Observations when creating new items/secure notes

1pw80
1pw80
Community Member
edited October 2013 in Mac
  1. I wanted to create a new secure note. So I selected the Secure Note category and pressed Cmd-N. Up popped a menu from which I could pick the type of item to create. Sure, I could use the arrow keys to select it, but it seems much less convenient than v3. And I did notice there's a New Secure Note command with Cmd-Shift-N on the File menu, but if I wanted to create a bunch of other items, like software licenses, it's a lot less convenient. It seems to me it would be more convenient (and consistent) to adopt v3's behaviour for new items. Just select the item type you want, then press Cmd-N (which isn't even listed on the File menu) but it works. More items of the same type? Just press Cmd-N. Done!

2. I know that skeumorphism (sp?) can easily be overdone, and I know that Apple's trend is to eliminate it, but I really liked the yellow notepad appearance a lot more than the now-generic feeling appearance.

Comments

• 1pw80
    1pw80
    Community Member

Regarding #1, I have since discovered that Cmd-Shift-N is context-aware of the selected item type. I'm not sure of the usefulness of the new Cmd-N, though. I suppose my muscle memory will eventually change.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @1pw80.

1. Is there a specific case where you don't see File > New Item… (Command-N)? One reason the command has that shortcut is so it's easier to discover which item categories are available because most are empty by default and won't appear in the sidebar. In addition to up/down-arrow key and mouse usage in that menu, typing the first character(s) of the item type will jump to it.

2. We don't currently have plans to change the appearance of Secure Notes (or add markup support, as @MikeT mentioned).

Thanks for your feedback; we do appreciate it!

This discussion has been closed.