How do I share a vault in 1P4 Mac?

Options
David Jackson
David Jackson
Community Member

Hi, I realise this should be obvious, maybe I am missing something.

I have created a Shared Vault but how do I share it and give others access to it, do I need to assign permissions somewhere?

Dave

Comments

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options
    1. Create a new vault.
    2. Select the new vault in 1P4.
    3. Open up the preferences and turn on Dropbox sync.
    4. Open https://www.dropbox.com/ and navigate to the folder vaultname.agilekeychain
    5. Select "Invite to folder" in the top menu bar.
    6. Add the users that you would like to share the vault with (I uncheck "Allow members to invite others"). Be careful here, once the vault is shared all other users will have that data forever, even if you kick them out.
    7. The other user needs to accept the invite on Dropbox and allow the sync to finish on their Mac.
    8. Click on the vault and 1P4 will open asking them to enter the vault password.
    9. The other users now have the same vault added to the 1P4.

Please note that AgileBits just found a bug that may inhibit proper syncing. I would hold off on sharing for the time being until this update gets pushed in the MAS.

• David Jackson
    David Jackson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, much appreciated.

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@David_Jackson

Here is a help article with more detail that I found on sharing security through Dropbox.

• dfsutherland
    dfsutherland
    Community Member
    Options

The answer is given by Fooligan is very useful. But it doesn't answer an even more important question: WHY did I have to search the forums for this information? Given the prominence of the new Vaults feature in the "What's New?" material, I really expected to see TONS more documentation about it.

Things that should be documented include (at a bare MINIMUM!!!!):

• How do I copy and/or move items between Vaults?
    • Why does the copy functionality support only one item at a time? (Answer: it's coming, but support for multiple items isn't built yet)
    • What is the intended usage model for multiple vaults? (And, while we're at it, WHY OH WHY do I have to switch between vaults to look up or fill information? SURELY 1pw should default to presenting search results from all open vaults, right?)
    • How do I see multiple vaults on non-Mac devices (e.g., iOS, Windows, etc.)? (Answer: Windows is waiting for 1pw 4 to become available, iOS is ??coming soon??)
    • How should I limit my use of multiple vaults until they're supported on all devices? (Answer: only enable syncing for your primary vault, or you risk messing up 1pw on your iDevices; I lack information about windows support)

Note: answers above gleaned from reading other posts in this forum and the beta forum. Better answers from AgileBits representatives would be most welcome.

In my optinion, a general roadmap of what to expect going forward would be even better. I don't expect commitments on schedule or even on details of most features, just statements like "iOS support for multiple vaults is coming" or "we're listening to user feedback about searching multiple open vaults, and will take it into account when we decide how that will work in the future." Basically, some acknowledgement that the feature is obviously incomplete and a little guidance or insight into what it might be when it's done.

Lack of this documentation and guidance led me to expect more from the vaults feature than is currently implemented; I expected a completed feature rather than a work-in-progress. Finding out that it's seriously incomplete when we tried to use multiple vaults led my wife to describe 1PW 4 as "totally broken" and "not ready for prime time."

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dfsutherland,

Thanks so much for your feedback! We are currently working to refine our help documents (believe me, it's high on our to do list!) Your post is very informative - I've added your suggestions to our list of potential FAQ topics, and I do apologize that you had to go digging to find the answers that you were looking for.

(and thanks to @Fooligan for the great steps - I couldn't have said it much better myself!)
    :)

• batguano
    batguano
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issues @dfsutherland does. I'll also add that I couldn't even find these discussion forums by browsing your main site--I had to google for them!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I know it's late arriving, but here's some off-forum documentation about multiple vaults:

This discussion has been closed.