Little Snitch

Options
cypress
cypress
Community Member

Why am I getting this request (or something very similar) when I log in to the latest 1Password? 1P continues to work if I deny the request but I'd still like to know.

2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper wants to connect to d2x2f6qan2kccj.cloudfront.net on TCP port 443 (https)

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@cypress

Its the rich icons option in 1Password for making your install look spiffy with nice software icons as well as site logins. If this is a concern to you. Then you can always disable use rich icons in 1Password preferences.

The team are using the cloud front server to issue those icon as it scalable and works more geographically than a standard server located in Canada or the USA for example.

The server is set up for anonymity and no personal login details are sent. All thats passed is the URL and the server finds one and returns the site preview. If its a software item them it looks at the name.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @cypress.

The short version of @thightower's answer is in our FAQ:

Can you explain why 1Password contacts CloudFront?
    1Password connects to Amazon CloudFront when the 1Password > Preferences > General > Use rich icons option is enabled. It’s just trying to grab some pretty new icons for you.

And there are some questions/answers about other connections in this topic:

V4 making internet connections

Plus what @MikeT mentioned:

In the next update, 4.0.4, we'll be replacing HockeyApp with our own updater, so that should stop with the hockey app connections but instead, it'll go to our https://app-updates.agilebits.com server instead

That next update turned out to be recently released 4.0.5. :)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk

Gotta have the last word, ROFL. (I am just joking)

Thanks for adding to it. I hadn't seen Mikes post and the update url is a nice think to keep in mind.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @thightower. Hope you and @cypress won't mind that I'll indeed have the last word here by closing this topic. :D

Feel free to start another if you still have unanswered questions about this, @cypress!

This discussion has been closed.