1Password 4.3 not syncing custom icons from Mac

mgshoutman
mgshoutman
Community Member

1Password 4.3 was released this morning CET.

After updating I found out that, hence the app store description, custom app icons shown on 1Password Mac 4.0 (MAS version) are not synced (Dropbox) to iOS 4.3. Well except one icon which is from 1Password 4 (Mac).

FYI: all my custom app icons are app icons from different versions of apps as probably upped to the Agile FTP server in my iOS beta program.

Comments

• skylarp
    skylarp
    Community Member

I am having the same issue. The sync gears also never seem to stop turning on iOS 4.3, even though Dropbox claims to be done syncing. Help!

• skylarp
    skylarp
    Community Member

So... I restarted my phone, opened 1Password, and syncing worked properly. After sync was complete, the high resolution icons were available.

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

FYI all other (app) icons are synced, yet not the custom ones (as described above) @skylarp: so I think we have a different issue :)

• vitaly
    vitaly
    Community Member

same here. no custom icon sync. tried to restart, even turn off/back on dropbox sync. nothing

• magicspark
    magicspark
    Community Member

Same here. I've deleted and re-installed, even. No custom icons on iOS.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

Hey guys seeing some issues with Syncing for some of us. So maybe the syncing issues are related to the problem with custom icons. referenced problems I and another have had here. http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16925/dropbox-sync-doesn-t-work-anymore-with-version-4-3#latest

@skylarp I haven't tried the restart of the phone but at this point Ill give it a go thanks.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

@skylarp

The restart allowed my sync to finish but my hang etc in the other thread still happens after about 3 minutes.

However having said that I just added a custom icon to my 1P4 and it did in fact sync. :-?

I am gonna try another just to confirm what I saw.

Many thanks solves 1 issue but other persist. :(

Edit : Confirmed as I added another icon for another software icon and it intact showed up.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

cc/ @mgshoutman @vitaly @magicspark

I am on iOS7 and so far restarted twice and now my icons are showing. I know some of you may have older icons but the ones showing for me were recent ones (a few minutes ago). Can one of you try and add a new icon and restart and see if it syncs.

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member

I got the custom icons to sync to my iOS devices, by doing this: I edited something - anything - in any item that had a custom icon. When 1P synced that edit to my iOS devices, the custom icons went along with it.

• vitaly
    vitaly
    Community Member

i cant sync. i am on dropbox, it shows progress bar but then says synced xx hrs ago. this is why custom icons are also not updated. wi fi sync also does not work.

• BobH
    BobH
    Community Member

I hate to play "me too" but me too. Sync now doesn't work.

• xyzzy01
    xyzzy01
    Community Member

Annoyingly, I have to aol this one. It worked (on iphone/ipad, the first version of 1Password4 also had broken sync) before the latest 4.3 update, now it's just stuck on sync.

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member

@ tighttower: it seems only custom app icons are synced when edited in 1Password 4. Mr Laser Beam tip did the trick.

Yet the new custom icons are bigger on iPhone only and too tight in list view !!

• vitaly
    vitaly
    Community Member

wi fi sync actually does work, sorry. dropbox does not work and even on wi fi sync not all custom icons are transferred from mac to iphone (i am using the agilebits 1P not tha app store one.

• stukey
    stukey
    Community Member

I am also seeing this issue with 1Password 4.3 on iOS (I am running the latest version of the 1PW 4 beta (4.0.2b1) on my Mac).

I have disabled Rich Icon support on the iOS app because I want to be able to use my custom icons from my Mac. As soon as I updated to 4.3 I noticed that the custom icons were not syncing over to the iOS app unless I first made a change to the entry in 1Password for Mac. So I decided to erase my 1Password for iOS database using the "Erase Data" option (which incidentally caused the app to hang without deleting the data - I had to force quit the app from the multitasking UI, relaunch and then use the "Erase Data" again - it worked the second time). I then set-up 1PW for iOS from scratch syncing with my existing Dropbox keychain. This worked and all of my items synced over to the iOS app. However I noticed that some items were still missing their custom icon and I also noticed that after the 1st initial sync, 1PW kept getting stuck syncing with Dropbox - the sync cogs never stopped spinning and the sync never completed - it just kept going. The only way to get it to sync properly is force quit the app and then relaunch. It then works properly for the first sync but eventually it seems to get stuck again.

