iCloud syncing: Backing up 1Password data question

Options
mikebore
mikebore
Community Member
edited October 2013 in Mac

I have just switched from Dropbox syncing to iCloud syncing, and want to understand backing up.

I understand that 1Password makes it own backups for both Dropbox and iCloud syncing, which can be restored from Prefs/Backup.

With Dropbox syncing I also had the comfort factor that the agilekeychain file was visible, cloned to backups and generally accessible.

With iCloud syncing it is not quite so clear. The only extra level of backup I can see is to "export all" from the File menu, to create a 1pif file.

Can anyone confirm that if disaster struck I could import this 1pif to recreate my data, i.e. that is a valid extra level of backup ?

Thanks.

Comments

• I definitely wouldn't save a 1pif file as a backup. It is not encrypted and all your 1Password data will be stored in plain text!

If you go to Preferences > Backup, you can click "Show files" to see all the backups that 1Password automatically creates. If you wanted, I guess you could save those files in an additional location for an extra level of backup. But personally, I feel safe enough letting 1Password handle my backups automatically.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Jasper,
    One more question please...in a disaster scenario...house burns down, offsite backup out of date....can I just buy a new computer, set up iCloud, install 1Password 4 and be up and running again?
    Thanks

• Yes, in that scenario you could just buy a new computer and setup 1Password from iCloud. Though keep in mind that iCloud is not technically a backup, it is just meant for syncing.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Thanks, Understand. I have clones and Time Machine as well, so the ~/Library/Mobile Documents folder is backed up elsewhere, also the 1Password data file in the Container. But the clones and TM might get lost in the house fire!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi guys,

With big thanks to @JasperP, it looks like all your questions here have been answered, @mikebore. Especially one thing he mentioned can't be overemphasized:

I definitely wouldn't save a 1pif file as a backup. It is not encrypted and all your 1Password data will be stored in plain text!

• Danny_88
    Danny_88
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@sjk Are you saying for users using iCloud for syncing purposes that the 1Password.agilekeychain file is no longer required? (Since switching to iCloud sync I am only able to view backups)

If so, once syncing (via iCloud) is complete can I delete my 1Password.agilekeychain in dropbox since I no longer sync using that service?

Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Danny_88. Since there's no previous mention of 1Password.agilekeychain in this topic I'm a bit puzzled why might might think I was saying anything about it. :)

You've asked great questions about it and already self-answered them correctly! =D>

If you're only using iCloud Sync then any .agilekeychain files are unused and not required. However, people may have reasons to archive them somewhere, e.g. as an extra safety net for retaining information that's too important to risk losing. And it's smart to hang on to them for awhile after switching sync services. Generally, even older keychains can have value as long as information they contain can still be accessed.

Thanks for bringing this up!

This discussion has been closed.