent some evenings only trying to get 1Password working as well as version 3 did, but it's a mess. I've never had a single piece of software, that is so essential to my daily workflows, that was so painful to update.

• cybermat
    cybermat
    Community Member

After the third try of deleting the app from my iPhone and reinstalling it, the sync worked well. I'm curious how it now behaves in everyday life.

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

@cybermat

you will notice that syncing with iOS version 4.3 is finally working but it does the sync only ONE time when you start the App. After that there is no syncing anymore possible until you completely restart the App again. There is no solution to this so far, neither there is a reaction from the agilebits team.

please also see this thread in the iOS section:
    Dropbox Sync doesn't work anymore with version 4.3
    Started by pawo, 12:33 AM

• NLEdit
    NLEdit
    Community Member

It's my MAS versions of 4,that won't sync properly. iOS are fine as are v3 on older macs pros. I've tried the listed workarounds but it's no go. I can't switch to icloud syncing because of the Mac pros. I cannot upgrade the OS enough and they have to stay on 1p v3. But they work fine with the iOS 1p. It's the two machines running mountain lion that won't sync properly even using the Dropbox/1Password folder

• Thank you all for the information you have provided in the forum.

There are two separate issues when using the Mac App Store version and Dropbox syncing.

The first issue could cause syncing to stop after the 1Password mini was restarted. In this scenario is was necessary to disable sync, move the file and re-enable syncing.

This issue has been resolved in the recently released 4.0.3 update available in the Mac App Store. Please apply this update and restart 1Password 4 and 1Password mini.

The second issue is preventing 1Password from instantly syncing-in new changes that have been made. In this scenario a change that was made on a separate device will not show up in 1Password 4 until an explicit sync occurs. An explicit sync occurs whenever 1Password is unlocked, you switch vaults or make a change.

As a work-around to force a sync you can either lock/unlock 1Password or switch vaults.

I apologize for the grief this is causing you. We will be submitting a fix to the App Store as soon as possible.

• annoyedashell
    annoyedashell
    Community Member

Hi,

I am also have a whole world of problems with 1Password 4.
    1) I have the key set up in the 1password subfolder to dropbox
    2) the data on the app on my Mac is the same as the data 1Password.agilekeychain > 1Password.html
    3) Data on iphone is not syncing. When I select dropbox sync on iPhone it starts going through the process but then i get in red "Problem with sync Tap to fix", so i tap.
    4) message: Your iPhone data does not match data in Dropbox. Would you like to Merge?
    5) I press merge
    6) I get asked to "Please enter master password for data in Dropbox" which i do.
    7) The fore mentioned box disappears and I am back to the same screen as before with red "Problem with sync Tap to fix", except this time the cogs on the settings icon at the bottom are rotating but the red ! mark is still there. This carries on for ever with out anything happening and no change to the info in the 1password 4 on the Mac.

PLEASE HELP ME.
    I regret ever "upgrading"

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.