I am seeing the same issue on both my iPad 2 and my iPhone 5, both running iOS 7.0.2. I thought it was related to specific custom icons that were somehow causing the sync to get stuck. Some icons just wouldn't sync whatever I did, so I deleted them on the Mac and recreated them and then after quitting 1PW on iOS and restarting, they do eventually sync. But the stuck sync cycle does seem to keep recurring. Then I thought maybe it was the size of the custom icons. I have tried to keep them all as small as possible and use ImageOptimize before dragging them in to 1Password.

Anyway I enabled Sync and Dropbox logging and sent diagnostic report to agilebits. Hopefully it will help them to pinpoint the issue!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi everyone,

I'd just like to apologize for the difficulties with icons and syncing in the current version. Our developers are working furiously to get this fixed up. In the meantime, thanks @stukey for sending in that Report, our support team will follow up with you via email, just so we don't get things muddled up between here and there. :)

For those of you ( @vitaly, @BobH, @xyzzy01) who are having syncing difficulties: does a re-start of the app (or the device) get syncing kick-started for you?

For those of you having difficulty with custom icons ( @mgshoutman, @magicspark), does editing the item on Mac or adding a new icon sync properly, as Mr. Laser Beam and @thightower suggested? This information will help us track down where the bug is coming from. :)

Thanks so much for your help in sorting this out - we're hoping to have this resolved as soon as possible!

• vitaly
    vitaly
    Community Member

nothing helps to sync via dropbox. wifi not does work well , for example it says it synced but in reality a new entry was not added, but some custom icons did get updated... this update was only partial (2 out of 4 in my case)

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

@Megan

Megan, I trust everybody including myself appreciates your responsive and professional customer relations work here - thank you for that. Apart from that I would like to offer my feedback to agilebits though, which is consistent with many of your customers: Nobody was forcing you guys to issue a new release iOS 4.3 at a specific date. How in the world can you share a (non-beta) version of this quality? It is hard to understand that such a fundamental and consistently re-produceable flaw (e.g. **standard **DropBox syncing) wasn't spotted by you guys. I am really questioning you applied the due diligence you are owing to your customers. This is not a game software but a security tool which has become daily indispensible for those who are using it. Even when there is always a sort of work-around, you are making the life of your customers difficult; particularly for those who are travelling all the time and do not have any spare time to mess around with tools which are supposed to just work properly. Usage of such software is a question of trust. This kind of issues are not working in agilebits favor concerning that aspect. This is just unacceptable. Again, please do not issue new releases of such quality which nobody has asked for. You could have easily applied more time to do your due dillgence and nobody would have complained that you are not releasing version 4.3 earlier. Thanks. pawo

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member

@megan, custom icon sync works fine now, but I also posted this: http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16939/bug-report-on-app-icon-appearance-software-licenses-section#latest which nobody seems to have noticed :)

• xyzzy01
    xyzzy01
    Community Member

@megan Restarting didn't work for me, but a combination of delete, reinstall and reboot got it working.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @vitaly,

I'm sorry you're still having difficulties - we'll need to see a Diagnostics Report to better sort things out for you.

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

Hi @pawo,

I'd like to thank you very much for your feedback. I do apologize for the inconvenience here - we certainly do not want to make our customers' lives more difficult! Our developers are working around the clock to get this sync issue sorted out, and we really appreciate your patience.

Hi @mgshoutman,

I'm glad to hear that custom icon sync is now working for you! We'll follow up on your other post in the thread there - I do apologize for the delay in responding but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses.

Hi @xyzzy01,

Glad to hear you're (finally) up and syncing, but I'm sorry to hear you had to go through such a process to get there.

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member

@megan, probably also on behalf of many other users; We have understanding for the delay in respons and it is our mutual interest to improve 1Password and solve the bugs. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Just wanted to post an update here:

the source of the sync problems has been tracked down, and the fix version is awaiting approval in the App Store. It will be released as soon as it is approved. In the meantime, we really appreciate your patience!

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member

@megan and what about the web store version ? (which is now at 4.0.2)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mgshoutman,

I apologize for the confusion! The syncing problem was on the iOS end of things, so it is the iOS app that is getting a shiny new update. :)

This discussion has been closed.