New keychain format for Wi-Fi syncing?

Options
manny
manny
Community Member

Which keychain format does Wi-Fi syncing use when syncing exclusively through it? The old one or the new that is also used for iCloud syncing?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

manny

I don't think I have heard anyone say. Great question.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

MikeT said in a post in this thread:

1Password 4 automatically imports your data into a secure internal format with all the latest security improvements. When you turn on either iCloud and Wi-Fi sync, it'll export the new cloud keychain format that'll use the same security improvements.

Stephen

• manny
    manny
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT It's not quite clear to me. Does Wi-Fi syncing use the new keychain format when synced exclusively over Wi-Fi and not iCloud? Thanks for clarifying.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Stephen_C

Makes sense as the old format is only for Dropbox no I dusted the cob webs off. Its used there for a data conduit between different versions. So a wifi sync makes sense to use the new format. As it doesn't need the other as a conduit, much like iCloud doesn't.

• Hi @manny,

It's the same format between Wi-Fi and iCloud, the items are encrypted into 16 band files (same structure as the cloud keychain format AKA iCloud, uses all the latest security protocols) and then pushed to the other side. The other side process the data within the bands and go through it one item at a time, since it needs to skip over unchanged items and only merge in the changes.

It's the same process as the iCloud sync, only instead of writing our own Wi-Fi sync server to push the bands across, we avoid all the networking code and just simply write to our own special 1Password folder within the iCloud directory. OSX's iCloud subsystem handles the syncing for us.

This discussion has been closed.