Suggestion: Improving Folders and using tags in 1Password

Options
pugmum
pugmum
Community Member
edited November 2013 in Mac

I'm new to iPassword and am enjoying many of its features. It's very user-friendly but I have one suggestion that I feel would greatly improve how users are able to organize their password data:

Currently, a single item can only appear under one folder, and if that folder is deleted, the item is deleted along with it. Wouldn't it be a lot better if your Folders instead were more similar to "Albums" in iPhoto or "Playlists" in iTunes? That way, you could have one item associated with multiple "Folders"… perhaps more appropriately renamed "Collections" or something like that. So, for example, say I had a "Login" that had my son, Michael's access info for his eBay account. I could then drag it into my "Online Shopping" collection, as well as my "Michael" collection. And, if I decided to delete my "Michael Collection", it would just give me a notice that I was deleting that collection only, not the actual Login item, and would do so accordingly. I would LOVE the app to be able to do this :-)

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @pugmum. Thanks for the suggestion!

Have you tried adding Tags to items to serve the same purpose? One of the main reasons people use them is to "virtually file" items in multiple "locations" instead of just a single one like with traditional folders.

I hope that works for you. :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

And don't forget smart folders! Tags works best when used in combination with smart folders, in my opinon. Also, deleting a smart folder does not delete the folder's items, and an item can be stored in more than one smart folder.

• pugmum
    pugmum
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, thanks @sjk and @Xe997 but I believe that neither tags nor smart folders are available on the iOS version (yet?!) and I rely on my iPhone more than my Mac as I'm often out and about. Any idea if this will change in future versions?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for also mentioning smart folders, @Xe997.

It's certainly possible support for tags and/or smart folders will eventually be added to the iOS version. There's no shortage of requests for and discussions about both, e.g. here, :)

In general, when possible and practical, we'd like to bring more feature parity between versions of 1Password on all platforms.

• pugmum
    pugmum
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @sjk . I just think it's great that there is such a wonderfully supportive community here. I am now confident that I made the right choice moving to 1Password. I left my other app because the developers apparently stopped supporting their password app well when they both got full-time jobs with a big tech company. It made me very nervous that such important data could be useless one day when I upgraded my operating system or simply encountered a glitch. I'm manually entering all of my and my husband's passwords and access info and am at just over 250 entries. Probably got about 100 or so more to go. It's a pretty tedious process but I'm glad it's proving itself to be worth it!

• Hi @pugmum,

Thanks for your feedback about the community, we love our family here.

Just a FYI: If you want to delete the folder but without deleting the items in there, you can do that by selecting all items in the Folder via Command + A and then select Remove from Folder.

After that, you can remove the folder. We'd like to fix this to provide a prompt to ask users what to do when the folders have items in it, either move them to Trash or keep them. This is already in our tracker to improve in the future.

This discussion has been closed.