Has MAS v 4.0.3 solved most problems? [Mostly, 4.0.5 is submitted and more updates are coming]

Options
Jeffois
Jeffois
Community Member
edited November 2013 in Mac

Folks,

I've held off on the upgrade thanks to the warnings posted here. Would most of you say that the version posted just a few days ago has solved most of the problems, or have they persisted?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Jeffois
    Jeffois
    Community Member
    Options

...I'm using MAS version 3.9 no problem, but looking forward to gaining the benefits of the upgrade, as long as it's no longer bug-filled, as it seemed to be initially... Thanks for any input from those of you who are pioneers!!

• Hi @Jeffois,

We fixed the most serious issues that were reported in 4.0.

There are a few issues that we are working for the next update that should be completed in the next few days:

• If you use Dropbox and your .agilekeychain file is not in ~/Dropbox/1Password/ folder then there is a problem where 1Password will not detect changes made by Dropbox until it is unlocked or until the active vault is changed.
    • Import from LastPass creates large number of duplicate items.
    • When upgrading from 1Password 3, if there are multiple .agilekeychain files found in the system, the default vault is currently chosen based on the file modification timestamp. Unfortunately, it did not work for some customers and the outdated file is offered to be used by default. This might make it look like the data is lost during the upgrade. We are going to change that to choose the .agilekeychain with most items instead.
  • Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately data loss going from 3.9 to 4 wasn't serious enough :(

(Though I'm currently getting nice, good and detailed help from @sjk trying to fix the issue)

• fahnoe
    fahnoe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @roustem,

We are going to change that to choose the .agilekeychain with most items instead.

If multiple keychains are encountered during the upgrade, may I suggest that you prompt the user, showing the keychains with modify dates, locations, and possibly item counts please? I'm back on 3.8.21 after having problems with MAS 3.9 to MAS 4.0--if I had seen that there were multiple keychains being selected from it might have saved some of the frustrations.

--Larry

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @Niklas.

Thanks for the suggestion, @fahnoe. I've noted it in our tracker.

• Jeffois
    Jeffois
    Community Member
    Options

When you say data loss…how significant is this? Is it the attachments issue? I mean, I realize for those who use attachments, that's a very big deal, truly. Or are we talking about whole sign-ins gone missing? I'm just wondering what the level of badness is here, and quite frankly, as one who doesn't have attachments to lose, if that's the extent of it…

• MikeT
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi @Jeffois,

In the original 4.0 version that was released at the Mac App Store, the sandboxing blocked the attachments from being imported into the new 1Password 4 format. The items were there, just not the attachments.

There was another sandboxing bug that prevented 1Password from syncing the changes to another Mac, so the data is only on one side even if Dropbox appears to be working just fine.

Both are fixed in the 4.0.3 update. The 4.0.4 update should resolve the rest of the sandboxing issues, hopefully.

• Jeffois
    Jeffois
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. I inhaled deeply, steeled my spine, and installed 4 on my Mac. So far so good. Thanks!

• macgabe
    macgabe
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Because we're still having big problems with Dropbox syncing, on the issue of multiple keychains: I found several Agile folders and files in Dropbox. Very difficult to know what is what since it seems 1P must have changed its save format. By trial and error I removed some items (a folder with various items within it) and relabelled them onto my desktop, keeping the newest version (a single "icon") in Dropbox. That seemed to improve things.

We finally managed to sync btw Mac (NB website-version of software NOT App store, as is always reported), iPad and iPhone, on an intermittent basis. That is to say sometimes it works, sometimes not. Nearly always throws up errors on both Iphone and ipad. Manually syncing sometimes works sometimes doesn't. We have both 1P3 and 1P4 installed and keep trying with both versions with similar results. For the last few weeks we've basically resorted to writing passwords down on scraps of paper - so hope there will be a fix soon!

