Crash in Chrome: "Click this balloon to reload the extension" [resolved in Chrome extension 3.9.21]

Comments

• tabner
    tabner
    Community Member

I am also having the same issue with the 1Password Chrome extension crashing when Chrome opens.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tabner,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the Chrome extension. We have had several users report this issue, but we've found that in most cases the issue is fixed if you do not launch Chrome on startup. Please go to System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Items and remove Chrome from the list of Login Items.

That should get things all fixed up for you, if it doesn't, please let us know! :)

• jwonet
    jwonet
    Community Member

I also recently started having this issue on my MacBook Air (maybe started as a result of a Chrome update?). Chrome is not in my Login Items. I tried reinstalling the 1Password extension, but there has been no improvement.

It seems like the the crash happens every time after I wake my computer from sleep.

Chrome Version: 30.0.1599.69
    1Password Extension Version: 3.9.19.90

Please fix because the 1Password extension is so handy!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jwonet,

I'm sorry to hear you're still having troubles with the Chrome extension (I agree, it's really handy!) If the Login items fix doesn't solve the problem, we've found a lot of users have success by uninstalling and reinstalling all Chrome extensions. I know it's a bit of a pain, but it should get things working smoothly for you.

• jwonet
    jwonet
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

Unfortunately, that strategy didn't work for me. I only use the 1Password extension and already tried deleting and reinstalling it. Is 1Password able to replicate the issue? Or, is it identified as a user-side environmental issue?

I will add that I am using 1Password Version 3.8.21.

Everything had been working for the last few years up until last week.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jwonet,

I'm so sorry to hear that neither of those solutions are working for you! In order to get this straightened out, we're going to need a bit more information: could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

MAC, 1Password 3: Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• otomops
    otomops
    Community Member
    edited February 2014

I run Chrome 30.0.1599.101 and 1Password for Mac 3.8.21

And the Chrome extension constantly crashes. When I re-load the auto refil fails to work and then it crashes again. It crashes both actively (when I am using it) and passively.

I would be grateful for help. With thanks,
    Joe

• zoeyramone
    zoeyramone
    Community Member

I am having the exact same problem, with the same versions of Chrome and Mac, and with the Extension Ver. 3.9.19.90. I have restarted Chrome, restarted the computer and it still crashes whenever I have Chrome running.

• rjplevin
    rjplevin
    Community Member

Yep, same versions here and same crashing problem. On my machine it tends to be when it wakes up after sleeping that I get the notification of the crash.

• jrodl3r
    jrodl3r
    Community Member

very similar issues w/ Chrome extension here as well...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @otomops, @zoeyramone, @rjplevin and @jrodl3r

Thanks for letting us know that you're having issues with Chrome. I do apologize for the inconvenience, but I can tell you that our developers are aware of this issue and are looking for a way to squash this bug as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience in the meantime :)

• Mitchado
    Mitchado
    Community Member

Same issue as above with Version 30.0.1599.69 of Chrome. I cannot even run a diagnostics report to send you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mitchado,

I'm sorry to hear that the Chrome extension is not behaving for you. If you want to help us track this issue down without sending in a Diagnostics Report, it would be helpful if you could describe the conditions under which the crash usually happens: is there a particular action that causes it? The more detail we have in situations like this, the easier it is to pinpoint the cause. :)

• mhalttu
    mhalttu
    Community Member

I have this same problem and it is making 1Password next to useless for me I don't have Chrome in the Login Items and I've also tried to reinstall the extension.

I tried to generate a Diagnostics Report, but when I press the "Create Report" button the progress indicator spins forever.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mhalttu,

Are you using Mavericks? If so, please try generating a Diagnostics Report by using your browser to download a small standalone tool from us that will run a networked copy of our diagnostics tool.

http://i.agilebits.com/ms/tools/1Password_diagnostics.zip

After the download is complete, use Finder to locate it. It should be in your downloads folder. If the file ends in .zip then your browser has not already unzipped it. Please double click it to expand it.

The expanded file will have a "Unix Executable File" named 1Password_diagnostics. Double-clicking this will cause a Terminal window to open and download some files it needs. (Note: If you use OS X Lion or Mountain Lion, you may need to right click the file, choose Open, and click Open on the dialog).

Once it completes it should open a window in your browser with the results. Please click File->Save As to save this file to your computer. Please save it as "Page Source" or "HTML" if there are options for this.

If you do not get a report created, please copy and paste the output from the Terminal window so we can take a look at the errors that were created. This will help us figure out where the problem is in creating the diagnostics report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• macaaron
    macaaron
    Community Member

I am having the same problem as the others. It's not a login item, chrome is up to date, and 1password 3 is up to date. There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to the crashes, it just happens all the time.

I emailed a diagnostic log to agilebits support 10 days ago and haven't received a response yet.

• cfabric
    cfabric
    Community Member

I have the same issue - chrome extension crashes whenever I wake my computer with chrome running. It would reload without problems from the extensions list. I have tried re-installing and chrome is not in my startup list.

