Help 1P iOS crashed - now wants to sync new data or merge significantly different data?

Options
365nice
365nice
Community Member

Hi, I've migrated to 1P 4 for a month now, and it has been working reasonable well. I was getting the odd ! in the sync settings - however it seems to sort itself out (and maybe the last update fixed it?)

Anyway today I flipped back to 1P on my iPhone and I got an error saying 1P had crashed and would I like to send logs (I agreed).

When I next launched 1P I get a "problem with sync - tap to fix" error. I then get a msg - your iPhone data does not match data in Dropbox. Would you like to merge?

When I press cancel (not merge) - I get a new msg: data in Dropbox has changed completely. Disable and re-enable Dropbox to sync.
(Why is this new information so much different than the prev screen? That's confusing)

If I click done, I then get a third msg: data on Dropbox has changed significantly. Please disable and Dropbox sync and tenable it again to sync new data.

So what should I do to not lose data? I think up to the point of crash that I was up to date (not certain though). Help!!!!!

Tim

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Before we go any further, please do not open 1Password for iOS until we have a chance to ascertain some more details about the situation. I'd hate for the situation to get worse. Please take no further action until we instruct you to do so.

1. Are you syncing with 1Password for Mac or Windows?
    2. If so, can you confirm for me that your data is intact on your desktop machine(s)?
    3. What specific version of 1Password are you using on your iOS device (e.g. 4.2.3, 4.2.4, 4.2.5)?

We'll get everything sorted out for you. Thanks for your patience.

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - yes, I figured it was best to hold tight and ensure I didn't make anything worse. Thanks for getting back to me.

• I am using OSX (Mountain Lion) and Dropbox.
    • It does seem that my Laptop has correct data. After writing the original message I did think to use the "Backup Data File" option and it popped up a folder that showed previous backups. There was one from earlier in the day (which I think was before the crash) and I then had one from a few hours after the crash. It does seem that some of my recent changes are on my mac - however I think on my iPhone i did delete some of those generated password after verfiying they were the same as the logon details for specific sites.
    • on my iPhone I think I am using 4.2.4 (how do I check that?) - certainly there is nothing showing in the AppStore on the phone to update to, and I recall waiting to update until after the one where it said it caused a crash in the update notes (its the UK store - possibly its 4.2.5?).

I was wondering if the right thing to do was to just get a dropbox copy to overwrite the iphone - but that made me a bit nervous. So I'll wait to see what you suggest.

Tim

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for writing back, Tim.

If you are using 4.2.4, that is the problem. There was a crash in 4.2.4 related to Dropbox syncing. We tried to warn folks in the update description as soon as we caught it, but it is possible you either downloaded 4.2.4 before we caught it or you just didn't see the warning to skip the update. Sincere apologies for this!

Making a backup of the good data on the desktop was a great idea. It was going to be the first thing I suggested, so you are definitely on the right track. :)

What I would suggest now is to completely remove the 1Password app fro your iOS device, reinstall it, and then sync the correct data from your Mac via Dropbox. If you need detailed instructions for any part of that please don't hesitate to let me know. I would be happy to provide more details.

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

Actually I did see that warning, so given there are no updates for 1P on my phone, I'm pretty sure I did have the latest. That said, you have my logs and it sounds like the instructions are the same - delete and recreate. Fortunately you do give warnings that made me think I needed to pause and reflect... Obviously I'd prefer that you don't have this issue (the old days of wifi Syncing to my mac for the last 3 years avoided all this - but instant replication is quite neat as long as I don't lose data). This said I'm going through each letter of my contacts every day and cursing apple for their damn iCloud replication that's duplicated contacts as well as duplicating the notes on random contacts.... Sigh. The auto backup in 1p was a good idea...

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

OK- I removed the app, and reloaded it (suddenly realising that when I went to the app store it was going to ask me for a password and I wouldn't be able to use 1P to get it ;)

It's pretty neat that it filled in all of my dropbox credentials and everything (how does it do that if all the data is deleted?). One confusing UI thing is that when it was resyncing (without me entering anything other than my normal master password) it mentioned that it was syncing with iCloud? I quickly whipped over to the settings to see if it was actually doing that, and iCloud was off and Dropbox on - so I wonder if the settings are stored on iCloud and then it uses those to work out to use dropbox?

Anyway - it all seems fine now - and hopefully I won't get another crash.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Anyway - it all seems fine now…

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

…so I wonder if the settings are stored on iCloud and then it uses those to work out to use dropbox?

Yep. :D

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

It's happened to me again even with a later verions (I'm on 4.2.7 and running iOS6).

I will repeat the instructions above.

I think I know how I caused this (although it shouldn't happen). I updated a wifi password on my iPhone (which I was using to connect my laptop to a wifi station). Then I connected my laptop and realised that the password I had updated on my iPhone actually was incorrect - so I updated it on my laptop. As I was now on wifi I think it updated. When I went back to my iphone I think it then connected and this is where the problem happened. I think it offered to merge a change (not positive) and then I got the error "Data on Dropbox has change significantly". I might also have made another change by adding a comment to that same password.

This seems to easy to do - a conflict on one record causing this is a bit alarming, and its annoying to have to uninstall and re-install. Isn't there a better fix?

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add to this - on reinstalling and about 75% through its resync I get the error: "Failed to list root keychain folder in Dropbox - app error code 715, dropbox error code - 1003"

I think I've seen this mentioned a few times on this forums - anyway I terminated the app and then relaunched it and it seemed to clear.

Still - all of these problems do eat away at my faith in the app - I wish you could fix them and make it more robust.

• sandysantra
    sandysantra
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately I have two different databases (vaults): one for iOS devices and one for my Macs. This is NOT what I intended. I want ALL my devices to sync to ONE Dropbox database. I have been reading threads for an hour and cannot find a procedure for fixing this. After being an Agile customer since March 2008, this is VERY frustrating and disheartening.

When I set up the new version (4) on my iOS devices and then on my Macs, the query about Dropbox vaults was very cryptic. I need a procedure to fix this, and I really wish the install menus had been clearer so that users who have 1Password running on a bunch of iOS devices as well as several Macs could more easily find the one, single, database (vault) that is the ONLY one to be used and get EVERY device to sync to that.

I am at a complete loss as to how to fix this. I know there are divergent (two different) vaults in my Dropbox folder, but I cannot find more than one, even with "Show Package Contents."

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sandysantra,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties getting your data synced up, and I'll do my best to get this sorted for you just as soon as possible! In order to give you the best instructions, I need to know where your most current and up-to-date password data is. If there is one device that has all of your data, we can re-set the sync quite easily. (If your data is scattered, it might require a few more steps, but we can definitely still do it!)

So please let me know which computer or device has your updated data (and confirm that you are using 1Password 4 on all your computers and devices) and we'll go from there :)

This discussion has been closed.