Multiple Vault Suggestions

Michael Tennes
Michael Tennes
Community Member

If there isn't already a way, I would like to suggest a way to select multiple items and move or copy them to another vault. As it appears you have to do one at a time.

Another suggestions is that in addition to "Copy Item" to another vault you have a "Move Item" that will remove the item from the existing vault once it's been successfully moved to the vault chosen. This will be very helpful when Archiving old items.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the suggestions, Michael.

Recently @MikeT wrote:

Also, the ability to select multiple items to copy/move to a secondary vault is on our list, we'll see what we can do in a future update.

I hope that information is helpful to you.

• Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member

I had the same issue and found a good workaround by using the export/import feature.

First off, make sure you have a backup created. Many people have encountered an issue where backups were not working so verify before continuing.

Select all the items you want to migrate to the new vault. Easiest to create a new folder and put the items in there or use the tag filter if you have your items tagged properly. For me, I wanted to migrate my work entries so I just selected the "work" tag.

Once you have them filtered...

• Select all the items in the middle column (click any item in the middle column and press Command+A). If you just click the folder/tag on the left, it is actually only selecting one item in the middle column list.
    • Note the number of items in the list. This is shown at the top of the middle column.
    • Go to File>Export>Selected Items and save the file to a convenient location (like your Desktop). Notice in the filename that it will say how many items are being saved. Make sure this is the same number as in the previous step.
    • Switch to your new vault
    • File>Import and select the saved 1PIF file from your Desktop
    • Verify your items are all there. Again, check the item count at the top

If they were all imported, and you are wanting to move/migrate these items, then switch back to the primary vault and you can delete these items.

Additional Note:
    By default, new vaults are stored in the primary keychain data file. If you want this vault to be completely separate and saved into a new keychain file, do the following steps.

• Switch to the new vault
    • Go to the 1Password>Preferences menu
    • Switch to the Sync tab
    • Choose to Sync to a Folder and pick a location to save the new keychain file.

If you are using Dropbox to sync 1P to mobile devices, DO NOT choose to sync to Dropbox for this vault just yet. See the Multiple Vaults section of the Known Issues thread for more details.

• Hi guys,

Please be careful with the exporting, the export files are not encrypted/protected with a password, so it's seen in a clear view. This isn't a really good workaround if you're concerned about that. If you do this, you have to make sure you secure wipe the export 1PIF files.

We're investigating for a better way to handle in the future that doesn't involve decrypting your data into a clear text format.

By default, new vaults are stored in the primary keychain data file. If you want this vault to be completely separate and saved into a new keychain file, do the following steps.

You're right about all of the vaults being stored in the same internal database file (OnePassword.sqlite), however the syncing is not part of that file. Syncing the secondary vaults via Dropbox into separate data files does not separate that data from the internal database file, it'll still retain all of the vault data there. Basically, there are at least two different data formats being used by 1Password: one used internally by 1Password and two different sync formats.

iCloud/Wi-Fi sync will use the Cloud Keychain format and the Dropbox/Folder sync will use the older 1Password 3 agilekeychain format. We'll phase out the latter format in future updates, so it'll drop down to two formats over time.

However, even when you are syncing all of your vaults separately, all of your vaults are still in the same database in 1Password 4 and not separated.

• Rhapsfx
    Rhapsfx
    Community Member

Vote +1 moving items from 1 to another vault

This discussion has been closed.