MAS free upgrade in the future

Options
ryanfuse
ryanfuse
Community Member

Will the MAS 1password always be free upgrade? I'm confused how is it a good deal to buy from the web store of agilebits. With the MAS 1password 3 buyers get free upgrade to matter when they bought it while web store customers get 9 months.

I have 1password 3 and i have upgrade pricing available to me, but now I'm thinking whether it's a better deal to just spend the extra 10 bucks and get more upgrades for free in the future.

What to do?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @ryanfuse.

You asked:

Will the MAS 1password always be free upgrade?

All future updates to MAS and non-MAS versions of 1Password 4 for Mac will be free for its purchasers. About after that, @MikeT commented:

It won't be free forever. However, we really can't predict the future as 1Password 5 is likely to be far away (1Password 3 was released back in 2009). So, who knows what will change with the Mac App Store then in terms of offering upgrade pricing.

>

For now, if we were releasing 1Password 5 tomorrow, it'd be sold as a separate app just like we did with the 1Password 4 for iOS app.

He also mentioned:

All website customers who bought 1Password 3 in the last 9 months (the year 2013) from our website will get a free upgrade to 1Password 4. A lot of 1Password 3 website customers paid the upgrade fee to get the MAS version even though the MAS version was still at 3.x. That's why it is free for everybody who bought at the Mac App Store.

You wondered:

What to do?

If you need iCloud Sync only the MAS version supports it. Some discussions of differences between MAS and non-MAS versions might also be helpful, e.g.:

MAS and Store differences

Ultimately it's your choice. :)

This discussion has been closed.