Password Generator bugs?

Options
DavidB
DavidB
Community Member
edited October 2013 in Mac

With the 1P 4 Password Generator (in Safari, OS X 10.8.5), I can't highlight and copy the password from its window and even though I have Fill > Copy to Clipboard Before Filling checked, the password doesn't get copied to the clipboard. Clicking Fill > Copy doesn't work either. Is there something wrong with my installation?

Also, unlike in 1P 3, there is no numerical indicator for the number of digits or symbols to be used in the password and in any event, the number is limited to 10 of each. I hope these features might be changed in future releases.

Thank you,

David

Comments

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Corrections:

1) I hadn't seen before that the copy problem is covered in the Known Issues announcement.

2) I hadn't remembered that the number of digits or symbols being limited to 10 characters was also a "feature" in 1P 3.

3) The absence in 1P 4 of a numerical indicator for the number of digits or symbols to be used is only in 1Password mini, not the main application. (I still hope this will be fixed though.)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @DavidB.

I see what you mean re: 3). In 1P mini only length has a numeric value appended after its slider; digits and symbols don't. I'll make a note of that omission along with other Password Generator.changes we're considering.

• Dethpickle
    Dethpickle
    Community Member
    Options

You know what I can't seem to find is the Generator history in 1P4. I see it IF I use the FILL button, but not if I copy it. That's unfortunate because it's caused me to lose two password changes so far...

The "fill" doesn't work all the time when there are sites that have old, new, new in the password change screen. Using Fill replaces the "old" causing it to fail... so I have to use the 1P to fill in my old (and not submit) and then copy in something from the generator. Awkward, but fine. The problem is, you can't EDIT in 1Pmini. You get sent to the 1P app and if you're not careful - which I guess I never am - I click on the existing password to change it, which blows out my new password from the clipboard history.

Either:

• add all generator copies to the saved generator passwords
    • add a change/update button to the NON-EDIT screen view in 1P

or maybe both.

That, or maybe I'm missing some built in way to update passwords. If I am, please point me the right way.

Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dethpickle,

You know what I can't seem to find is the Generator history in 1P4. I see it IF I use the FILL button, but not if I copy it. That's unfortunate because it's caused me to lose two password changes so far...

All generated passwords should be stored in the Passwords category on 1Password's sidebar. I've tested generating a password and using both the Fill and Copy options, and both show up in the Passwords category as expected. In order to test this on your machine, please try generating 2 dummy passwords using the Mini. Use the Fill button for the first and copy the second. Then look in your Passwords category and sort by Date Created, with the Most Recent first. That should put the two just-created passwords at the top of the list. Please let me know if you don't see them :)

The "fill" doesn't work all the time when there are sites that have old, new, new in the password change screen. Using Fill replaces the "old" causing it to fail.

We're always looking for ways to improve the filling feature on 1Password. If you could provide examples of sites where it is currently failing we'll see if we can get 1Password behaving a bit better there. Please note though, that the feature does rely on fields being labelled in a standard way: if on such a form, all fields have the label 'password' for example, 1Password has no way to differentiate between them.

The problem is, you can't EDIT in 1Pmini. You get sent to the 1P app and if you're not careful - which I guess I never am - I click on the existing password to change it, which blows out my new password from the clipboard history.

Either:
    add all generator copies to the saved generator passwords
    add a change/update button to the NON-EDIT screen view in 1P

Thanks for providing your feedback on this. We want 1Password to be as user-friendly as possible, and your case is a good example of an area where we might be able to make things a bit more clear. I'll pass your suggestion along to our developers.

If you have any further questions (or if anything I've said above makes no sense!) please let us know :)

This discussion has been closed.