When we did finally manage a sync, we got multiple fields eg website1 and website2. But that's fine, I don't mind deleting fields later. In fact it's a good solution to what must be a difficult problem. But I do need a sync that actually updates all three devices.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@macgabe

There is a fw bugs related to syncing and iOS 7 in the iOS version of 1Password. A bug fix has already been submitted according to staff.
    This post should shed some light on the subject. iO7 bug fix submitted to Apple

In re to the save format no 1Password has not changed. You note you have multiple keychains, I suspect those folder were possibly part of those other keychains/vaults. Please don't delete them until you are sure you have all your data. I would keep them, safe for quite a while. Just to be sure you have everything. Of course it could be from an old leftover keychain, that a password was forgotten to.

• manny
    manny
    Community Member
    Options

I'm surprised these bugs haven't been revealed and fixed during the beta period. I'll wait until these issues are solved before I migrate to the MAS version.

• macgabe
    macgabe
    Community Member
    Options

@thightower

We actually only started with one working keychain before all the upgrades of Mavericks, iOS, and 1P itself. Although I hadn't inspected Dropbox for a few months, it is possible the duplicate file structure was created some time ago, but I think it's more likely it was created recently.

Despite our best efforts, the three devices started running along two separate sync paths: one via iCloud and the other via Dropbox, each with it's own version of the data. We kept trying to switch them around to get them working together and that's where I suspect the two keychains came from in dropbox.

Anyway, it looks you have a fix on the way, so I look forward to trying that out when it gets approved. Fortunately there aren't many changes to this keychain normally, so data loss shouldn't be a major worry. But I will keep a hold of that other keychain, just in case. Cheers.

• Hi guys,

@macgabe:

on the issue of multiple keychains: I found several Agile folders and files in Dropbox. Very difficult to know what is what since it seems 1P must have changed its save format.

1Password 4 didn't change its format for the Dropbox sync, it remains the same.

Also, 1Password doesn't create Agile folders, there is only one folder it creates and that is 1Password in the Dropbox folder. The default data file name is 1Password.agilekeychain for the primary vault.

Are you using multiple vaults? If yes, that might be it. If you enable the sync for each vault, it'll export the (vault name).agilekeychain in your preferred location in the Dropbox.

That is to say sometimes it works, sometimes not. Nearly always throws up errors on both Iphone and ipad.

That's because you may have too many data files in your Dropbox folder, the apps are getting confused as to which file to sync with. A perfect sync with your iOS should only involve one _1Password.agilekeychain_in your Dropbox folder.

We're working on an update for the iOS app to support multiple vaults but for now, you should only sync with the primary vault.

For the last few weeks we've basically resorted to writing passwords down on scraps of paper - so hope there will be a fix soon!

There's no fix for this because it is a configuration issue with too many data files in the mix, you have to get in touch with us at support+forum@agilebits.com and let us help you set this properly.

we got multiple fields eg website1 and website2.

That sounds like there's an old version somewhere in your network. We had a silly bug in one of the old versions where syncing over Dropbox would duplicate the website field.

Please email us and we'll help you fix this. Also, if you could include this link in your email:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/90492/#Comment_90492

That'll direct our email guys to your post here and help them connect the dots as to what we need to do.

Thanks!

@manny:

I'm surprised these bugs haven't been revealed and fixed during the beta period. I'll wait until these issues are solved before I migrate to the MAS version.

Many of these issues were not bought up in the beta process because our beta team were only using the website version where the # of issues are tiny. The big news here is that the sandboxing issues were preventing the sync from working properly, which we only found after the app was released at MAS. None of us saw it coming. We're already adjusting to improve our QA process here to try to prevent this from happening again.

We're releasing multiple updates to resolve them. I'd suggest holding off until 4.0.6 is released at the Mac App Store, which should resolve the last set of sandboxing issues. 4.0.5 has already been submitted a few days ago to help resolve other reported issues while we continue to work on more improvements.

• manny
    manny
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Thanks for your answer, I'll wait until 4.0.6 (or 4.0.7) to migrate to the MAS version.

• Hi @manny,

You're welcome! Keep us apprised of anything.

This discussion has been closed.