My diagnostic report is coming via mail..

Thanks
    Chris

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cfabric,

Thanks for sending us your report! We'll follow up with you via email so that things don't get confused between here and there. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @macaaron,

Thanks for sending along that Diagnostic Report. I would like to apologize for the delay in responding but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're working hard to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience. Our team will use that Report to try and track down where the trouble with Chrome is coming in, and we'll respond directly to your message just as soon as possible!

• ozusaoz
    ozusaoz
    Community Member

Thanks- real problem over here, too.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ozusaoz,

There are two things that we have found to be useful in this situation:

• Remove Chrome from the list of Login Items (In System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Items)
    • Disabling extension sync in Chrome > Preferences > Settings > Advanced Sync Settings. Then remove and re-install all Chrome extensions.

If neither of these work, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

If you are using OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or OS X 10.7 Lion: Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

If you are using OS X 10.9 Mavericks or OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: Using your browser please download a small standalone tool from us that will run a networked copy of our diagnostics tool.

http://i.agilebits.com/ms/tools/1Password_diagnostics.zip

After the download is complete, use Finder to locate it. It should be in your downloads folder. If the file ends in .zip then your browser has not already unzipped it. Please double click it to expand it.

The expanded file will have a "Unix Executable File" named 1Password_diagnostics. Double-clicking this will cause a Terminal window to open and download some files it needs. (Note: If you use OS X Lion or Mountain Lion, you may need to right click the file, choose Open, and click Open on the dialog).

Once it completes it should open a window in your browser with the results. Please click File->Save As to save this file to your computer. Please save it as "Page Source" or "HTML" if there are options for this.

If you do not get a report created, please copy and paste the output from the Terminal window so we can take a look at the errors that were created. This will help us figure out where the problem is in creating the diagnostics report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

• holgerf
    holgerf
    Community Member

One more user with the same problem. I'm gettting a notification whenever my Mac wakes from sleep telling me the 1Password extension has crashed. I had this problem using 10.8 and now with a clean install of Mavericks.

Sent you a diagnostics report right now, by the way.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @holgerf,

Thanks for sending that Report along. We'll follow up with you via email so that things don't get muddled up between here and there. As I mentioned before, our tech gurus are currently searching for the source of this bug. All the information you can provide is much appreciated!

• halffullheart
    halffullheart
    Community Member

1Password extension for Chrome is also crashing for me, not every time my Mac wakes from sleep, but often. I usually see this when I come back to my Mac after being away for a bit. I don’t remember, it might be crashing on unlock as well, or maybe just wake from sleep.

• fponroy
    fponroy
    Community Member

Hi everyone,

Same issue here on Snow Leopard. The Chrome extension crashes whenever I login with Chrome running.
    Removing Chrome from the startup items did not help.

I've downloaded the Diagnostics Report tool. I'll send you the report straight away.

Regards

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

There are a lot posts on this topic at http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/12831/1password-for-chrome-extension-chrashes but many responses saying "this is the Windows section". But just before starting a new discussion in the Mac section, I found this discussion.

Here is what I have been seeing for the past several weeks: every morning I wake my Mac (Mountain Lion) from sleep. Sometimes I see the notice that "1Password has crashed - click this balloon to restart it" (or similar to that). But most times I do not see this. But the 1Password extension in Chrome is missing. I have to restart Chrome to get it to reload. Then it seems to run fine until the next time my computer wakes from sleep.

Chrome Version 30.0.1599.101
    OS X 10.8.5
    1Password Version 3.8.21 (build 32009)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jasimon9,

I'm glad you were able to find the thread you needed. Unfortunately, this is a long-standing bug that our developers have had quite a time tracking down. While we can confirm that our new version 4 extensions are free of this bug and are behaving properly, it has been slightly harder to solve within the version 3 extension.

My suggestions above of ensuring that Chrome is not in the list of login items, as well as reinstalling all Chrome extensions have been shown to fix the issue in most cases.

We very much appreciate your patience as we search for solutions here :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fponroy,

Thanks for sending that Report along to us! We'll work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion.

• jwonet
    jwonet
    Community Member

Megan,
    I finally found some time to try generating the report. However, the utility just seems to hang on generating a report. I tried restarting my computer too, but no success.

Any thoughts on what to do next? The extension is still crashing a lot in Chrome. It never crashes in Safari though.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jwonet,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty generating the report. If you are using 1Password 3 for Mac with Mavericks, you will need to follow my instructions in post #39.

However, I do want to caution you that, at this point, these Reports are largely for our own investigative purposes. We've been tracking this bug for a while, but other than the solutions I mentioned earlier (removing Chrome from the list of Login Items, and then disabling extension sync and reinstalling all extensions), we have yet to find a proper way to squash the bug. So I can't promise a better resolution, even once we've seen the report.

This discussion has been closed.