Why 1Password 4 6.24.41 AM.app?

Options
hawkmoth
hawkmoth
Community Member

Why is my installation of the release version of 1Password 4.0.5 labeled 1Password 4 6.24.41 AM.app in my applications folder?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@hawkmoth

Usually this is a rename of the old/previous app just prior to the install of a new version.

Have you opened the Mac App Store version and made sure it is indeed v 4.0.5 and not the previous version ?

I would remove the app only and reinstall from the Mac App Store, Just drag the actually app to the trash, and re-download, would be my personal resolution.

I have seen it previously with 1Password and other apps. I am not sure if its a Mavericks issue, a Mac App Store issue or what not. I have never had any ill effect more of just a pain.

cc/ @sjk @megan, just incase :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@thehightower, I should have said that I am running the AgileBits web store version of 1P 4. This labeling appeared when I first downloaded it shortly after its release and has persisted to date, including version 4.0.5, which I was notified about earlier today and installed. Can I safely rename it by removing the appended stuff?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I see no issue with that considering you are using the web version. It may not matter no matter the store. FTR.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

The only real thing IMO is that its named 1Password to ensure it works properly.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@thehightower - So I followed your advice to trash the oddly labeled version and downloaded a fresh copy from the web store. The extra label is now gone. My license information was preserved, as were all my data.

Thanks. Now I can quit worrying about it. ;)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

LOL

Yes you can. You should have been able to rename. But I just erred on the side of my OCD ;)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey guys,

@hawkmoth wondered:

Why is my installation of the release version of 1Password 4.0.5 labeled 1Password 4 6.24.41 AM.app in my applications folder?

I should have said that I am running the AgileBits web store version of 1P 4. This labeling appeared when I first downloaded it shortly after its release and has persisted to date, including version 4.0.5,

How did you originally install the webstore version and had you previously been running a beta version? My hunch is that's where the naming mixup started.

Can I safely rename it by removing the appended stuff?

That would have worked. :)

… My license information was preserved, as were all my data.

Yup! That's typically true when "trashing" just the application. Those that modify data within the .app bundle after installation are increasingly rare, especially with more using Code Signing and App Sandbox.

Using app cleaner/uninstaller utilities for deleting 1Password isn't recommended because there's risk of also unintentionally deleting personal data.

@thightower suggested:

I would remove the app only and reinstall from the Mac App Store, Just drag the actually app to the trash, and re-download, would be my personal resolution.

Also this: How to remove Mac App Store apps that appear in Launchpad :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

How did you originally install the webstore version and had you previously been running a beta version? My hunch is that's where the naming mixup started.

I was running the beta until the official version was released. I have a license from AgileBits, so I downloaded the 1P from the web store, not the Mac App Store. I followed these instructions on how to install the release version. I've probably forgotten some other things, but I'm reasonably sure I did this on the day the 1P 4 was released to the AgileBits web store.

I've stopped using the betas because I had lost track of progress during a two week lapse in my ability to keep up.

• Hi @hawkmoth,

Thanks for the details. Let us know if it happens again and we'd take a look but so far, I haven't seen anything like this from other folks.

This discussion has been closed.