do i update web-bought version through app store?

Options
jajacobs
jajacobs
Community Member

i bought a family license for 1password for mac version 4 from the web site, not the apple app store. the app store is prompting me to update 1password. should i do that or is the web download update process different from the app version update process? i do not see an "update" option within 1password (not under About or Help or Preferences). thanks for any help you can provide!

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

This sounds a little strange to me! Do you have any older 1P Mac App Store version on your machine still? Did you ever have one which you bought from the Mac App Store? The two update processes should be entirely different: MAS version updates from MAS and AgileBits' store version updates from AgileBits' store.

Stephen

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

@jajacobs

It may be easier to tell which version of the app you are running by the name.

• 1Password is the Mac App Store version's name of the app.
    • 1Password 4 is the web site's name of the app.

The updater location in 1Password 4:

• jajacobs
    jajacobs
    Community Member
    Options

thanks for this! i had not bothered to look in my applications folder and after your replies i did and discovered i had, apparently, bought an app store version at some point by mistake. so i had two version and was running the app store version when i thought i was running web site download version! i downloaded the latest web site version because the one i had was a beta version that had expired. now it is working fine!

may i assume i can delete the app store version without a problem?

thanks for your help!!!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There is an article here on migrating from the MAS version to the web store version which may help you. You should be able to delete the MAS version without affecting the web store version but:

1. to be on the safe side don't use any app cleaner (which searches for and deletes files which it fondly imagines are associated with the app you are deleting);
    2. make sure you have all your expected items in the web store version first.

Stephen

• jajacobs
    jajacobs
    Community Member
    Options

that is very helpful! thanks. i'll try this.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @jajacobs.

Please let us know if there's anything more we can help you with, but it looks like @thightower and @Stephen_C were already helpfully helpful enough. :)

This discussion has been closed.