iCloud sync not working "The operation could not be completed"

LordVaderUK
LordVaderUK
Community Member

Just shelled out my $25 and upgraded to 1Password 4, disappointed to find that the main feature I upgraded for - iCloud syncing - isn't working for me.

I just get the unhelpful error message above. Have tried several times but no joy.

Am I doing something wrong?!

Comments

• Vyper007
    Vyper007
    Community Member

Yeah iCloud sync didn't work for me either, despite it successfully putting its data file in there. I've complained to 1P over a week ago but so far my email is being ignored.

• cyberzac
    cyberzac
    Community Member

I've got the same issue. Neither iCloud nor dropbox sync works. It was working almost perfect with 1Password3. I've just mailed support and got an automated reply. A trouble ticket would have been nice.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

There have been other discussions about problems with iCloud sync—here, for example. No doubt you've seen those and they don't help, but I mention them just in case!

Sorry not to be more helpful but I don't use iCloud sync.

Stephen

• cyberzac
    cyberzac
    Community Member

Well I ran into the same issues with Dropbox sync. I've also tried wifi sync and it does not sync, at least not one entry.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I'm by no means a sync expert, but you are ensuring you have only one sync method selected in 1P4, I assume. Sync does not work happily on a "mix and match" basis, as I understand it. You choose one method and stick to it. (I entirely accept that if that doesn't work you may well need to try another method!)

There is a long thread, with some helpful information, about Dropbox sync here. I appreciate you may well have looked at that already, of course.

Sorry not to be more help.

Stephen

• cyberzac
    cyberzac
    Community Member

Thanks for the pointer. My problem is that I can't enable the sync on my mac. And I did have both iCloud and Dropbox enabled on the phone. But I can see how the setting on my phone would affect the mac software.

• cyberzac
    cyberzac
    Community Member

I finally made a sync data to my iPhone. I'm sorry but I tried several things at the same time both Wifi and iTunes/filesync... So I don't know which way it was triggered. But I'm still unable to set up the iCloud or Dropbox sync on the mac.

• cyberzac
    cyberzac
    Community Member

It look like version 4.0.3 would be something to try. Unfortunally I can't find a download link for it.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

This article on enabling iCloud syncing does specifically mention, at the end:

1Password 4 for OS X only syncs to one sync source at a time. Which means, if you're currently syncing to Dropbox or Folder Sync, you won't be able to sync to iCloud at the same time with them. If you'd like to switch over to iCloud, go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > Sync, disable the current sync you have, and then click on iCloud to move there.

Sorry—have exhausted my (very limited) sync knowledge: I just sync manually through Folder Sync and iTunes! I'm sure others, more expert than me, will be along to help in due course.

Stephen

• cyberzac
    cyberzac
    Community Member

My problem is that I get an error popup when I try to enable iCloud or Dropbox syncing on my mac. I know where to click, and I've had Dropbox sync running for years on 1Password 3.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@cyberzac, even if I can't help you it will probably assist someone if you can post either a screen shot of the error message, or the text of it. It could help to narrow down the problem.

Stephen

• LordVaderUK
    LordVaderUK
    Community Member

The error message just has a meaningless 'there is no more information available' message.

I can't get dropbox working on my iOS devices now, either. So it looks like syncing is totally broken.

Isn't this a fairly fundamental feature? Come on AgileBits, fix this please, or I'll be looking for a refund on 1Password Ver 4.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

There is a useful thread here about Dropbox sync. Note particularly Jeff Shiner's post #60 in that thread and roustem's post #62. (Note: I don't use either Dropbox or iCloud sync and am merely trying to be helpful in case anyone reading this thread hasn't seen the other thread!)

Stephen

• cyberzac
    cyberzac
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

Here is what I sent to support@agilebits.com:

Hi

I've used 1Password 3 for several years now and just switched over to 1Password4. Previously I've set up dropbox sync to my iPhone and iPad. I've never had an issue, even changing phone worked fine.

But I just realised that 1Password4 does not sync anymore. I tried to enable both iCloud and dropbox in the preferences but I only got a pop up window "The operation could not be completed."

From the console:

2013-10-15 10:30:13.429 PM 1Password 4[6513]: -[NSAlert alertWithError:] called with nil NSError. A generic error message will be displayed, but the user deserves better.
    2013-10-15 10:30:30.416 PM WindowServer[110]: CGXDisableUpdate: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "1Password mini" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.
    2013-10-15 10:30:30.504 PM WindowServer[110]: reenable_update_for_connection: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "1Password mini" after 1.09 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)
    2013-10-15 10:30:33.454 PM 1Password 4[6513]: -[NSAlert alertWithError:] called with nil NSError. A generic error message will be displayed, but the user deserves better.
    2013-10-15 10:31:50.245 PM 1Password 4[6513]: 402002 [UI:0x7fbc3aabc930:] I saveState:andReloadDataWithCompletion: | Selected 1729 items: 0.20
    2013-10-15 10:31:50.831 PM 1Password 4[6513]: 402002 [UI:0x7fbc376b3ef0:] I saveState:andReloadDataWithCompletion: | Selected 1729 items: 0.27
    2013-10-15 10:31:51.011 PM 1Password 4[6513]: 402002 [UI:0x7fbc376b3ef0:] I saveState:andReloadDataWithCompletion: | Selected 1729 items: 0.45
    2013-10-15 10:35:09.401 PM 1Password 4[6513]: -[NSAlert alertWithError:] called with nil NSError. A generic error message will be displayed, but the user deserves better.
    2013-10-15 10:35:30.205 PM 1Password 4[6513]: -[NSAlert alertWithError:] called with nil NSError. A generic error message will be displayed, but the user deserves better.

• My version of 1Password4 is 4.0.2 (402002)
    • OSX OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)
    • MacBookPro Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013
  • cyberzac
    cyberzac
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

Success

I read #60 http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16408/dropbox-sync-not-working#latest, and the by killing the password mini, I got the sync running.

I've not received any thing from the support mail I send a part from an automatic reply. Thats bad. On the other hand 1Password have been running smoothly for years.

• Lynn
    Lynn
    Community Member

I have 1Password 4 running on a Mac Pro, iPad ,iPhone 5 and installed family license on my MBA. I just tried to set up iCloud sync on the Macbook Air. It kept telling me that iCloud was not turned on. It was and nothing I did at first helped. Restarts throwing out data files, blah blah. I finally decided to turn off iCloud on the MBA, which generated the alert that contacts calendars etc(basically all the sync'ed iCloud stuff) would be deleted from the MBA. I did this then turned on iCloud again and gave the Air time to get the apps all synced again, Then I launched 1Password 4, made sure that the 1P mini was off and it automatically asked if i wanted to sync with iCloud. All is well. This was a machine(as was the MacPro) running 1Password 3 flawlessly. Sure would be nice if the transition/upgrade to 1P 4 had a more coherent deployment.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cyberzac,

I am so sorry to hear about the difficulties you have had getting synced up. I'd also like to apologize for the delay in responding but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're working hard to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience. It sounds like you might have managed to sort things out, but if you do run into any further snags, please let me know! (Feel free to send me a PM if you're not keen on waiting for a response via email support again.)

and @Lynn,

I'm sorry to hear that your upgrade was not an easy process either. Our developers are working around the clock to get things running more smoothly! I have passed your feedback along to our tech gurus to help them track down where things are going wonky.

This discussion has been closed.